8500 crew stranded on Cruise ships off the coast of NSW

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 NWO

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:40 PM

Ruby Princess has 1,100 foreign crew on board, many are unwell.
Six were brought to a Sydney hospital in the middle of the night.
They are asking for help, Australia is telling them to go home.

There are 7 other cruise ships in NSW waters in a similar situation.
Total crew numbers across all ships is believed to be 8500.**

** this may have changed with some leaving yesterday?

Australia wants them to go away, return to America, which they can technically do but will be in open water with no help available if required ... so they are refusing to leave.

Even if it is just the Ruby Princess left, that still means 1000 odd crew onboard and the midnight evacuations may need to continue.

As a maritime nation we are obligated to look after other foreign nationals in our care (on our waters) .... as we would want other countries to do if it was 1000 Aussies of the coast of whatever country.

Obviously this is a tough call - might not be possible to disembark them all in Sydney, not sure what the solution is either ... but sending a medical boat out through the heads to the horizon to collect really sick people is very dangerous in itself!

Are we ok with just ignoring them while negotiating their departure?

Are more people now ok with the '**** off we're full' viewpoint in this new age?

#2 Sandra

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:49 PM

ABC News reports the Ruby Princess is the only cruise ship in  NSW waters and that is docked at Port Kembla. Which other cruise ships are waiting in  NSW waters?

#3 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:51 PM

I personally think we should be helping them, but the Govt's from their home country, as well as the cruise ship company, should be paying towards costs.

These ships are registered in countries where they pay minimum tax, they need to be responsible for the situation they have put their passengers and staff in.

But we should not be turning them away.  We are not 'full', and I really hate that NIMBY attitude too, especially when people are sick.

If it was a planeload of Qantas crew and Aussie tourists on a tarmac in Europe, I'd be wanting our citizens to get the medical attention they needed, but also expect that our Govt contribute to the costs.

#4 lizzzard

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:53 PM

Personally I find this incredibly disappointing. The ships should be docked and passengers (and crew) quarantined for 14 days under government watch as with any other international arrivals. My understanding from the Ruby Princess debacle was that leaving passengers on board is considered very unsafe for them. Why on earth are we disregarding the welfare of these people just because they aren’t Australian citizens???

Edited by lizzzard, 06 April 2020 - 01:07 PM.

#5 AnythingGoes

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:04 PM

The whole situation with crews on cruise ships has been appalling.

The operation over the last few days to resupply the ships and move the crew around the ships so they could be taken to the port closest to their home country looked like a massive exercise and I think we have done the right thing there. The cruise companies on the otherhand..

My understanding is that the Ruby Princess crew were too ill to be included in that exercise- and I hope we do the right thing by them as well. Which is take them off, quarantine them and treat them.

What I don't understand is why we have an investigation about the Ruby Princess cruise disembarking only- and not about the cruise leaving in the first place on March 8 (the day after the Hillsong conference).

They knew they had sick passengers on the cruise that disembarked on 8 March, yet they still loaded up a new lot. And after a 5 hour or so delay at the port they were cleared to sail. The whole thing was dodgy from start to finish.

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:04 PM

We are helping them. We have offloaded those sick enough for hospital, the others can stay on board and self isolate just like the rest of us. Why bring them on shore to self isolate and risk that they won't.
The only ones who've gone home are not floating Covid-19 cesspits.

I think Princess lines and NSW health department are equally culpable here.

Edited by Soontobegran, 06 April 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#7 Fabulous

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:12 PM

In Perth there is a German cruise ship , the Artania docked at Fremantle port and the ship has been cleaned and quaratined for 14 days. The sick crew have been removed and sent to hospital and the healthy crew have been isolated in their cabins for the 14 days. Sounds like they are going to do something similar with the Ruby Princess.

#8 Amica

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:28 PM

From my understanding, we have been telling them to go home for weeks but they won't budge. Some of the ships just outside our waters made their way here from other countries because they figured here was their best chance of getting help. The one off WA turned around and made it's way to Australia after being turned away from several countries as far away as the United Arab Emirates. Now 80 from that ship are in WA hospitals at the federal governments expense.

I would not like to be the one making calls here. There are many other ships floating around the globe at the moment rejected from every port. Do we take them all?

#9 (feral)epg

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:37 PM

The right thing to do would be to get everyone off those ships and into proper quarantine (like we're doing with anyone entering Australia) and then get them back to their home countries.  It should be done at the expense of the cruise ship companies.
I don't know what you do with the cruise ships themselves - they probably need some crew on board to keep vital systems operating.  I assume that, like aeroplanes after 9-11, there is not actually capacity to dock all these floating cities.  Again - a problem for the cruise ship companies.

