My poor itchy hands!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

All this hand washing and soap and sanitiser has, predictably, cause my hands to break out in itchy rash.

What are you best tips for managing this?

Ordinarily I avoid all soaps and just use water, but I feel a social obligation to use more than that these days.

Moisturisers only help so much because I eventually get a rash from the moisturiser itself.
Antihistamines help, but make me drowsy and fog my brain, even just telfast. So they’re a last resort
Cortisone doesn’t do much when it’s this bad, and it gets washed off during the day too.

I have woken up in the middle of the night twice now just cause my hands are so itchy. The other night I had to put an ice block on my hands to get back to sleep.

Help!

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 02 April 2020 - 05:26 PM.

#2 JustBeige

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:30 PM

Can you use something that still washes but 'soap' free. like QV wash.  So still a cleaning agent but without the harsh soap ingredients

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:34 PM

View PostJustBeige, on 02 April 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

Can you use something that still washes but 'soap' free. like QV wash.  So still a cleaning agent but without the harsh soap ingredients

I do use a mild wash when at home, but it seems just the increased frequency, even with mild stuff, I’m getting a rash. I’ll try a different brand though, don’t think I’ve tried QV.

And then when out and about, no choice f course. I used whatever they had at woolies to sterilise my hands and a trolley the other day. Big mistake!

#4 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:34 PM

I use QV skin lotion on my hands now. It's very light so doesn't sit there. It's a moisturizer still though.

Does antihistamine do anything for rashes?

#5 *Marty*

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:35 PM

I have been using Lucas ointment (or vasaline) and it seems to help

#6 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:36 PM

Yes, get some soap free.  It is not the soap that kills the virus, anything with a surfactant that can break down the lipid (fatty) outside of the virus will kill it.

I feel for you though - I struggle with the skin on my hands too.  My skin is currently peeling to the extent that  I cant use the fingerprint ID on my phone.  It doesn't recognise me.

#7 JustBeige

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:37 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 02 April 2020 - 05:34 PM, said:

I do use a mild wash when at home, but it seems just the increased frequency, even with mild stuff, I’m getting a rash. I’ll try a different brand though, don’t think I’ve tried QV.

And then when out and about, no choice f course. I used whatever they had at woolies to sterilise my hands and a trolley the other day. Big mistake!

what about using rubber gloves when you are out. That way you dont have to worry about the harsh stuff they are using in the shops.

I usually take 2-3 pairs and just swap them out.
then I only have to sanitize once I am done and back in the car

#8 mandala

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:41 PM

Overnight, put lansinoh or similar on your hands, then a pair of cotton gloves - it will do the best at trying to repair your skin. You will probably not be able to get it, but microshield is a good soap that won't kill your hands.

QV and QV intensive are the best moisturiser brands I've tried for my/my kids' sensitive skin.

#9 Ivy Ivy

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

If you are home - maybe don't wash your hands so much, just after toilet or before preparing food for others?
Basically your home with surfaces you've touched multiple times probably has your germs everywhere.

Intact skin is the first line of defense against infection.  Broken skin is a real infection risk.  It's probably worth reducing frequency of hand washing to ensure your skin in unbroken (unless you are dealing with others in your job).

#10 Rowenas necklace

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

View PostIvy Ivy, on 02 April 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

If you are home - maybe don't wash your hands so much, just after toilet or before preparing food for others?
Basically your home with surfaces you've touched multiple times probably has your germs everywhere.

Intact skin is the first line of defense against infection.  Broken skin is a real infection risk.  It's probably worth reducing frequency of hand washing to ensure your skin in unbroken (unless you are dealing with others in your job).

This is where I'm at - I'm washing with Dermaveen soap-free wash and using the thickest, goopiest dermeze moisturiser multiple times a day (which makes it hard to do anything because it takes ages to soak in) and my hands are still cracking and bleeding in a couple of spots.

I figure reducing handwashing a little bit while in isolation at home is better than having open wounds.

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:15 PM

My GP just gave me an info sheet on bleach baths and Microshield T wash or QV flare up for the eczema flare up on my legs. Maybe you can do a daily hand bath?

#12 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:28 PM

We use QV lotion at work, as it doesn't reduce the effectiveness of hand sanitiser. Ideally apply it after every single hand wash episode.

At home I use lots of La Roche Posay Cicaplast Mains and also the Baume.

https://www.laroche-...eam-p11883.aspx
https://www.laroche-...balm-p6935.aspx
Someone here recommended them and they are great.  I wash or sanitise very frequently at work, and have had dermatitis inn the past.

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 02 April 2020 - 10:30 PM.

#13 Ellie bean

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:16 AM

QV gentle wash is great, their hand cream is good too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.