Vic: ‘if you can learn from home, you must learn from home’

• Please log in to reply
1200 replies to this topic

#1 Bilboblabla

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:48 AM

I’m interested to see what this means.

Can two WFH parents send children to school?

#2 JRA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:59 AM

He said, if you need to because you cant care for them, send them. If they are y9 and you are working from home, they probably can stay home, if they are y2, different story

I thought it was pretty clear

#3 WaitForMe

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:03 AM

Is there a clip of what he said? I can't find one.

#4 JRA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:04 AM

He is still talking

https://www.facebook...53397062223353/

#5 JRA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:06 AM

https://www.abc.net....ctoria/12127176

#6 caitiri

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:07 AM

He spoke well but I think he needed to say explicitly and repeat that no child at school is going receive more support or a better quality of education then those at home.

Until people understand that, there will be unnecessary children at school because they won’t want their kids to miss out

ETA I only saw the abc coverage so hopefully he went in to say that

Edited by caitiri, 07 April 2020 - 09:07 AM.

#7 JRA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:08 AM

He spoke well but I think he needed to say explicitly and repeat that no child at school is going receive more support or a better quality of education then those at home.

He said that, the words

if you can’t stay at home, school will run the same courses as at home

Edited by JRA, 07 April 2020 - 09:11 AM.

#8 caitiri

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:12 AM

I heard that bit I just don’t think it was clear or explicit enough

I think it needs to be couched in terms no advantage by going to school

Edited by caitiri, 07 April 2020 - 09:13 AM.

#9 JRA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:13 AM

He also made it clear that kids will be cared for at school by skeleton staff, most staff will be working from home.

I think it needs to be couched in terms no advantage by going to school

Agree

#10 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:18 AM

It's basically what kids here in QLD have already been doing - our school hols only started yesterday, so last week was the same - only send your kids if no other option, they were "pupil free days" for the teachers to do planning, and they will only be being "babysat" by skeleton staff, and given the same learning materials as kids who were staying home.

#11 caitiri

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:18 AM

I think he said small though not skeleton.

Small can equal quality and personal attention where as skeleton means something else.

I understand what he is saying I am keeping my kids at home but I’m still hearing that argument from other people and I don’t think the way he spoke in what I heard will change their mind they still think their kids will be at an advantage at school.

Strangely because of the resources and parenting style my opinion is that those kids would actually not be harmed in the slightest by staying home

#12 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

View PostCaitlin Happymeal, on 07 April 2020 - 09:18 AM, said:

It's basically what kids here in QLD have already been doing - our school hols only started yesterday, so last week was the same - only send your kids if no other option, they were "pupil free days" for the teachers to do planning, and they will only be being "babysat" by skeleton staff, and given the same learning materials as kids who were staying home.

Do you think that will continue next term? After this mornings presser when she was asked and she replied that Victoria is in a different position to us but we would have an answer by next Tuesday.

#13 WaitForMe

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:27 AM

View Postcaitiri, on 07 April 2020 - 09:18 AM, said:

I think he said small though not skeleton.

Small can equal quality and personal attention where as skeleton means something else.

I understand what he is saying I am keeping my kids at home but I’m still hearing that argument from other people and I don’t think the way he spoke in what I heard will change their mind they still think their kids will be at an advantage at school.

Strangely because of the resources and parenting style my opinion is that those kids would actually not be harmed in the slightest by staying home

The schools can push that. They will need to determine the specifics of how its going to work for their community.

#14 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:30 AM

Apparently, sessional kinder will start again next week in Vic. I find this situation stressful and inconsistent, because primary and secondary kids are being asked to stay home. So there are ethical issues about whether or not it is right to send your child to kinder.

I've decided that for my son, it is not right. He's coping well at home (touch wood!!!). So he won't be going, and this will hopefully make it safer for the kids and teachers who do need to be there.

#15 Bearynice

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

I’m hoping a statement from dept of education comes soon. I’m feeling pretty anxious as I am not sure what is happening with my work, then add in kids schooling.

I know I’m not alone.

#16 nom_de_plume

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:32 AM

Our school is only offering supervision during school hours. So it's not going to help me as a 9-5 worker, or DP as a paramedic anyhow.

I guess I will have to work part time and send the kids during school hours. Work isn't going to be happy.

#17 Mmmcheese

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:33 AM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 07 April 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

Apparently, sessional kinder will start again next week in Vic. I find this situation stressful and inconsistent, because primary and secondary kids are being asked to stay home. So there are ethical issues about whether or not it is right to send your child to kinder.

I've decided that for my son, it is not right. He's coping well at home (touch wood!!!). So he won't be going, and this will hopefully make it safer for the kids and teachers who do need to be there.

Aeu is campaigning pretty hard on this issue now... We'll see what eventuates.

#18 Bearynice

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:33 AM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 07 April 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

Can I ask dirtystreet pie how did you hear about sessional kinder?

#19 JRA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:34 AM

I’m hoping a statement from dept of education comes soon. I’m feeling pretty anxious as I am not sure what is happening with my work, then add in kids schooling.

It was minister of education who made the statements together with the premier.

#20 robhat

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:38 AM

How about we make this really simple.

If there is an adult in the house who is physically capable of supervising and caring for a child, the child should stay home.

The only reason to send a child to school should be that the parents are not home due to work, or not capable of caring for their child due to some kind of disability or severe illness.

Is this fun, ideal, easy to manage? Hell no. But this is a pandemic, so we'll all just have to muddle through with it.

#21 Bilboblabla

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:41 AM

View Postrobhat, on 07 April 2020 - 09:38 AM, said:

How about we make this really simple.

If there is an adult in the house who is physically capable of supervising and caring for a child, the child should stay home.

The only reason to send a child to school should be that the parents are not home due to work, or not capable of caring for their child due to some kind of disability or severe illness.

Is this fun, ideal, easy to manage? Hell no. But this is a pandemic, so we'll all just have to muddle through with it.

So two WFH parents who can’t supervise adequately, let alone facilitate ‘learning’ can send a child to school?

#22 JRA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:41 AM

exactly, it is not rocket science. They made it bloody simple

I will add the caveat:  "If the child needs supervision"
. There are lots of school kids who don't.

#23 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:44 AM

View PostBilboblabla, on 07 April 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

So two WFH parents who can’t supervise adequately, let alone facilitate ‘learning’ can send a child to school?

How old are your kids?

I think would probably help people answer the question.

#24 WaitForMe

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:44 AM

View Postnom_de_plume, on 07 April 2020 - 09:32 AM, said:

Our school is only offering supervision during school hours. So it's not going to help me as a 9-5 worker, or DP as a paramedic anyhow.

I guess I will have to work part time and send the kids during school hours. Work isn't going to be happy.

Do they normally run an OOSHC? Ours has opened back up again. The childcare changes means they can afford to have a worker there without any/few kids.

#25 JoanFontaine

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:45 AM

View PostBilboblabla, on 07 April 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

no, because they’re both at home. What don’t you understand about this? Considering most parents are wfh at the moment, you are not in a minority. I can tell you that our high school will have 3 staff to supervise, which means we can accommodate 30 kids out of over 1000. And they are the principal team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.