“Going for a drive” in NSW not ok

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
272 replies to this topic

#1 JomoMum

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:17 PM

The Police Commisioner has said in an ABC interview today that just “going for a drive” is not a reasonable excuse, even if people don’t get out of the car.

Thoughts?

I put my 3 month old and 6yo DS in the car once a day. Baby has a nap that I don’t need to be holding him for, and DS listens to a science podcast though his headphones. We live semi regionally and drive through pretty quiet areas, but stick to main roads so as not to invade quiet suburban streets.

I understand if everyone did this, the roads would be a nightmare, but the roads are like a ghost town!

They can fine me the $1000. This is ridiculous.

#2 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:24 PM

yeh i think it’s ridiculous. with the exception of my daily walk which i guess takes me around several suburbs, i haven’t left my suburb in three weeks. haven’t been on a bus, in a cab...i really fail to see what the risk is with people being in their car - not getting out.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:25 PM

I honestly can't get my head around it. we love going for drives sometimes just for something to do, a change of scenery.

I just can't see why its an issue? I get if you are going for a drive to a location where you get out, go into their shops, mingle with the locals, of course that's a risk.

But if you're in your car, and you literally drive around for a while, look at some scenery, feel like you've done something, then return home? What's the issue. I sort of see my car as an extension of my house in that we are not mixing with anyone. Heck we mix with more people walking around our neighbourhood every afternoon because everyone is out doing the same thing!

#4 Chamomile

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:26 PM

I’m the same. Driving gives the baby a nap where I’m not holding him. I consider it caring and therefore ok.
If I get pulled over, he will wake and scream, which kind of proves the point of why I’m out driving in the first place.
I’m not passing the virus onto anyone. (Pre-virus, I treated myself to McDonald’s drive-thru, but not anymore).

#5 Caribou

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:27 PM

I find that silly. I’d put it under mental health to get out and drive. Even if you don’t step out of the car.

#6 kshy

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:28 PM

The theory is they don’t want anyone extra on the roads so there is less accidents and less emergency services that need to be available to such accidents

#7 Pip_longstockings

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:28 PM

My car told me my battery was getting flat and needed to turn the engine on - that is how little I have been out. I went for a drive around the neighbourhood for a half hour. I wasn't going to leave it running in my drive, my neighbour is an emergency nurse and I didn't want to wake her.

WE have also needed it to break the ice with our family. Conquer and divide.

#8 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:29 PM

Agree that it’s ridiculous. I’m in WA, which seems a bit more relaxed about things so far. Which is lucky as the only way I can get my 2yo to nap is to take him for a 10 minute drive, then I park in the driveway and he has an hour. The alternative is an hour of trying, then I have to hold him while he naps for 20 minutes, then wakes up grumpy.

Since you are not putting yourself or others at increased risk of contracting the virus with that behaviour, maybe weigh up the possibility of getting a large fine vs what you get from the car naps. Maybe stick close to home, don’t go too far.

#9 #notallcats

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:30 PM

It's like you said OP... if everyone does it, it's a problem.

Lots of us are explaining away not following the recommendations by thinking we are the only one, or  not in the risk group or it's just this or that, it doesn't count... but we are part of the problem.

#10 lozoodle

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:31 PM

View Postkshy, on 07 April 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

The theory is they don’t want anyone extra on the roads so there is less accidents and less emergency services that need to be available to such accidents

In theory I get that, but there is so much less traffic as it is due to no one being able to work (or many less than usual being able to).

Its all well and good to take precautions but I think sometimes when you take away the most simple pleasures, that on a whole are quite safe in terms of virus spread, that's when people stat getting the sh*ts and maybe not respecting things as much. so instead they'll go to the shops because they can pull the "its essential" card even if they just want to kill time and get out. Because as long as shopping malls remain open for things other than food, people will still go....

#11 lizzzard

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:39 PM

The roads have been quiet for weeks. I don't think it needed to be said personally - for those people struggling, having another option to get out of the house taken away when it's not a social distancing necessity, is just one more nail....

#12 AdelTwins

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:39 PM

I was wondering about the car battery too. What happens when you haven’t used a car for a few weeks/months? They need a decent run every now and again to keep the battery charged, etc.

#13 Kreme

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:41 PM

I’m only guessing, but judging by the numbers of people who suddenly need to walk every day, and need to do it somewhere very attractive like a beach, I would suggest that if you said it was ok to go for a drive then there would be a whole heap of people doing it, not just one or two.

The roads are quiet right now because you need a reason to drive somewhere. If you loosen that you’ll have people stopping for petrol and food and toilets and it starts to be more than just a drive.

I admit I do not understand the joy of going for a drive because to me driving is a means to an end.

#14 Freddie'sMum

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:42 PM

It's really really hard OP.  I have been out twice in the past week.  Once to the local IGA to get groceries and today to the doctor.  I don't think I will go "out" again for another week or two (if DH goes and gets groceries instead of me).

I guess the reasoning behind it is that the less people out and about - the more chance of containing the virus.  You may say that you are only driving around to get the baby to sleep (I SOOOOO understand that) but what if your car breaks down or you are involved in a car accident?  

The PM has said that he doesn't want anyone going away for Easter.  It sucks but I think we have to do it to try and get back to some sort of "normal life" as soon as humanely possible.  The more of us out and about - the longer we have to live under the current restrictions.

#15 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:43 PM

We love driving, we often jump in the car and just drive for a couple of hours and see where we end up.

