Shelf respect

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Ernegirl

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:15 AM

Ok hands up, I've always pressed pause watching news interviews staged in front of a bookcase, so that I can take a sneaky squizz at what books a particular luminary has on their bookshelf.  And draw my own conclusions - without any scientific basis  - on that person's literary taste, psychology, social pretensions, etc. In this coronavirus WFH reality,  we're having a goldrush of bookshelves appearing on screen, and my guilty pleasure is a new pastime now, apparently!

https://www.theguard...eir-bookshelves

I do remember being bemused by Dominic Raab at the time...

Have any bookshelves caught your eye, and why?

#2 71Cath

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:15 AM

I love looking at other people's shelves :)

I also love looking in other people's garages if they are open as I drive past, I think I might be a bit nosy.

I hadn't thought of pausing to have a closer look, great idea OP.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:30 AM

when I was younger I found out people can buy 'shelf' books - so you can just buy rows of books in bulk to make your shelves look pretty.

and books with fancy covers that are blank inside or just newspaper etc. so again it is to look good

so I love looking at shelves of books that people actually read and are not there for decoration

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

I saw someone on TV the other day with their bookshelf arranged by colour. For some reason, I always think colour-coordinated books aren’t books that are read. I’ve forgotten who it was, which annoys me, because I remember being surprised that she had them done that way, and she went down in my opinion just a little bit.

#5 Etta

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:02 AM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 09 April 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

I saw someone on TV the other day with their bookshelf arranged by colour. For some reason, I always think colour-coordinated books aren’t books that are read. I’ve forgotten who it was, which annoys me, because I remember being surprised that she had them done that way, and she went down in my opinion just a little bit.

One of my colleagues has colour-coded books. It reminds me of the episode in Black Books where the customer was looking for any book as long as it was leather bound.

When I am looking for a book I usually remember what colour the spine is so maybe it makes a bit of sense. But would rather group authors than colours.

#6 WaitForMe

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:38 AM

I was on a zoom meeting the other day with someone and their room's background had quite clearly had quite a bit of time spent on it to be about the image of themselves they want to project, I had to have a giggle. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a fake background.

They had an easel angled just enough towards the camera to see the start of something with their artwork on the wall behind it on one side, and then a guitar, music stand and scattered music in a too perfect just laying around way, and then a little side table with a small stack of books next to a chair with a throw scattered just so.

It was just too much!

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:27 AM

^^ I’m just happy if there’s no obvious mess behind me! I’ve been doing some outside with the laptop.

#8 kimasa

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:38 AM

Do not get a group of librarians started on colour coded bookshelves! THE DISORGANISATION!

We have a LOT of books. Most are rescues.

I go with a genrefied and individual owned shelving system.

#9 Jingleflea

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:54 AM

I have a friend who sells second hand books and he is asked for books to make a 'look' in a room quite often  think.

Dh has a bookcase behind him for his work stuff now it's full of Terry Pratchett Georgette Heyer, Lindsey Davis, cookbooks random crap, pictures of DD..
Hopefully they can't see the crap too well! I'll have to do a big tidy over Easter to make it more appealing lol.

#10 Ernegirl

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:43 PM

Yes, pause and peruse :) SeaPrincess I think I saw that interview, it was what sparked this thread. It was a lady on ABC breakfast, and she was gently ribbed by the hosts for having her books sorted by colour. Gosh I can't recall who she was, I was distracted by the books lol. She said she liked them that way and there was a shelf out of view that was not colour coded.

#11 Mmmcheese

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:55 PM

I think when scotty was doing one of his addresses, I was looking at his bookshelf. Couldn't see a copy of dark emu ;)

I'm doing video's for my kinder kids, I was thinking of putting in some books for the parents amusement. I got as far as Machiavelli, the prince.

#12 Ozquoll

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:45 PM

Hard to respect a person who would put in a shelf full of fake books 🧐. If you don't read books, just own it 🤷.

#13 FloralArrangement

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:51 PM

View Postkimasa, on 09 April 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

Do not get a group of librarians started on colour coded bookshelves! THE DISORGANISATION!

We have a LOT of books. Most are rescues.

I go with a genrefied and individual owned shelving system.

Bahaha worked in libraries for 20 years, passionately love books. Mine are in alphabetical order by author. Small non fiction collection so not as pedantic there.

#14 FloralArrangement

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:56 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 09 April 2020 - 06:45 PM, said:

Hard to respect a person who would put in a shelf full of fake books . If you don't read books, just own it .

it certainly is, it smacks of inauthenticity to me.

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:03 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 09 April 2020 - 06:45 PM, said:

Hard to respect a person who would put in a shelf full of fake books . If you don't read books, just own it .

Totally.

Our bookcases are jammed full of books in a slightly organised manner (by that i mean kids books, fiction books i like, fiction books dh likes & then reference books).

#16 kimasa

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:08 PM

Coronavirus has one of my bookshelves in disarray though.

