Revelation -mentions child abuse

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Murderino

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

I looked for a thread on this program but couldn’t find one. Hasn’t anybody watched it?

It is heartbreaking and I cried in episode two when Andrew Nash’s mother spoke of her son’s suicide and I cried with anger at Bill Burston denying the cause, calling it a prank gone wrong and then having the nerve to say he “has had enough of Andrew Nash”. I’d already been angry at him in episode one saying some victims make it up in defending Vincent Ryan just because Ryan says he has admitted all his victims - we’re  to believe the convicted sex offender are we?

And the final instalment, Bernie’s reaction to even remembering the contact from the police was heartbreaking. Having spent 40 years pushing down the horrors he experienced in Ballarat suddenly he had police contacting him. Hearing him talk I absolutely believe him on all allegations - and the other two gentleman who mention Pell touching them in the pool

I cried as they drove down Victoria Street into town and I cried at the end when he said he won’t carry the shame anymore it belongs to George.

As for Bryant saying he thinks Pell was set up. Is his ignorance of the fact most abusers show a decent face to their friends real or pretence?

And poor Steve from Mortlake being attacked at 9yo by Ridsdale, that one really hit home for me as my son is about to turn 9 and I can’t even begin to imagine that happening to him - heartbreaking. I’m glad he sued the Ballarat Diocese and I’m glad he won and got so much money out of them. As he says though money won’t help but he made them admit they knew.

That Sisters of Nazareth boy’s home is a hotel complex now and the Nazareth House girl’s home is a sought after aged care facility.

As for St Alipius they might not be physically or sexually abusing children but one story I’ve heard about how two FYOS children, one my colleague’s son who has learning difficulties, were humiliated in an assembly as “discipline” would ensure my children never set foot there even if I was willing to send them to a Catholic school.

That Vincent Ryan and so many others have not been defrocked is a disgrace and should mean not a single Catholic sets foot inside a church until every last known paedophile and their enablers is gone. I’ll bet many of those men sitting listening to Mark Coleridge speak are also guilty of abusing children or covering it up.

#2 Nozycat

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

I found this show heartbreaking - the abused, and infuriating - the abusers and protectors.

#3 ~Bob~

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:21 AM

It was eye opening, and sickening. I know this comment is going to sound naive, but it occurred to me that there would be many priests who were “called” to their vocation, not because of any call to god, but because they were pedophiles wishing to have easy access to children. You might be staggered that I only realised that, but you must excuse me on the basis that I was brought up in Dublin for the first decade of my life, and thus, the fear of god and the priests was firmly established. You didn’t question them. God was king, and they were a very close second place.

It was the perfect pedophile ring. Not only easy access to children, but within a framework that had no body questioning or daring to question anything.

I actually wanted to smash my screen with Bill said that he’d had enough of Andrew Nash. And anyone who is a pedophile apologist is a pedophile, in my opinion.

Well done to Sarah Ferguson and the ABC. Stellar job, as usual.

#4 kadoodle

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:51 AM

It galls me that these bastards are all enjoying life together in a facility just up the road from their home base in Ararat. Just hanging out and reliving their glory days.

#5 Murderino

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:06 PM

Kadoodle you’ve reminded me - in the first episode there was a shot of Vincent Ryan in his last court case - sitting there with his eyes closed as something he’d done was described by the prosecutor. I swear I thought he was reliving it.

#6 purplekitty

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:21 PM

I only saw the reaction on Twitter.

It was enough.
Such sociopathy,corruption and deliberate enablement and protection.

Pell can rot in Hell.

#7 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:17 PM

I have only watched the first episode and the one about Pell - still working my way through.

I would like to commend Sarah Ferguson and the ABC staff on the investigation and the time and dedication she has put into the series.   It must have been traumatic for her as the interviewer as well, and she was just stellar in her gentleness and compassion.

What a despicable bunch they were, and this is just the tip of an enormous iceberg.  

For anyone interested, the film Spotlight (2015) is brilliant - about the Boston Globe investigation into the Catholic Church over there.  Well worth watching.

#8 Romeo Void

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:27 PM

Just *another* reason we need our ABC.  Well done Sarah Ferguson.

#9 archyandmehitabel

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:54 PM

I don't think I can bring myself to watch it.

As I've said before on here, I was born in Ballarat, raised Catholic, was there through the whole time and we all went to Catholic schools. None of us were abused or heard a whisper of it at the time.

I have been an atheist for decades. I've followed everything on it since it all started to come out and read loads about it in Ballarat, all over Australia, Ireland and the US.

I just don't think I could watch it and see those self-justified whited sepulchres  without throwing something heavy at the TV

#10 got my tinsel on

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:09 PM

As I said on the other thread - Part 3 has been taken down from iview.

#11 Ivy Ivy

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

View Post~Bob~, on 04 April 2020 - 04:21 AM, said:

It was eye opening, and sickening. I know this comment is going to sound naive, but it occurred to me that there would be many priests who were “called” to their vocation, not because of any call to god, but because they were pedophiles wishing to have easy access to children.

I've long been curious at the likely high incidence of sexual abnormality in priests.  You cannot get a group of adult men together and say - "do this job for life, but, you can't touch an adult woman sexually ever", and get them to agree.  Almost every man would say "no way".  

I suspect almost all of those who agree, have some sort of abnormal/non mainstream sexuality one way or another, e.g. they were abused and are now avoidant, they are asexual, they are gay, they are paedophiles, the list goes on.  Sex is just such a driver for the average adult male, moreso than many women can imagine.  The priesthood is thus, statistically, a hotbed of risk.

Edited by Ivy Ivy, 07 April 2020 - 03:48 PM.

#12 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

I wonder what the reasoning behind that is?  (Taking down Pell's episode?)

Maybe to decrease the pressure on the victims that spoke out against him so courageously?  

My heart breaks for all of them, and all the other victims out there who will be damaged all over again by the commentary that will come.  I've already heard Devine and Bolt.

Edited by Ruf~Feral~es, 07 April 2020 - 03:50 PM.

#13 2020selfcare

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:54 PM

View Postgot my tinsel on, on 07 April 2020 - 03:09 PM, said:

As I said on the other thread - Part 3 has been taken down from iview.

why was part 3 taken down??

#14 Mollyksy

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:35 PM

I wonder too at the taking of young men at a young age and training them to be priests just how much of their sexualness is primed and/or imprinted at that young age around other young men. Look, I'm not giving any excuses in any way, shape or form. And as distasteful as it is, it probably is just as simple as it's a great career for an already paedophile. But I do think to understand is to hopefully stop. But like most assault, how much is true sexual urge and how much is power play.

Just saw a comment from Pell ABC runs on catholic taxes and almost vomited. For a start to lump a whole bunch of Catholics as supporting him. Blergh. And since when does the Catholic church pay tax lol?!!

#15 ~Bob~

Posted 14 April 2020 - 11:41 PM

View PostMollyksy, on 14 April 2020 - 07:35 PM, said:

And since when does the Catholic church pay tax lol?!!

Exactly!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.