Bed Making *fluffy*

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Bed Making (227 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you make your bed every day?

1. Yes (117 votes [51.54%])

Percentage of vote: 51.54%

2. No (95 votes [41.85%])

Percentage of vote: 41.85%

3. Other (15 votes [6.61%])

Percentage of vote: 6.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 can'tstayaway

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:02 PM

We haven’t had a washing or bed making thread in a while and a comment in other threads got me thinking...

Do you/someone make your bed daily?

I do a version of making our bed by folding back the covers onto itself. My theory is that it allows the bed to air during the day which is supposed to be good for bed hygiene and the covers are smooth and tidy. I fix up the pillows and make them look neat too.

I don’t care what the kids do on their beds. Or, let me clarify, I don’t mind if their beds are made or unmade. We have doonas and no flat sheet so ‘making’ a bed is pretty simple.  I don’t care if an unmade bed is in the zoom background but is that a major faux pas?

So, what’s the go in your household?

#2 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:06 PM

I actually have adopted making the beds now I’m at hope all the time. It’s been raining all week, I am over the mess everywhere.

#3 BECZ

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:14 PM

My great grandmother always used to claim that it was healthy to let some sunshine on the bed/sheets as an excuse for never making it.

Edited by BECZ, 03 April 2020 - 10:14 PM.

#4 -Emissary-

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:18 PM

Not anymore since DS2 arrived. A made bed is the last thing on my mind as I roll out of bed to attend to a newborn.

We do make DS1 make his bed though.

#5 PurplePaperFrog

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:41 PM

We make bed every morning as we get up.

Especially now that we're all home and the house can feel like a mess very quickly.

#6 lozoodle

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:09 PM

YES!!! It doesn't need to be perfect, the sheets can just be messily tossed around but as long as the Doona on top is neat and pillows put back etc, I'm happy.

It helps me start the day and stop lazing around, especially now we are all stuck at home

Also see it as a preventative measure for spiders ending up in my bed lol

Edited by lozoodle, 03 April 2020 - 11:10 PM.

#7 (feral)epg

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:05 AM

My bed: matching sheet set - fitted and flat.  Aired for an hour every morning whilst we have breakfast etc, then made perfectly and pillows fluffed.

Kids bed: mismatched fitted sheet, doona doesn't even match pillow case.  Made once every 2 weeks when they get washed.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:29 AM

I like to get into a made bed, so I make mine every day, usually after breakfast. I’m trying to get the children to make theirs - I don’t think they realise how much less messy their rooms will look.

#9 kadoodle

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:55 AM

Yes, made tight as a deterrent to cats. I don’t like hairy pussy all over my sheets. I tell the kids to make their beds, although that generally means sheets pulled up and doona dumped on top.

#10 SummerStar

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:06 AM

Not every day. In it too much lately being at home 24/7. But prior to all this I'd roughly pull the sheets up when we got up in the morning. No tucking in the sides and properly making it though.

#11 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:39 AM

Yes but after a couple of hours, I read on here its good to air it.

#12 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:10 AM

When the new sheets are put on I make the bed very well with military style cornering. Then after that top sheet and doonas are just straightened daily like PP (no extra tucking.

#13 Silverstreak

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:17 AM

When I'm off to work I don't, particularly as DS is still sleeping in my bed!

At home, yes, every day.

I have a queen size doona, a single doona and a single sheet, so things get messy if I don't make the bed. DS has the queen doona, as he's a doona hog and I like alternating between the sheet and the single doona.

So I'll smooth down the fitted sheet, fluff the pillows, put the queen size doona on the bottom, fold the single doona in half towards the bottom of the bed (on top of the queen doona) and tuck the single sheet under the single doona, so it all looks neat and tidy. DS helps me straighten out the queen doona.

Er, hope that wasn't too confusing lol.

#14 BadCat

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

Edited by BadCat, 11 May 2020 - 09:07 PM.

#15 Freddie'sMum

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:35 AM

No.  I have never been one to make my bed every day.  The kids (ironically) both enjoy making their own beds - they didn't get that from me !

#16 sunsaboveitreya

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

Not every day, no.

When I wash the sheets, which is now sometimes once a week or fortnight, depending on weather, I will make the bed. But otherwise I don’t bother more than pulling the doona up.

It’s more so because my husband works nights, and is in bed during the day, so not much need to 'make' the bed.

In saying all that, I actually made it this morning, because it’s his day off, and the bed won’t be used all day.  

My kids; I don’t think they make their bed, but I’m not bothered by that. They do spend a lot of time in their beds so it’s pointless making them. My teenager’s bed is always made, they’re the only one of my four kids who is always on top of bedroom cleaning & bed making.

#17 OrangeSprout

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:07 AM

I love to see a made bed...
So I make mine every day unless DH is still in it asleep on a rare day off..
Sadly the kids don't make their beds as often as I'd like and they are all over 16 so I am saddened by that.

Sheets washed every Saturday and the bed is left to air most of the day until I put fresh sheets on and make it.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:08 PM

Yes I always have and my children had to when they were home too.
My MH can not cope with an unmade bed and a messy house.

#19 dadwasathome

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:20 PM

I make our bed every morning

#20 Scouter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:43 PM

Yes everyday I make, everything feels off out kilter if I don’t

#21 PuddingandPies

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:56 PM

No, but I would like it to be made daily.

If I'm the last out I will make it. We have a very small house so a made bed makes a big difference to lessen the cluttered feeling.

#22 Luci

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:58 PM

My whole house is a disaster including 5 unmade beds :ph34r:

#23 Datrys

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

I don't make our bed every day when it's just us around.  But i absolutely make it if people are coming over, and I think anyone might see it.  Somewhere in my childhood, my mother's message that an unmade bed = squalor lodged deep...

And for that reason, my answer to this

View Postcan, on 03 April 2020 - 10:02 PM, said:

I don’t care if an unmade bed is in the zoom background but is that a major faux pas?

is, I don't care what I see in someone else's zoom background, but I would never in a million years let my unmade bed be in view.

#24 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:24 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 04 April 2020 - 06:55 AM, said:

Yes, made tight as a deterrent to cats. I don’t like hairy pussy all over my sheets. I tell the kids to make their beds, although that generally means sheets pulled up and doona dumped on top.

Has this morphed into a thread about personal grooming that quickly?! :;):

#25 BeAwesome

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:36 PM

Under typical circumstances, beds are usually unmade.

At the moment there's not much else to do, so there's time to do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.