What's Your Favourite Book Series?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:17 PM

What's your favourite book series? Can be any genre. I'm just looking for a new series to binge read.

Edited by ImperatorFuriosa, 10 April 2020 - 03:30 PM.

#2 BadCat

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:26 PM

Edited by BadCat, 11 May 2020 - 08:54 PM.

#3 SusanStoHelit

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:36 PM

Discworld by Terry Pratchett (hence the user name). Humour set in a fantasy.

Robin Hobb- all books but particularly the assassins trilogy (assassins apprentice, royal assassin and assassins quest). Only books to make me both cry and laugh.

For some dark fantasy (i.e. horror) with some humour and smutty bits with a kickass female character: Jay Kristoff Nevernight series.

#4 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:38 PM

Dorothy Dunnett, both the Lymond series and the House of Niccolo.

#5 BeAwesome

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:25 PM

- The Maeve Kerrigan series by Jane Casey
- The Joseph O'Loughlin series by Michael Robotham
- The Dublin Murder Squadseries by Tana French

#6 sunsaboveitreya

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:26 PM

The Locked Tomb by Tamsyn Muir - only the first book is out so far: Gideon the Ninth.
Nevernight Chronicles by Jay Kristoff
All books in the Grishaverse by Leigh Bardugo - King of Scars duology, Six of Crows duology & Shadow & Bone trilogy.
Shades of Magic by V. E. Schwab
The Passage by Justin Cronin
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Simon Snow series by Rainbow Rowell
Miriam Black by Chuck Wendig

I can also recommend Samantha Shannon’s Priory of the Orange Tree if you’re looking for a super thick book. Not quite a series, but it’s a whopper.

#7 mandala

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:30 PM

The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson.

#8 steppy

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:31 PM

Stuck between Dune and The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. If you want to read something more recent, I've enjoyed Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Cycle and I quite like Sarah J Maas's novels - haven't read the crown ones but like the Throne of Glass series.

#9 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:34 PM

Samantha Shannon's Mime Order series is excellent as well as the Priory.

#10 Tokra

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:09 PM

I'm not gonna lie. My favourite series is Harry Potter!

#11 RynandStompy

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:20 PM

I've enjoyed the Mercy Thompson  series by Patricia Briggs.
DH and I both like Steve Brust Jhereg series

Another vote for Terry Pratchett

Handsdown I've loved the fun of the Liad series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller.

All mine are various fantasy genres, which do have a lot of world building in them, which makes for a great series.

Oh and the Phryne Fisher series.

Edit: Lois McMaster Bujold Vorkosigan series

Edited by RynandStompy, 10 April 2020 - 10:06 PM.

#12 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:25 PM

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
Strike series by Robert Galbraith (pen name of JK Rowling)
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

#13 Tokra

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

Oh and the Tom Douglas series by Rachel Abbott.

#14 needs to get out

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

For something from an entirely different genre, for a comfort read I'm pretty fond of Jilly Cooper's books including Rupert Campbell-Black - https://en.wikipedia..._Campbell-Black

Favourite sci-fi/fantasy books are by Julian May - the Pliocene Exiles/Galactic Milieu series - https://www.bookseri...com/julian-may/

#15 Tyfle Hour

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

The Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell.  Yes the books that the Netflix series is based on.

I love the show and books equally. I am currently at Book 8 but not sure if I want to wait for the series to catch up, but given the whole housebound situation at the moment, I am very close to going ahead.

#16 hoohoobump

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:18 PM

I’ve just enjoyed a couple of trilogies by Pat Barker - one the Regeneration trilogy and the Life Class trilogy - both set in and around the First World War.

For a bit lighter and fluffier I’ve also enjoyed the Maisie Dobbs series and the Maggie Hope series of late.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

View PostBeAwesome, on 10 April 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

- The Maeve Kerrigan series by Jane Casey
- The Joseph O'Loughlin series by Michael Robotham
- The Dublin Murder Squadseries by Tana French

I have read most of these in these series

I am thinking of my own to post

#18 seayork2002

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:53 PM

View Posthoohoobump, on 10 April 2020 - 06:18 PM, said:

I’ve just enjoyed a couple of trilogies by Pat Barker - one the Regeneration trilogy and the Life Class trilogy - both set in and around the First World War.

For a bit lighter and fluffier I’ve also enjoyed the Maisie Dobbs series and the Maggie Hope series of late.

I read one of Pat Barker about an art school from memory, she is from my husband's part of the world

#19 RichardParker

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

Not a series but Liane Moriarty books are always a great read.

#20 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:19 PM

View PostBadCat, on 10 April 2020 - 03:26 PM, said:

Daughter of the Empire series by Janny Wurts and Raymond Feist.  Rich in detail and plot, doesn't taper off to some pointless ending. Strong female protagonist. Fantasy. Hands down the best book series I've read.

Well Janny Wurts must be a great writer to make up for Raymond Fiest. I really dislike Feist's Magician series and yes I have read the majority of them as DH likes them. He's as bad as Robert Jordan in my book and I have actually meet and talked to both of these authors. I read a lot of fantasy and sci fi.
Totally agree with Patricia Briggs- Mercy Thompson series.
The series I reread often are Elizabeth Moon- Paksanarrion and Tamora Pierce- Alanna, Song of the Lioness. But that's a YA series.

#21 FiveAus

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:22 PM

The In Death books by JD Robb.
Jack Reacher series by Lee Childs

and one I've just started, the Morland Place series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. Historical fiction following a family from the 14th century to early 20th century. There's about 35 books in the series.

#22 ballogo

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

View PostBadCat, on 10 April 2020 - 03:26 PM, said:

Daughter of the Empire series by Janny Wurts and Raymond Feist.  Rich in detail and plot, doesn't taper off to some pointless ending. Strong female protagonist. Fantasy. Hands down the best book series I've read.

I just reread the entire series! I love the complexity of the society she creates and as Bad Cat states one of the best female protagonists.

#23 Rosepickles

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:00 PM

Robin Hobb's Assassin series, absolutely amazing.

#24 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:04 PM

Jack Reacher series - if you read these do not, I repeat DO NOT watch the bloody movies, it will ruin the book series!!

I enjoy the series Nora Roberts writes. There are several.

But my favourite is Harry Potter!!

#25 seayork2002

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:10 PM

Not my favourite but i had to keep reading to find out but Keith Nixon's gray series

UK police crime but slightly different to normal

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.