Angry 3 year old.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newmumandexcited

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:29 PM

Is it normal for three year olds to be angry? Like a lot - really enjoying creating havoc and being actively aggressive.

I have a 5 yo and twin 3 yo. The other two are pretty mild. Then one of the twins is just ott.

- he’s well-behaved for other people and daycare - actually seems quite mild as he doesn’t talk as much as the other two
- intensely curious and remembers everything, obsessed with trying new foods etc, loves animals and babies, will never watch tv etc though loves building
- is just so aggressive, will go out of his way to hurt his brothers esp when feeling wronged
- does things like walks over blocks etc deliberately
- spits etc when disciplined, says things like ‘you’re not coming to my party’ or ‘I’m going to throw this at you’ before pausing and doing so

Has anyone had a seemingly aggressive angry 3 yo? I know they are labels as such but just wondering how you coped.

#2 Caribou

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:47 PM

I had an aggressive 2yo. Screamed and hit everything. Insanely switched on and pushed his boundaries hard as he could. Drove me to the brink of insanity. Best behaved kid for everyone else though. Really made me question my parenting.

He’s since mellowed our, still has angry bursts, not no where as intense. It took insane amount of reinforcement and DH had to really push back and say ‘no, it’s not okay to do that.’

I suspect my DS is gifted, and is struggling with his 3yo limitations. Like I said, he’s better but not 100% his sister is gifted so they are frustrated by their ages.

Do you feel your DS is similar?

#3 newmumandexcited

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:23 AM

View PostCaribou, on 02 April 2020 - 06:47 PM, said:

I had an aggressive 2yo. Screamed and hit everything. Insanely switched on and pushed his boundaries hard as he could. Drove me to the brink of insanity. Best behaved kid for everyone else though. Really made me question my parenting.

He’s since mellowed our, still has angry bursts, not no where as intense. It took insane amount of reinforcement and DH had to really push back and say ‘no, it’s not okay to do that.’

I suspect my DS is gifted, and is struggling with his 3yo limitations. Like I said, he’s better but not 100% his sister is gifted so they are frustrated by their ages.

Do you feel your DS is similar?

This could be true - his curiosity is next level and daycare have described him as ‘beyond his years’ because there he just sits and watches to see what people are doing. He’s the type of kid who never stood up, then watched his brother do it and walked the next day.

The age frustration thing does ring true. Thanks so much.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 03 April 2020 - 04:25 AM.

#4 Caribou

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

Sounds like a switched into kid. What’s worked for us is constant stimulation. Keeping him busy as possible. Which is so so hard when you have other kids to factor in. Preschool is one way of keeping the stimulation up. Maybe up his days at preschool, or look into programs that can keep him from getting bored but satisfy his curiosity.

And of course, a lot of reinforcement of what’s ok and what’s not, DD hates time out chair. To sit and wait 3 minutes? He gets the message. Mind you took a few goes for that message to stick!

Good luck, when in doubt they do say get it checked out. Nothing wrong with asking for a paed assessment but seeing his age, chances are they’ll want you to wait, nonetheless ask :)

#5 newmumandexcited

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:06 PM

View PostCaribou, on 03 April 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

Sounds like a switched into kid. What’s worked for us is constant stimulation. Keeping him busy as possible. Which is so so hard when you have other kids to factor in. Preschool is one way of keeping the stimulation up. Maybe up his days at preschool, or look into programs that can keep him from getting bored but satisfy his curiosity.

And of course, a lot of reinforcement of what’s ok and what’s not, DD hates time out chair. To sit and wait 3 minutes? He gets the message. Mind you took a few goes for that message to stick!

Good luck, when in doubt they do say get it checked out. Nothing wrong with asking for a paed assessment but seeing his age, chances are they’ll want you to wait, nonetheless ask :)

What do you do now with her? I think that’s the problem - all these long hours at home bore him..

#6 Caribou

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:39 PM

Sorry, should have written DS! 😂

With DS, I give him the iPad. I only have so much energy to give. And I work from home. I know it’s probably not the answer you were hoping for!

Pre-virus I took him to story time twice a week at library and playgroup. Now those have closed... it’s been a bit of iPad.

I’ve tried to make sure all the apps were educational. E.g learning the alphabet/numbers I chucked on Duolingo for kids on too. He’s fluent in French now! Better than me. 😂

I can’t wait for DS to be in primary. I know it will be much better for him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.