Is there a 7yo growth spurt?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:24 AM

DD is constantly hungry!!  After eating a bowl of breakfast she will ask for more food 5 minutes later.  And constantly throughout the day asking for food.  
She is very tall for her age but average weight so perhaps shes just 'catching up' to her height so to speak.

Im just struggling with it because normally I let the kids help themselves to healthy snacks as much as they want but currently I have to ration them because we are socially isolating due to having a baby.

^ Oh no signs of worms either.  I might worm the kids just in case next time I go to chemist shop.

#2 Ozquoll

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:14 AM

My newly 7yo DS is the same - after hardly eating anything his whole life, he has recently become a ravenous eater. Like your daughter, tall but average weight, so maybe he's playing catch up too 🤔

#3 BusbyWilkes

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:29 AM

Might be a growth spurt. It’s not unusual around that age. Can you get more healthy snacks delivered by a shop or dropped to the house by family/friend who is still shopping. (Only if it’s affordable for you).

If there are less visible snacks, and you are starting to “ration” a little when she has always had free reign on them, she may be (unconsciously perhaps) worried about there being enough food.

The other main cause of extra eating, especially given the change in routine, is boredom/lack of structure. Not specifically in your case, but generally. Could making a daily schedule (either with pics or words) to help to give routine to her day. Include morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea etc, so she visually sees that they are planned. In between, put activities - reading, outside play, tv/movie, craft, writing, puzzle, school work (if she likes this - if not, break it down into smaller tasks - Mathletics, worksheet 1, read to mum). Don’t use times of day, just the activity.

#4 CrankyM

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:33 AM

We did a lunch box the same as school while home. I found it meant less likely to eat from boredom etc. I’m not sure about when growth spurts hit, it can be very individual. Both my boys have hit one around late 9ish.

#5 Bearynice

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

I found my boys around 7 and at 10 ate more food.

Could visual schedule or a lunchbox of foods ( just like school) help in these times?

Do you have someone you could reach out to that might be able to grab some more snacks at supermarket?

#6 Silverstreak

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:26 AM

Yep, at seven and a half DS was ravenous for days on end and he's now at least an inch taller. His eating settled down after a while. I was giving him higher protein snacks like chicken, fruit and yoghurt, nuts etc. (DS is a fussy eater, so it can be hard to get the balance right sometimes.)

#7 lozoodle

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:31 AM

Yep, but also if they're at home... they're probably just boredom eating too. My kids are shocking for asking for food all. day. long. when we are at home.

I've set the rule that you at at recess and lunch, same as school haha.

#8 Silverstreak

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:32 AM

And just thought I'd post my infamous tuna casserole recipe that DS with ASD and food aversions eats a LOT of. It's cheap and easy to make, easy to freeze and just defrost when you need a portion.

Peel and dice four large white potatoes and a good wedge of Kent pumpkin. Steam in the microwave or steamer until the potatoes are soft, then add one large tin of Sirena tuna in oil, including the oil. Mix until it's mostly smooth (I use a fork and a potato masher.) If you have butter, you can add some to taste.

When serving, you can mix with a bit of milk (DS likes "wet" food") and grate cheese on top. For more adventurous eaters,  add broccoli or peas, or serve separately on the side. This makes lots of portions and DS has been mainly living on this for years, it's his favourite meal.

#9 Ozquoll

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:06 PM

^^^
Sigh....my DS with selective eating won't touch any of the ingredients in that recipe 😕

#10 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:16 PM

I think there is. After spending much of last year eating like a bird, 7yr old Ds1 is starving all. the. time. And like pp’s, there’s also the boredom factor.

I’ve started portioning up snacks in containers for the fridge and pantry (grapes, yoghurt, nuts, crackers, banana chips etc. ) and he’s allowed one of each per day. I was sick of the constant ‘Mum I’m hungry’ and the fridge raids. We have heaps of little containers so I only have to do it every couple of days.

#11 CrankyM

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:59 PM

That's a great idea fluffy potatoes, I wish I could do that with milk. I bought 6L last friday afternoon. It was gone by Monday morning.

I will also say, that when mine say they are hungry right after eating, I tell them to wait 10 mins and if they are still hungry they can have something else. Or drink some water. Sometimes it takes time for the full sensation to kick in, or they are mistaking being thirsty for hunger.

#12 Silverstreak

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 07 April 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

^^^
Sigh....my DS with selective eating won't touch any of the ingredients in that recipe

Argh, my sympathies!

#13 sunsaboveitreya

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:40 PM

My 7yo is the same. Always asking for food. Always. Not hungry though, it is due to boredom 80% of the time. They’re currently making whiny sounds while banging their fists on the couch that they need food. Anything I suggest they can eat, is of course not good enough. Just trying to distract them for long enough and I’ll make them a filling smoothie soon - I gotta time it right though, so I’m not pestered 5mins after finishing their smoothie.

#14 BornToLove

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:57 PM

My DD is terrible for mindless snacking. You can’t stop her, she just keeps eating.

However, when it’s a growth spurt, she naturally selects healthier and more balanced options even when empty carbs are easily accessible. She is also eating meals with fewer complaints and back in the kitchen soon after a filling meal.

I saw on Facebook a parent who uses a ‘snack bin’. It’s filled each morning and it has to last the day (excluding actual meals). It lets the kids eat and snack, but improves the quality and limits the quantity. It might be a good option to try and curb the snacking.

#15 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:37 PM

View PostBearynice, on 07 April 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

Do you have someone you could reach out to that might be able to grab some more snacks at supermarket?

Thanks :)   Its not that we don't have enough food as such,  more that Im trying to limit our shopping to once a week to cut down on contact.  Very different to our usual life because we live very  close to a fruit and veg shop and pop in all the time to pick up bits and pieces!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.