Renting and fridges question (a distraction from the virus)!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 anon1071

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:06 AM

This is totally not important considering what’s happening in the world right now.

I’m moving into a rental house whilst I wait for my home to be built.
The rental is great for us but the only thing is that the fridge cavity is too small to fit our fridge.
Has anyone got their fridge in a random spot just outside the kitchen? I will be buying a new fridge and I don’t want to buy a smaller one just so it fits in the cavity.
I haven’t had this issue before so just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

#2 Froggilicious

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:16 AM

Is the problem that it is too narrow? Or too short? If too short does the cupboard above the fridge shift?sometimes they can be raised slightly.

Ours was too narrow and we had to remove a panel to make it fit. We have our freezer in the laundry and that works for us.

Edited by Froggilicious, 04 April 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#3 SeaPrincess

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:17 AM

We lived in a house once that had the laundry off the kitchen and we had the fridge in the laundry. I have a friend who has the fridge on the other side of their kitchen bench because it doesn’t fit in the fridge recess. It isn’t a big deal, and it’s temporary.

#4 amdirel

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:18 AM

I would definitely do that, considering it's only temporary. I vaguely remember having this set up when I was a kid. I don't think there was any problem. You could put a set of cheap shelves in the fridge space, for extra pantry/random kitchen stuff space.

On a side note- have you been told of any pandemic related issues with your build? My mum is about to do a kdrb, and I'm curious to know if the build will be impacted.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:21 AM

amdirel, on 04 April 2020 - 10:18 AM, said:

On a side note- have you been told of any pandemic related issues with your build? My mum is about to do a kdrb, and I'm curious to know if the build will be impacted.

My parents are mid-build, also a kdrb. There’s been no impact so far. Dad drives by most days.

#6 sunsaboveitreya

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:29 AM

We have our fridge in the dining room. It won’t fit in the tiny spot in the kitchen, so we just have it outside the kitchen entryway, facing into the dining room.

I look forward to the day we live in a rental where the fridge will actually fit in the kitchen.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:31 AM

Fridge in laundry, fridge in garage, fridge in master bedroom. Just put it where it fits. And maybe buy a really cheap bar fridge for the kitchen just for milk. Other than milk, anything else we only need once or twice a day, so that’s what I would do.

#8 eachschoolholidays

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:31 AM

Yes, we were in a similar situation - a temporary rental wouldn’t fit our large fridge.  We put our fridge just outside the kitchen and luckily it was fairly open plan anyway.  It was just for 9 months.

#9 Freddie'sMum

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:32 AM

This happened to a friend of mine.  After the first baby she asked her DH to go and buy them a "bigger fridge".  He did.  He bought the biggest fridge / freezer he could find and it didn't fit into the space where their tiny fridge / freezer lived.

So the new giant fridge / freezer lived beside the kitchen - sort of stuck out in the hallway / dining area.

#10 RichardParker

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

I'm no help, OP, but I did want to ask about the logistics of moving--- are removalists still operating?

#11 Bugster

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:42 AM

In one house we had our large fridge in the dining room directly next to kitchen. Wasn’t a big deal for a short term rental.

#12 anon1071

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:51 AM

RichardParker, on 04 April 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

I'm no help, OP, but I did want to ask about the logistics of moving--- are removalists still operating?

So far they are. They told me they’re an essential service.

#13 BornToLove

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:11 PM

A short term rental, I would live with not having the fridge in the right place assuming the fridge can be placed very close to the kitchen.

If the only place for it isn’t easily accessible, I’d probably look at hiring a fridge that will fit in the right place.

#14 Murderino

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:08 PM

I am renting after selling and this is not an open plan house and I have the fridge just outside the kitchen in the meals area. Make is feel small but it’s temporary and we’ll survive.

#15 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:17 PM

I would put it wherever it fits for the time being, but then Ive lived in a half renovated house for 12 years so Im not fussy about such things and thanks to stupid virus it looks to be much longer.

One thing worth mentioning is that fridges need a certain amount of space at the sides and the back to work effectively.  From memory ours was something like 5cm at sides and 7cm at back.  Id assume you don't want it in direct sunlight either.

#16 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:25 PM

Yep. Just put it where it fits.

I would recommend though thinking about if you can put something under it to protect the floor. I've found that floors can get pretty grotty under fridges. In the fridge nook it doesn't matter as it'll be hidden by a fridge but if it's in another room it can be more obvious as at some point it'll not be hidden. Less of an issue if it's tiles, but wood or laminate can get damaged by undiscovered spills or red onion skin. Or scratched by moving the fridge to clean.

#17 limakilo

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:47 PM

Yep, in every rental since the first one where the fridge fit.
The fridge is awesome and I don't want to buy a new one, so it sits on the other side of the kitchen bench.
This house is really small, so it's awkward, but I have just kept the fridge clean, not covered in magnets, and it works.
Cheaper than a new fridge!

#18 Ozquoll

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:05 PM

I had that in one rental - it was a stupidly big kitchen, but with lots of wasted space in the middle of the room. And for some reason they had made the niche for the fridge very small, too small for my barely medium sized fridge 🤷. So the fridge lived in the far corner away from the sink and oven, and the little niche always looked a bit silly!

#19 SummerStar

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

I'd just put it where it fits especially since its temporary. We got a fridge double the size of our old one and double the size of the space. It's in the kitchen but I had to put it somewhere creative. We put the bin in the old spot. We have since got a smaller fridge to fit that spot so there's two fridges in the kitchen now but definitely just stick it where ever.

#20 amdirel

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

SeaPrincess, on 04 April 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

My parents are mid-build, also a kdrb. There’s been no impact so far. Dad drives by most days.

That's good to hear. Thank you!

#21 Quick hedgehog

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:34 PM

for a rental I would just put it wherever you need it.

We are looking to buy a house (well not so much right now...)
We have a side by side fridge and freezer pair. I have only seen one house so far that has a place where we could put both.

And not many have anywhere else (even an inconvenient place) where we could put the freezer.  My full size freezer is always full.  I am surprised at how many people manage without one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.