Clever baking ideas

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Baily

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:42 AM

So I was just going to make a coconut and chocolate slice, then realised that 125g of butter was a lot to use if I want to keep self isolating as much as possible.

Please share your trusted recipes which use basic ingredients.

#2 seayork2002

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:30 AM

Great idea OP, we made chocolate chip cookies on the weekend but the recipe is at home.

I had one recipe that would have used 175g of butter so no way I was going to do that! the one we made was a better balance.

I will think and repost if I have any more ideas

oh Anzac biscuits but I can't remember the recipe I used years ago so all mine since have been awful

#3 cstar

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

I made something last week can’t remember what it was though. But I cut the butter back and added oil to make up the  difference, it worked a treat, I also cut back the sugar abit too.

#4 laridae

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:58 AM

A lot of things like cakes you can substitute vegetable oil. I did get a big tub of margarine for cooking with so I could save the butter for spreading.

#5 laridae

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:03 AM

And for all those people that stocked up on tinned chickpeas. The liquid from the cans makes a great substitute for egg white.

#6 turbulent

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:03 AM

Carrot cake is good for going without butter, if you have a slow cooker I have found desserts/cakes cooked in that use less butter and flour

#7 BECZ

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:24 AM

View Postcstar, on 02 April 2020 - 09:52 AM, said:

I made something last week can’t remember what it was though. But I cut the butter back and added oil to make up the  difference, it worked a treat, I also cut back the sugar abit too.

Yes I found this very useful when I wanted to use up coconut oil that was meant to be tasteless but wasn’t (as long as coconut flavour went with whatever I was making).

#8 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:24 AM

I'd make more scone/bread things. They generally are pretty basic, and only use a small amount of butter/sugar. In fact, pikelets are a complete winner. I might make some this arvo :)

#9 BECZ

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:33 AM

I bought milk powder to use in baking if we had to go into full lockdown, to help ration the fresh milk.

#10 Inkogneatoh

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:19 PM

I need to do some baking, as part of a gift for later this month, and it's making me cringe. So many of my recipes involve such large amounts of things. They are also hard to scale down in a lot of cases. So I'll probably check back here for other suggestions as well.

My biscuit recipe uses 500g of butter. I'm also looking at 300g or so for my "plain" cake mix (still deciding which flavour, and may skip this as I'm sure I've got the ingredients for a flourless cake that uses oil), and another 250 for the fruit cake (aka "Birthday cake"). And that's before we look at the flour, sugar and carton of eggs I'm also looking at using.

On the plus side that will result in about 60 biscuits. The plain cake turns out about 5cm high and is baked in 2 slice tins. The fruit cake is rather large as well, as I know it bakes up to about 20 muffin sized cakes. It uses a lot, but makes a lot, so doesn't seem overly excessive when you look at the end results.

As for recipes, my scone recipe requires no butter in the making, just in the eating. It's 3 cups SR flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 300ml cream and about 150ml of water. Mix until just combined, flatten, cut and bake at 220 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. Again, makes a fair few. Also as an unsweetened dough, I've used it to make vegemite and cheese scrolls in the past, so it lends it's self to variations.

The biscuits are condensed milk biscuits. 1 tin of condensed milk, 500g softened butter and 4 cups of flour. Mixed, shaped, baked in a moderate oven until slightly golden. I divide the mix. Turn some into jam drops, some into choc chip, some are dipped in 100's and 1000's and some others are random. Last batch included some with cocoa and chopped cherries, others just had glaced ginger folded through, I've used marmalade and nutella instead of jam, topped with smarties, added rose water etc. As mentioned above it makes a lot, but due to the condensed milk I find it difficult to scale down (and an open tin of condensed milk is dangerous in my house).

#11 Etta

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:29 PM

View PostInkogneatoh, on 02 April 2020 - 12:19 PM, said:

I need to do some baking, as part of a gift for later this month, and it's making me cringe.

If someone gave me homemade biscuits at the moment I probably wouldn't eat them. I might put them in the freezer for sometime or put in the oven if they could do with a bit more browning but I would be really wary of anything that can't be reheated (like soups or casseroles).

If you are giving them away you might like to let the person know what you did to avoid contamination such as using tongs to put them straight into the container then sealing immediately.

I am going out to shop still when necessary so maybe that is overkill but it is all these incidental cross overs that I will avoide if I can unlike shopping (can't avoid). And DH going to work in retail!

#12 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:37 PM

I’ve got heaps of butter but little flour and one egg!!

#13 seayork2002

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 02 April 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

I’ve got heaps of butter but little flour and one egg!!

a small amount of pancakes?

#14 cstar

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:43 PM

And why is there no butter?  What is that? Where does our butter come from?