The only upside I can see to this is at least we're showing that we can be equally callous to employed white people (cruse ship employees) as we were to brown refugees.  Not that that's something to be at all proud of.

#10 Amica

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:40 PM

PP, that German cruise ship had never been in Australian waters before. We were not on their route. They came here though because they were turned away from everywhere else. I think it has really set a precedent for other cruise ships. There are apparently 18 cruise ships now hanging around off the east coast of Australia and most of those have never been here before. They have made their way from South America and other countries and continents.

The cruise industry has a lot to answer for once this is all over.

#11 Soontobegran

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:42 PM

View Post(feral)epg, on 06 April 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

The only upside I can see to this is at least we're showing that we can be equally callous to employed white people (cruse ship employees) as we were to brown refugees.  Not that that's something to be at all proud of.

Cruises I have been on have been at least 80% brown people as you put it.
Very few white people other than the entertainment staff.

#12 IamzFeralz

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:58 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 06 April 2020 - 01:42 PM, said:

Cruises I have been on have been at least 80% brown people as you put it.
Very few white people other than the entertainment staff.

Yes I have heard they are mostly Filipino.

#13 Dadto2

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:06 PM

View PostNWO, on 06 April 2020 - 12:40 PM, said:

Are more people now ok with the '**** off we're full' viewpoint in this new age?

If we take them, we may not be in a position (like Italy) to provide adequate health care to our own citizens. There are currently 77 cruise ships out at sea with over 150'000 passengers, even if 2 or 3 docked in Australia we would be in trouble and one of the main reasons why we are in semi lockdown is to slow down the spread of the virus to allow our health services to cope. It would be non-nonsensical to then open up our doors to sick foreigners who would create the very problem we have been trying to avoid and which has already costs us billions of dollars.

#14 MarciaB

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:09 PM

The other 7 (5?) all came into Sydney harbour over the weekend, restocked, re-fuelled and some crew swapped around so that all crew would be returning to the closest port to home.  I understood they were all on their way to their home ports as of Sunday evening.

https://www.sbs.com....-sydney-harbour

I do think we should provide whatever medical support is needed to any remaining ship/s - and provide opportunities for any crew to isolate and then return home.

Edited by MarciaB, 06 April 2020 - 02:10 PM.

#15 dadwasathome

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:23 PM

Ruby Princess is the only ship still in NSW. Two of the Royal Caribbean ships are heading west through Bass Strait, and another is off northern Qld.

The Queen Elizabeth is in Brisbane, and there's a small cluster of ships off the Sunshine coast.

Hospitalising those that need it and provisioning for home ports seems fair.

I feel for the crew (truthfully).

Isn't it sad that many of the cruise companies aren't eligible for various stimulus packages as their tax haven homes aren't offering any.....

#16 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:28 PM

I shake my head at the Australian lady who was Enertainment director on one of the ships who didn't push to get off the boat and decided to stay with the rest of the crew.
Look, the government would of let her off if she wanted to being a citizen, but instead she adds one more mouth to feed and then probably end up who knows were are then want a flight home.
She said the ships family was important, but it's not like there's only 2 people left on the boat she needs to support ( and she's not an actual sailor/ engineer/ chef/ medic etc), so I don't know why she stayed onboard.

#17 NWO

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:39 PM

View PostDadto2, on 06 April 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

If we take them, we may not be in a position (like Italy) to provide adequate health care to our own citizens. There are currently 77 cruise ships out at sea with over 150'000 passengers, even if 2 or 3 docked in Australia we would be in trouble and one of the main reasons why we are in semi lockdown is to slow down the spread of the virus to allow our health services to cope. It would be non-nonsensical to then open up our doors to sick foreigners who would create the very problem we have been trying to avoid and which has already costs us billions of dollars.

I'm not disagreeing with the logic, it's a tough call.

Does it mean that we can now choose when we open our doors to sick foreigners and when we don't?

#18 NWO

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

View PostMarciaB, on 06 April 2020 - 02:09 PM, said:

The other 7 (5?) all came into Sydney harbour over the weekend, restocked, re-fuelled and some crew swapped around so that all crew would be returning to the closest port to home.  I understood they were all on their way to their home ports as of Sunday evening.

https://www.sbs.com....-sydney-harbour

I do think we should provide whatever medical support is needed to any remaining ship/s - and provide opportunities for any crew to isolate and then return home.

