15 month old not chewing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Minnie80

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:59 PM

Hi guys,

So, my 15 month old eats only pureed food. I tried giving her finger food when she was 7 months but she was not interested. Then, when she was 12 months, she started trying to pick food from her brother's plate and pretending to eat from her toy plates. So, I thought she was interested. But, nope. She would swirl the food in her mouth and then spit it out. Occasionally, she would swallow. Also, the pieces of food I give her, have to be very small. Like tiny, or she will gag. The issue that bothers me, is that there is no chewing, just swirling around the mouth.
A bit of history because I think it is related. I had problems breastfeeding both my kids because of flat nipples. But my son, who is now four, used to latch. Often the latch was wrong, but he latched. My daughter, however never latched. Or maybe she latched once or something. I thought it was very bizarre. She would kind of "graze" on the tip of my nipples, but never take them in her mouth. It seemed really odd to me. I had all these creams, in case my nipples got sore or something, but my nipples were untouched. After three weeks,I gave up and pumped for her for 7 months. I am just mentioning this because I am thinking maybe it's related to the lack of chewing now?
But I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal with this?

#2 lucky 2

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

Hello, this hasn't happened in my family but it sounds like your dd is having some sort of feeding difficulty.
If it was my child I would want her to have a medical assessment and I'd seek out a paediatric speech pathology/therapist practice for assessment and support.

Did your dd feed ok from the bottle?

#3 Jingleflea

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:22 PM

Has she been assessed for a tongue tie at all?

#4 Minnie80

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:22 PM

Yes, she fed ok from the bottle. And when we moved to purred foods, she was ok as well. Ate her food and didn't spit it out. Finger food or anything that requires chewing is the problem
She's not talking either. Says only one word. I'm not sure if it's related. I am just very confused right now

#5 rosie28

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

I’d be seeing a speech pathologist to have it checked out. Does she chew toys etc?

#6 blimkybill

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

I think both of those issues could be addressed by a good speech pathologist. And also I would get her mouth and feeding checked out by a doctor as well.
The two can be related.
But there are definitely things you can do to help teach her to chew and eat. Get some professional advice - the speech pathologist will have to observe her mouth and observe exactly what she does with food.

#7 xxflashinglightsxx

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:32 PM

My thinking is tongue tie also. My daughter had hers water lased at 12 months as she wasn’t eating or speaking either. I saw a speech therapist at a community playgroup who recommended an ENT and a pediatric dentist I could see, we went with ENT as I had concerns about ear infections as well. She couldn’t latch well to breastfeed either, fed well on a bottle most of the time. She slept poorly (woke very frequently and snored as she had difficulty closing her mouth completely). She had trouble speaking and babbled the same sounds a lot. She had a preference for smooth purées, even yoghurt or mash potatoes could have her gag sometimes and she didn’t tolerate finger food.

My suggestion is bring it up with a GP or speech therapist and try to get a referral to an ENT. If it isn’t a tongue tie then it may be tonsils or similar that need to be assessed.

#8 Apageintime

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:06 PM

How was breastfeeding for you?

My guess would be a tongue tie.

I'd also see a speech pathologist asap

#9 Minnie80

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

Tongue tie was excluded by two pediatricians early on when we were having breastfeeding troubles.

#10 lucky 2

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:31 AM

I remember your posts about that. And that you live outside of Australia.
It's tricky because we have different health systems.
You need someone who deals with children and eating/oral issues. In Aust it would be a speechie and paed ENT. ?

#11 Gabbitz

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:51 AM

My DS was born prem and had issues with texture of food too. We were concerned it would cause problems long term. We went to see a speechie/OT team.

For him the speechie indicated there was nothing wrong medically (ie no tongue tie or anything), but the OT noted that he wasn’t able to move his food from side to side with his tongue, hence he couldn’t chew any food that went into his mouth.

They gave us some really simple things to do that started to trigger his chew reflex and once that happened, he ‘got’ it and food stopped being an issue. (It was a baby toothbrush gently rubbing his gums, so he’d start to bring his tongue over to investigate the sensation - strengthening the muscles in his mouth!)

For us it was the OT who was the defining factor picking what his issue was.

I hope it’s something that easy for you too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.