#15 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:02 PM

I saw a recipe for 3 ingredient dunking cookies.  Flour, egg, choc chips - can't find the recipe now though.  Will be good after Easter if you plan on giving Easter eggs.

I made a pizza dough - so good and easy.  Plain flour, yeast, salt, oil water.

#16 PrincessPeach

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:11 PM

I thought butter was made within Australia, given the amount of milk we produce.

#17 cstar

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:37 PM

I don’t get why people seem to have hoarded butter? But I guess nothing people have been doing regards to shopping makes much sense.

#18 Riotproof

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:42 PM

View Postcstar, on 02 April 2020 - 12:43 PM, said:

And why is there no butter?  What is that? Where does our butter come from?

people stocking up?

#19 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:43 PM

https://www.nigella....-chocolate-cake

This is my favourite egg free, butter free, can be dairy free choc cake. Ds2 is allergic to eggs so this gets made regularly here and it’s delicious!

#20 laridae

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:05 PM

I don't think people have hoarded butter. But given the current state, I don't think ducking out to the shops everytime you need an ingredient is feasible either.
Nor can you buy large amounts of anything, even if you need them for something you are cooking.

#21 MakesMeHappy

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

View Postcstar, on 02 April 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

I don’t get why people seem to have hoarded butter? But I guess nothing people have been doing regards to shopping makes much sense.

I have a tendency to hoard butter anyway! It’s something that if in doubt I always grab another one, so something j have 3 or for in the fridge! I’m a shocker for it. I have consciously made the decision not to buy anymore since everyone went hoarder crazy as I have a couple to get us through and we have just cut back on the baking.

I can’t think of any good recipes at the moment.. but I do have a craving for honey joys

#22 caitiri

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:21 PM

I made this the other day

https://foodapparel.com/pear-cake/

and like she suggested it notes I subbed out the milk in the cake part for pear juice from the can.  That particular recipe does use a lot of butter for the caramel but I think you could make a tea cake kind of thing with the same technique.

btw do not make this cake if your trying to lose any weight

#23 JK4

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:27 PM

We make a chocolate cake recipe of my husband’s grandmother regularly. Great cupcakes or small loaf. Recipe is 3/4 cup Sugar (I use less), tablespoon cocoa, 1 cup SR flour, 3/4 cup milk, 1 egg, 30g butter melted. Mix together. Bake at 170, cupcakes 15 min, loaf 40 min. Ice with basic icing sugar, water, butter, cocoa mix. Kids love it, easy and we usually have the ingredients on hand.

#24 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:22 PM

I have some much older cookbooks which make a number of "economy" recipes. These use less rich ingredients and are also a lot lower in sugar in many cases (most modern cake recipes give me a sugar headache)

Basic Aussie Women's Weekly Cake

ETA: make this as a half batch and add lots of stuff and you'll cut down on the butter -- but this is a recipe that also makes the butter go a fair way

125g butter
1/2 cup sugar
Vanilla to taste
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 cups Self Raising flour

Method:
Cream butter and sugar with vanilla, beat in eggs one at a time.

Fold in sifted flour alternately with milk. Turn into a prepared cake tin.

Cook in a moderate oven for 50 to 60 minutes.

Variations:
Top with sliced apple and cinnamon and sugar before baking

Mix in a small can of pie fruit at the end for a lighter fruity cake (this is great dessert served hot with custard or ice cream -- also works very well with a half batch of cake which makes a fruitier dessert)

Substitute some of the flour for cocoa powder and add choc bits or grated chocolate for a chocolate cake.

Add desiccated coconut for a coconut cake.

You get the idea : :):

ETA: this also makes ok patty cakes

Edited by Sugarplum Poobah, 02 April 2020 - 05:50 PM.

#25 QuirkyMum

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:54 PM

Order a 4 litre bottle of rice bran oil.
Use instead of melted butter.
No smell, no taste, cheap, relatively healthy, perfect for baking and ( as per last week) available at Woolies.

Alternatively, make tea cakes that use maybe 150 gr of old yoghurt or sourcream and no butter.
Or not even yoghurt.
Downside - they are awesome on the day you baked them and not very edible after...

My favourite:
Turn oven on.
Cut 6-8 apples in chunks or 1.5 cm cubes and put them all in buttered cake tin.
Beat 3 large eggs with 1 cup of sugar, add 1 cup of self raising flour and beat a bit more.
When it looks well beaten, pour over apples and bake for 20-30 minutes. Temperature - 180 degrees. Due to high amount of sugar can easily burn!!! Very easy to make once you've done it once and know how your oven behaves and what tin/ how thick cake is.
Eat while warm. Not very edible on day two so better make a small apple cake every night rather than one big one every other day!
Can be made with frozen or fresh berries but can become soggy and definitely not edible once it's cooled down. Apple version is the best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.