It is strange - on Thursday afternoon this was said -

https://www.theguard...treat-sick-crew

The Australian government ordered the vessels to leave Australia waters during the Covid-19 pandemic but they have so far refused to do so and some sick crew members have had to be medically evacuated to Australian hospitals.
Fuller has the final say on who can disembark cruise ships.
On Thursday morning Fuller said he feared that “bringing 9,000 people off the cruise ships” could “overload” the state’s health system. “We know around the world that when the hospital systems become overwhelmed, then lots and lots of people die.

Read more
NSW police also forced another cruise ship, the Pacific Explorer, to leave Sydney harbour and anchor off the coast.
Sture Myrmell, the president of Carnival Australia, which operates the Pacific Explorer, said in a statement posted to YouTube that the decision was “particularly sad and disappointing”.

Then some come in to restock over the weekend and are now going back to their home port or country of owner or whatever?

And yes, the Ruby Princess has moved to Pt Headland as a PP said .. how can that be a good thing? Do they have a big hospital there?

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:59 PM

It cost $6 million to rescue Tony Bullimore from the Great Southern Ocean over 20 years ago.

Our approach then, was that we had an international obligation to do what only we could do.

#20 NWO

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 06 April 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

I shake my head at the Australian lady who was Enertainment director on one of the ships who didn't push to get off the boat and decided to stay with the rest of the crew.
Look, the government would of let her off if she wanted to being a citizen, but instead she adds one more mouth to feed and then probably end up who knows were are then want a flight home.
She said the ships family was important, but it's not like there's only 2 people left on the boat she needs to support ( and she's not an actual sailor/ engineer/ chef/ medic etc), so I don't know why she stayed onboard.

I saw somewhere (not yet verified / cross checked) that the entertainers are doing performances / skits / etc and streaming this to the cabins to give some entertainment to the 800 crew quarantined in cabins.

I'm sure this lady you mentioned would be helping make this happen, she chose to stay on an infected ship to support others .... if that is all there is to the story then I think she has done a good thing ... not deserving a shake of the head surely?

#21 dadwasathome

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

View PostNWO, on 06 April 2020 - 03:48 PM, said:

And yes, the Ruby Princess has moved to Pt Headland as a PP said .. how can that be a good thing? Do they have a big hospital there?

Port Kembla isn't quite as far as Port Headland :)

No idea why Port Kembla was chosen for provisioning vessels (there's been a few over the weekend. Perhaps easier than the Sydney locations for security, being right in the industrial port area.

The reports today have been that two more crew were taekn off Ruby Princess yesterday, and that others can betreated on board. Wollongong has about 50 identified COVID019 cases so far.

#22 Gumbette

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:15 PM

View PostAmica, on 06 April 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

PP, that German cruise ship had never been in Australian waters before. We were not on their route. They came here though because they were turned away from everywhere else. I think it has really set a precedent for other cruise ships. There are apparently 18 cruise ships now hanging around off the east coast of Australia and most of those have never been here before. They have made their way from South America and other countries and continents.

The cruise industry has a lot to answer for once this is all over.

Not to mention they were determined to set sail simply because they didn't want to lose money.  To hell with the health of their crew and passengers.

I don't have answer.  Maybe rescue the crew and stick the management on there and let then float around on the ocean in their petrie dishes.

Edited by Gumbette, 06 April 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#23 Soontobegran

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:22 PM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 06 April 2020 - 01:58 PM, said:

Yes I have heard they are mostly Filipino.

Yes, Princess Cruises have a majority of Filipino, Indonesians and Thai working in the kitchen, cleaning and as the stewards. They work for an absolute pittance. :( The one good thing is that without tourists they are getting to use the actual cabins to isolate in instead of the tiny, windowless hotboxes they usually live in.

The white people are the medical, the entertainment crew and the actual people up in the bow....they are in a minority.

#24 BlackBetty

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:39 PM

They were

View Postborn.a.girl, on 06 April 2020 - 03:59 PM, said:

It cost $6 million to rescue Tony Bullimore from the Great Southern Ocean over 20 years ago.

Our approach then, was that we had an international obligation to do what only we could do.

They were not stranded at sea, they were not in distress.

They chose to 'port' in countries where they pay little tax too and who are not capable of providing the level of health care they need.

So they chose to come to Australia, even though, from what I have seen they were told not to do.

https://thehustle.co...f-cruise-ships/

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:43 PM

View PostBlackBetty, on 06 April 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

They were

They were not stranded at sea, they were not in distress.

They chose to 'port' in countries where they pay little tax too and who are not capable of providing the level of health care they need.

So they chose to come to Australia, even though, from what I have seen they were told not to do.

https://thehustle.co...f-cruise-ships/

Sure, the cruise line.

The employees, the vast majority of whom work in these jobs for very low pay, were not part of the decision making.

I couldn't care less about the cruise line, but I care about the people without a say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.