New family traditions thanks to Covid-19

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 decisionsdecisions

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:21 PM

With the 4 of us being at home together virtually all of the time we have fallen into some ‘traditions’ that we all seem to look forward during this new normal. Things like...
- Sunday afternoon drives. The stuff of my childhood when nothing was open & the family would hop in the car for a drive to ‘let’s see where we end up’.
- taking the dog for a walk as a family each morning after breakfast
- hot chips from the chicken shop for lunch on Fridays
- each person choosing ‘a treat to last the week’ just for themselves to add to the weekly shopping list
- playing a board game after lunch each day
- Saturday night family movie

These are just things we wouldn’t have done but for the fact we have the time & we are all together not running between work, school, sport & other activities.

Any new little traditions your family has developed?

#2 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:42 PM

Cosmic kids yoga.

#3 Paddlepop

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:53 PM

Using hand sanitiser when we get back in the car after going to the shops.

#4 gabbigirl

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:13 AM

Me nagging  the kids  not to spend every single minute on the computer when I’m at work 😫

#5 eachschoolholidays

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:42 AM

On weekends we are picking a country of the day.

We eat food from that country. This is a combo, of cooking, sometimes ordering takeaway / delivery, and baking projects. We’ve bought things like croissants from the bakery down the road (France), moussaka (Greece), and burgers and chips (USA). We’ve made apple fritters (Germany), loukoumades (Greece), and onion and goat’s cheese tarts (France).

I make up some themed activities eg they have 1hr to make something from LEGO based on that country like a landmark, an inside scavenger hunt (they got double points if there was an obvious link to the country), decorating an old box etc

We will probably try to do it every second day during the holidays.

#6 Mooples

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:05 AM

Neither dh or I are rushing to get up and get ready for work anymore (dh still working but doesn’t need to be there as early) so we are having family cuddles in our bed every morning. Our 2 ds’ 2 and 4 come in and we just snuggle, read a book if they have brought one on their way, play peek a boo and just lie in bed for half an hour together. We are all loving it especially now it’s cold and dark in the morning.

#7 amdirel

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:38 PM

Having to physically confiscate DS2's phone from him before bed every night, as he's now thoroughly addicted to having 1-3 screens in front of his face the entire day.

#8 RabbitHash

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:18 PM

Good ones: doing lots of exercise and bike rides as a family.

Bad ones: feeling guilty about working while my kids are bored.

#9 Dianalynch

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

Complaining. About all the things ds 6 would like to do, but can no longer do.

#10 Meepy

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:11 PM

Sitting around watching DS play animal crossing on the tv.

#11 trillian42

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

Falling asleep on the couch under a sleeping bag in front of a different episode of Tiger King each evening.

#12 PandoBox

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:40 PM

2 yr old DD has gotten. very use to going for walks with mum and dad together...so much that now when one of us tries to take her so the other has a break...she goes "Lets go together. all of us together. Mummy and daddy together- plus 2 or 3 other versions of the above just in case we didn't get it the first time.

#13 cstar

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

We all sit down to afternoon tea which is a fruit salad and maybe something sweet if I've made anything

We watch movies most nights

I've been doing exercise classes on line with my dd, my two ds' joined in today

#14 WaitForMe

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:45 PM

Drives are banned. Might depend on state, but if you are just going for a drive with no intention of getting out of the car, its still banned. People have been fined, including one mum and daughter going for a driving lesson.

Sorry about the daily fail link:
https://www.dailymai...s-lockdown.html

#15 Zeppelina

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:46 PM

View Posteachschoolholidays, on 06 April 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

On weekends we are picking a country of the day.

We eat food from that country. This is a combo, of cooking, sometimes ordering takeaway / delivery, and baking projects. We’ve bought things like croissants from the bakery down the road (France), moussaka (Greece), and burgers and chips (USA). We’ve made apple fritters (Germany), loukoumades (Greece), and onion and goat’s cheese tarts (France).

I make up some themed activities eg they have 1hr to make something from LEGO based on that country like a landmark, an inside scavenger hunt (they got double points if there was an obvious link to the country), decorating an old box etc
I love this idea, and may steal it for our family! Thank you for sharing :)

We have introduced board-game and take-away (or delivery) night. But that's about it! I have good intentions but very little follow-through.

#16 mintpatty

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:05 PM

Driving lessons are still okay in NSW. Was on NSW Police FB page today.

#17 Lifesgood

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:05 PM

KFC for lunch on Fridays!
Watching Derry Girls on Netflix on weekend evenings.
Family circuit classes in the backyard 2-3 times a week.
Dinner together at the table every night.

#18 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:57 PM

30-60 minutes of juggling, hacky-sack and slack-lining practice for the whole family each day (usually before dinner, it's a good way to unwind after work). My slack-lining skills are not much better, but I suspect that's because I am not balancing well with the glass of wine in one hand ....

#19 Zeppelina

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:41 AM

DH and I have started watching cartoons from our childhood with the kids a couple of mornings a week (Thank you YouTube!) which has been fun. So many good ones. Although I'm coming to realize that some of them don't seem to be as good as I remember... :laugh:

#20 wallofdodo

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:09 PM

Hot Sunday Lunch, and more open fires!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.