I have a shelf in my bedroom of my loaned out library books, in order of importance to be returned soonest (customer reservations first, staff reservations second, no resis but I know will be popular third, I've had this out for too long fourth and "some random weird thing I plucked off the shelf while looking for something else that no one is going to ask for" fifth).

Now nothing is due. There is no system. They are decreasing and not increasing and my "take these with you" pile near the door is overflowing. I have to actually choose what to read next. I can't do that. I haven't done that in over a decade.

Edited by kimasa, 09 April 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#17 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:17 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 09 April 2020 - 07:03 PM, said:

Our bookcases are jammed full of books in a slightly organised manner (by that i mean kids books, fiction books i like, fiction books dh likes & then reference books).
Our bookcases (and by that, I mean my bookcases) are sorted into genre sections and alphbetically by author within sections. Except when I put favourite authors at the front (yes, I double-shelve books ...)

#18 CrankyM

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:40 PM

I loath the whole rainbow bookshelves thing. It makes me wonder if they ever actually get read or used. And fake bookshelves are just so so so wrong. I would judge you very harshly if you have shelves of books you have never read.

I will admit that even though I'm a librarian mine are not in a particular order. The non-fiction books are organised by size more then anything as for some reason they all seem to come in weird sizes, and the fiction books are organised by series and what shelf they will fit on. Authors are grouped but they certainly are not in alphabetical order, more arranged so they can be on the same shelf. But then I also have more books then bookshelves, so they do tend towards taller trade paperbacks/hardbacks being at the back of the shelf then the mass market paperbacks in front. So yeah I also double shelve, and pile books on top of the shelved ones.

I'm saving up to pay someone to make me custom bookshelves for "my" half of the living area so I can finally shelve everything properly.

Oh and library books live in a crate/box on the coffee table. This is so they don't vanish and I have to yet again pay to replace the lost library book.

Edited by CrankyM, 04 May 2020 - 05:41 PM.

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:45 PM

View PostMmmcheese, on 09 April 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

I think when scotty was doing one of his addresses, I was looking at his bookshelf. Couldn't see a copy of dark emu Posted Image

I'm doing video's for my kinder kids, I was thinking of putting in some books for the parents amusement. I got as far as Machiavelli, the prince.

Supposed to have this finished for book group tomorrow night.  Suspect I'll have a binge on it tomorrow - it's fascinating.

#20 Lesley225

Posted 04 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

I have my books in genre author series order
  Also my dads and he's but I do have my early edition angels Brazil's in colour order. Nice jackets together then the beautiful embossed  overs in merging shades.  Although I quite like the books are prettier than the insides

#21 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:03 PM

View PostCrankyM, on 04 May 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

I loath the whole rainbow bookshelves thing. It makes me wonder if they ever actually get read or used. And fake bookshelves are just so so so wrong. I would judge you very harshly if you have shelves of books you have never read.

I will admit that even though I'm a librarian mine are not in a particular order. The non-fiction books are organised by size more then anything as for some reason they all seem to come in weird sizes, and the fiction books are organised by series and what shelf they will fit on. Authors are grouped but they certainly are not in alphabetical order, more arranged so they can be on the same shelf. But then I also have more books then bookshelves, so they do tend towards taller trade paperbacks/hardbacks being at the back of the shelf then the mass market paperbacks in front. So yeah I also double shelve, and pile books on top of the shelved ones.
actually, now that I look at it, yes, not necessarily alphabetically, but more to ensure all books/series by the same author are together. Alphabetical might have been a desire, but it looks like that wasn't particularly practical ...

#22 Elpie

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:21 PM

I work in a corporate library and when we recently downsized we sold a number of report series to a business that onsells them - the man who collected them said most of their sales now are to professionals wanting an aesthetically pleasing bookshelf.

I'm a librarian and my books are just squeezed in in whatever configuration means that they all fit!

#23 Fourteenyears

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:07 PM

I’ve been providing Telehealth for years, as some of my clients live in remote regions.  I use our study, and a bookshelf is behind me. Before I started Telehealth, it was our overflow bookshelf.  The one the ‘crap’ books went in.

I will freely admit to curating it!  I own a lot of books and some of them are more likely to have clients questioning my judgement than others.

So.....out went the Twilight and Southern Vampire series and so on.  And in went the Margaret Atwood and Alexis Wright and Hilary Mantel.  

All of them are my books and, in their own way, reflections of who I am, but I want my clients to feel like they’re in good hands!  Or at least in the hands of someone whose judgement is generally more discerning than Twilight.

Edited by Fourteenyears, 04 May 2020 - 07:08 PM.

#24 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:22 PM

Well I have almost no hard copy books. Once books get old they set off my allergies so I decided many years ago that there was no point keeping books since I can't reread them past a few years old without sneezing. I only read ebooks, audio books,  or the very occasional purchased or borrowed hard copy book which I usually then pass on. My bookshelves are full of dvds lego and sewing patterns.

#25 PrincessPeach

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:25 PM

^ you never know, one of your clients might have enioyed twilight, so you strike up a relationship.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.