Home hairdressing tips?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Girl

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:05 PM

DH and DS are both overdue for haircuts. We’re all at home now, and I’m tentatively facing my new role as the family hairdresser. This is a daunting task for me - I’m not normally one to DIY this kind of thing!

They both have wavy hair. DH’s is thick and DS’ is fine. Can you share any tips, good tutorials etc on how to do a passable job as a complete amateur?

#2 jayskette

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:24 PM

start man buns. problem solved!

#3 RichardParker

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

DH gave himself a buzzcut with the clippers.

I do the boys' hair with hairdressing scissors (you can get these from the chemist).  Cut in combed sections vertically, hot horizontally.  

Remember that wavy hair is much longer when wet, so don't cut too much off or it will bounce back too short when dry.

My hair hasn't been cut in nearly a year, so I'm just letting it grow out.

#4 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:04 PM

Do they wear it short or long? Could they go short, at least at the sides? I do my boys hair. Clippers on 3 for the back and sides, 2 at the nape of the neck. Scissors and a comb to trim the top.

We have these:
https://www.shaversh...d=hair-clippers

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 31 March 2020 - 08:06 PM.

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

We have clippers that I used on my son when he refused haircuts.

I am terrible at it, but my advice is, start with the longest comb, do that all over, then go shorter, slowly, around the back and sides. Then trim around the ears and neckline. Scissors are handy around the fringe area.
It only looks bad for a few days then your mistakes will grow out.

#6 BadCat

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:07 PM

Edited by BadCat, 11 May 2020 - 09:08 PM.

#7 Paddlepop

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

Clippers. No. 3 all over then no. 2 around the ears and nape of the neck. Trim stray hairs with scissors. Done.

Get something like this:
https://www.shaversh...l-hair-clippers

#8 xx1stxx

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:53 PM

Both my DS's need haircuts also, it will just be growing out from here on in.  Im too scared i will give them mullets.

#9 Jingleflea

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:10 PM

You tube!

#10 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:32 PM

I'm more worried about my hair tbh. The kids will be glad for not having to go through it.
I'm getting serious split ends and had meant to book an appointment months ago. I tried to book one but I couldn't fit one in before I pulled the kids from school two weeks ago.
It's down to my bum though so at least I've got plenty of spare length for mistakes lol.

#11 (feral)epg

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:38 PM

I did my 4 yo's hair the other day.

I'm now hoping for a LONG lockdown.

#12 wilding

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:00 PM

View PostJingleflea, on 31 March 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

You tube!

This makes me thing of Brad Mondo, after all of this he'll need to do a coronavirus lockdown haircut reaction video :p

#13 BECZ

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:01 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 31 March 2020 - 08:04 PM, said:

Do they wear it short or long? Could they go short, at least at the sides? I do my boys hair. Clippers on 3 for the back and sides, 2 at the nape of the neck. Scissors and a comb to trim the top.

We have these:
https://www.shaversh...d=hair-clippers

Oh! Can I just ask you, does it cut out when you turn the clippers upside down?
DF went to buy this exact model the other day, but they didn’t have any left, but sold him a classic edition which the shop assistant said was exactly the same.  From what I can tell (all new to me) it is minus a comb and the hair clips.
When I tried it on DS1 last night, it kept cutting out, particularly if I turned it over.
Is this normal, am I doing something wrong or is this just a dodgy?  There doesn’t seem to be anything stuck inside it.

I have the same situation OP.  DF insisted that I cut his hair, so i decided to practise on DS1 and DS2 as they can’t go out anywhere at the moment, so nobody can see them (they were fine with me doing this to them), where DF still has to work in the public eye.
It’s a good time for trying thing out.

This is the one he bought.

Attached Files

Edited by BECZ, 31 March 2020 - 10:03 PM.

#14 IamOzgirl

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:04 PM

View PostPocketIcikleflakes, on 31 March 2020 - 09:32 PM, said:

I'm more worried about my hair tbh. The kids will be glad for not having to go through it.
I'm getting serious split ends and had meant to book an appointment months ago. I tried to book one but I couldn't fit one in before I pulled the kids from school two weeks ago.
It's down to my bum though so at least I've got plenty of spare length for mistakes lol.

Yep. I have had one hair cut in 18mths.

I was working up the courage to go again (it's triggering)

So I just cut about an inch off.

Meh...

#15 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

BECZ I bought our set a while ago and never had that problem. I think you have a faulty set. :(

#16 BECZ

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:48 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 31 March 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

BECZ I bought our set a while ago and never had that problem. I think you have a faulty set. :(

Thanks.
I thought that it might be.  DF was meant to take it back today and ask them, but didn’t get around to it.
Thanks again!

#17 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:30 AM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 31 March 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

Yep. I have had one hair cut in 18mths.

I was working up the courage to go again (it's triggering)

So I just cut about an inch off.

Meh...

I've been googling so I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. I'm going for the unicorn ponytail at front of hairline then cut the end method.

Hopefully I don't give the kids ideas...

#18 Ellie bean

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:39 AM

At a time like this I’m glad I married a hairdresser (gloats and slowly backs away...)

#19 overlytired

Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:45 AM

View PostJingleflea, on 31 March 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

You tube!

Like this?

#20 BECZ

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:09 AM

View Postoverlytired, on 01 April 2020 - 01:45 AM, said:

Like this?

Oh dear!
You’re making me nervous.

I did watch a couple of demonstrations on YouTube the other day OP which helped me get an idea where to start, but they were specifically ones for using clippers.

#21 overlytired

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:32 AM

BECZ, the clippers should not cut out as you move around.

OP, as PP suggested, a buzz cut is easiest to maintain – hard to mess up spectacularly, any mistakes grow out quickly and can be fixed. You could also just use the clippers to clean up the back and around the ears if they don't want to go that short. I'll second the recommendation to watch YouTube videos.

#22 Silverstreak

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:34 AM

Invest in a clipper set and a pair of hairdressing scissors! DS doesn't like going to the hairdresser, so DH cuts his hair. We sit him on the kitchen stool with a long sleeve t-shirt, next to the bathroom sink. DH watched a couple of youtube videos on it and got cracking.

The only thing is, by the time DH would get to the fringe, DS would have had enough, so his fringes tended to be a bit uneven. He's a lot more patient nowadays though. DH does a short back and sides and longer on the top.

Otherwise, yeah, go the man bun. I think long hair on boys looks great, but DS doesn't like hair in his eyes and won't let me tie it back, so he wears it short.

#23 Charli73

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:01 AM

I have a good pair of clippers from when DS refused to go to barber. He has ASD so it’s always been a battle but he let me do it again this week. I watched heaps of YouTube clips and bought a hairdressers cape then DH got the blower vac from the garden to get the loose hair off him, it was cut outside.

Doesn’t look perfect but it will grow back in a couple of days.

#24 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:03 AM

Brad Mondo has just put up a Youtube on how to cut hair at home. I rushed out 2 weeks ago when it was rumored to go total lockdown and brought a clipper and scissor set.  DH needs a haircut every 3 weeks or his bristle hair starts to prickle his ears and neck.

#25 Ozquoll

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:44 AM

View PostEllie bean, on 01 April 2020 - 12:39 AM, said:

At a time like this I’m glad I married a hairdresser (gloats and slowly backs away...)
Curse you Ellie Bean!

*Shakes fist and glowers*

💆💇😒

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.