Covid musings - will break and enter theft go down?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:13 PM

Just wondering with more people WFH and not going out, I wonder, as a side effect of Covid-19, if theft (break and enter) of homes will go down?

#2 Hands Up

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:20 PM

Yep. I reckon so.

#3 caitiri

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

No a lot of burglaries happen at night when people are sleeping.

I think it’s likely that violent home invasions will go up

If they do go down it’s probably more likely a result of jobseeker rate going up plus the removal of mutual obligations and therefore payment suspension

#4 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:27 PM

Nope. The police in quite a few places are putting people known to them, on notice that they are being watched. They are also jumping on B&E’s as quickly as possible, to try and stay ahead of it all.

#5 Yippee-Ki-Yay

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:29 PM

When populations change behaviour crimes tend to be displaced, not necessarily going down, just moving. Home invasion/burglary will likely go down but theft from businesses and break ins at commercial properties is likely to increase.

#6 Mrs Zee

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:33 PM

I don't know about breaking into homes as such but crime will increase as people become more desperate. I don't think the fact people are home, really stops many criminals anyway.

I have no doubt there will be more instances of things like stealing handbags, breaking into cars etc though.

#7 Bono25

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:36 PM

Lots more cars being broken into around here instead. They just move from one target to another.

#8 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

it’s funny....a few days ago dh had taken the boys out to exercise, and i was heading up the street for supplies. the back door was open and normally that wouldn’t really bother me ...meh, what will they take? TV? (nup, most of them don’t bother) - jewellery (i was wearing my most cherished pieces), camera equipment? ipads? it’s all insured ..and then i regret to say i did think “sh*t what if they take our loo paper and pasta”. i locked the back door.

#9 IamOzgirl

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

View PostYippee-Ki-Yay, on 02 April 2020 - 08:29 PM, said:

When populations change behaviour crimes tend to be displaced, not necessarily going down, just moving. Home invasion/burglary will likely go down but theft from businesses and break ins at commercial properties is likely to increase.

I believe it already has.

I can't remember where I heard, may at the shops?

#10 seayork2002

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

I think it may go up, or alter slightly as in stealing from yards or break and enter into more commercial than residential or cars

#11 ballogo

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:57 PM

Our church was broken into. Computer and other technology was stolen.

#12 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:04 PM

I reckon it will be harder for people with addictions to fund them so break and enter will go up.  They might be more likely to wear gloves when they do it?

#13 Cimbom

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:14 PM

Gun purchases have gone up here and in the US

#14 IamOzgirl

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

View PostCimbom, on 02 April 2020 - 09:14 PM, said:

I believe that gun license application approval has been suspended.

#15 lizzzard

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:27 PM

Economic downturn = increase in crime.

As an aside, I mentioned to DH I’m already feeling unsafe walking alone at night on my own. Streets are deserted, I feel a lot more vulnerable. I feel like society is unraveling already and it’s so early....,

#16 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:58 PM

Up.

Police family member specifically phoned me about it.

'how are we preventing entry? where will we retreat to? whats the strong point'

and that the location I select should not be where I am storing 'food or other valuables'.

But I agree there will probably also be an increase around commercial property.

#17 Gabbitz

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:02 PM

In our area b&e and all crimes are actually down at the moment (DH is a cop). It will be interesting to see how long that lasts for.

#18 Silver Girl

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:05 PM

I read on a police page that criminals are using surgical-type masks as a ‘legitimate’ way to conceal their identities.

#19 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:06 PM

our niece is a cop in our local area - DV call outs are up.

#20 27plus

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 02 April 2020 - 08:13 PM, said:

Just wondering with more people WFH and not going out, I wonder, as a side effect of Covid-19, if theft (break and enter) of homes will go down?

In short term yes, then people will get complacent.

#21 Sugarplum Poobah

View PostCimbom, on 02 April 2020 - 09:14 PM, said:

Gun and ammunition sales suspended in Victoria I believe.

#22 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:07 PM

Sorry, should have clarified. They were not worried about this week, they are worried about next month (3-6 weeks time)

#23 No Drama Please

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:23 PM

Our local Facebook group is reporting more house break ins and attempted break ins; a few had people banging on the door at night telling them to open the door, obviously terrifying, but most were very early mornings, finding someone trying to enter a garage or standing in a backyard or porch, who when interrupted say they were looking for X person or a dog or something and then quickly leave.

I think break and enter type crime would probably  go up not down during times like this. People more desperate. Less money around. Shops and offices might be closed or have less takings, so they then turn to private dwellings.

#24 Cimbom

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:05 PM

View PostSugarplum Poobah, on 02 April 2020 - 10:06 PM, said:

Gun and ammunition sales suspended in Victoria I believe.

Yep and that was the reason. The rates went up unusually over a short period

#25 rileys-mum

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:18 PM

Nope - it will go up. It is quiet now but in 3 or 4 weeks time I anticipate civil unrest will start......

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.