Of everything they are taking that’s the hardest for me :(

Qld is starting to fine people for driving places they don’t need to be.

#16 Prancer is coming

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:49 PM

I like the recommendation.  We are told to stay home unless it is essential to go out.  A drive is not essential.  It is using petrol, so the more people getting petrol, the more of the risk of spread at a petrol station.  People may stop for a drink, the toilet, to chase something the kids chucked out the window, increasing chance of a spread.  If you do end up having corona, it widens the area they need to trace your movements.  And if you have an accident, you are using police and medical resources thst are needed elsewhere.

Lockdown sucks.  It is not enjoyable.  I will struggle more if my daily walk goes.  But it is what we have been asked to do.  I get frustrated at the amount of people changing recommendations to suit themselves.  I am generally not a conformist and did not vote the government in.  But they are in a better place than I am to know what they are doing so I am just doing what I am asked.

#17 annodam

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:50 PM

View PostAdelTwins, on 07 April 2020 - 09:39 PM, said:

I was wondering about the car battery too. What happens when you haven’t used a car for a few weeks/months? They need a decent run every now and again to keep the battery charged, etc.

We have trickle chargers.

But I agree with the Government, no one should be driving unless for work or getting essentials.
My OH received an authorisation document from his Employer today to prove/show Police (if he gets pulled over) that he is an essential worker & is off to work.
It lists his hours.
If everyone did the right thing, these harsh measures would not be required.

Sorry, not sorry!

#18 got my tinsel on

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:51 PM

I don't think it's ridiculous.

Each and every time we leave the house whether on foot or in the car or public transport we increase the risk of possibly interacting with others.

Shopping is essential - and yes there is a risk in the interactions with other shoppers and staff but food is essential.

Exercise is important - and there is a possibility of interactions but it is important.

Getting in the car and going for a drive is not essential.  All is well except that even before covid-19 there were risks of accident and now that risk has greater consequences.  Also, it means that fuel needs to be purchased more frequently for those essential trips.  Purchasing petrol brings the risk of touching the bowser and interacting with staff and other shoppers.  Flat tyre/break down might also bring the risk of interacting with others.

It is not essential to go for a drive because that's what you want to  / always have done / are bored / don't see the problem.

The risk may be small but why would you want to increase your risk at a time like this!

#19 JomoMum

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:52 PM

Certainly a valid point about cars breaking down, needing emergency services in the event of an accident.

I get it. I really do. And I know it’s a crappy situation for everyone.

But where does it end. And WHEN does it end? Our freedoms have been completely taken away (and I understand for good reason), but driving around my neighbouring suburbs for 25 mins a day?

This is when people will just say bugger it!

#20 lizzzard

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:52 PM

View PostKreme, on 07 April 2020 - 09:41 PM, said:

I’m only guessing, but judging by the numbers of people who suddenly need to walk every day, and need to do it somewhere very attractive like a beach, I would suggest that if you said it was ok to go for a drive then there would be a whole heap of people doing it, not just one or two.
Ummmm.... yes, humans need exercise. That's why the rules explicitly permit and even encourage it.

#21 Chelara

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:54 PM

Because it’s easy to just see something and stop, grab a coffee, check out a sight, use a toilet and spread the virus. The temptation will be there to go on outings, what’s the difference between your local cafe and one a few suburbs over, or closer to the beach or that little town up the mountains? They don’t want you to spread anything. Stay put, things won’t spread.

#22 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:55 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 07 April 2020 - 09:52 PM, said:

Certainly a valid point about cars breaking down, needing emergency services in the event of an accident.

But where does it end. And WHEN does it end? Our freedoms have been completely taken away (and I understand for good reason), but driving around my neighbouring suburbs for 25 mins a day?

they’re certainly abusing our goodwill with these draconian laws but, what can we do? it’s not like we can come together en masse and protest - that’s verboten too.

#23 got my tinsel on

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:56 PM

Well doesn't the data show that most accidents occur within 5 or 10 minutes of home?

And really - all your frigging freedoms will be taken away when you're on a ventilator or dead.

It will be the idiots who are happy to risk their lives and those of others who say bugger it.

#24 Mrs Zee

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:58 PM

View Postgot my tinsel on, on 07 April 2020 - 09:51 PM, said:

I don't think it's ridiculous.

Each and every time we leave the house whether on foot or in the car or public transport we increase the risk of possibly interacting with others.

Shopping is essential - and yes there is a risk in the interactions with other shoppers and staff but food is essential.

Exercise is important - and there is a possibility of interactions but it is important.

Getting in the car and going for a drive is not essential.  All is well except that even before covid-19 there were risks of accident and now that risk has greater consequences.  Also, it means that fuel needs to be purchased more frequently for those essential trips.  Purchasing petrol brings the risk of touching the bowser and interacting with staff and other shoppers.  Flat tyre/break down might also bring the risk of interacting with others.

It is not essential to go for a drive because that's what you want to  / always have done / are bored / don't see the problem.

The risk may be small but why would you want to increase your risk at a time like this!

All of this.

I honestly don't know why people keep asking questions like this. The instructions are clear yet so many people keep trying to find a loop hole.

Just stay home FFS.

#25 annodam

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:00 PM

But where does it end. And WHEN does it end?

It will end when the Government says it will end or a vaccine is found, 18mo if we're lucky, who knows?
If people did the right thing from the beginning, this would not be happening.

ETA:  Disconnect your battery from your car if you don't own a trickle charger.

Edited by annodam, 07 April 2020 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.