Toddler lolly/food challenge

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 EsmeLennox

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:25 PM

WDYT of the run of toddler challenge videos on SM at the moment, where an appealing food is put in front of the kid, and they’re told to wait until the parent returns before they can eat it, video running and then it’s posted online?

Hilarious?
Harmless fun?
A bit off?
Damaging?

It makes me uncomfortable, but I’m not sure if I’m just being, I dunno, old-fashioned(? Not sure if that’s the right word).

#2 Bono25

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:32 PM

Is there a point to it?
To me, its a bit too close to how people train dogs to wait for food. I don't really understand why you'd do that to a kid.

#3 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

That's horrible and yes a bit pointless.

#4 EsmeLennox

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

View PostBono25, on 17 May 2020 - 07:32 PM, said:

Is there a point to it?
To me, its a bit too close to how people train dogs to wait for food. I don't really understand why you'd do that to a kid.

The point appears to be the parent’s amusement, which is then shared with their online friends. So no, in my view, no point.

Maybe I’m just a stick in the mud, but I don’t like it at all.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:48 PM

Do they then get two of the item? Sounds like a flawed marshmallow experiment.

Not sure why people would experiment on their kids for fun though. Haven’t seen it on my sm.

#6 Lou-bags

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:54 PM

I have seen one such video and yes I did think it was a social media-ified version of the marshmallow experiment.

I'd probably be interested to see what my kids would do (suspect DS1 would eat it, he has very little ability to hold out for delayed gratification - while DS2 would wait). But if I did it, I doubt I would share it.

Edited by Lou-bags, 17 May 2020 - 07:54 PM.

#7 EsmeLennox

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, they get to eat it. And yes, it is derived from the marshmallow experiment, but for a different purpose.

#8 Leslie Knope

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

I don’t like them. I think they are weird and mean. I can’t articulate why right now (CBF), I just think they’re weird and mean.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:58 PM

I havent seen it, but why would you want to repeat an experiment that has been done countless times?

#10 Christmas tree

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:14 PM

I haven’t seen it...  it then it took me 6 posts in to figure out what sm stood for..

#11 Expelliarmus

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

Sounds pointless like a lot of videos parents post these days for amusement.

#12 Jingleflea

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:51 PM

Dh tried it on DD when she was little (and told me months later) and she didn't eat the marshmallow.

I would have eaten it!

He didn't film it, filming it and putting it online is just dumb.

#13 chicken_bits

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 17 May 2020 - 07:54 PM, said:

Yeah, they get to eat it. And yes, it is derived from the marshmallow experiment, but for a different purpose.

What's the purpose? So it's not actually the marshmallow experiment and they don't get a reward for delayed gratification?

#14 Meepy

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:21 PM

People being mean to kids for their own and other people’s amusement- and we wonder why there is an empathy deficit in some people.

#15 kimasa

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

I've definitely seen this video done with dogs.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:36 PM

View Postchicken_bits, on 17 May 2020 - 09:19 PM, said:

What's the purpose? So it's not actually the marshmallow experiment and they don't get a reward for delayed gratification?

The purpose is (seemingly) to amuse their parents and create SM content...

Reward? They get to eat whatever the food is.

It feels a bit ick to me.

#17 José

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

I haven't come across any of these videos at all.

#18 Pilar Palabundar

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:45 PM

Yeah Ive seen it.

Do you think it might also be a bit of" look at my kid be sooooo good".

That's what I think anyway... #humble brag veiled in a social media challenge

#19 chicken_bits

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:47 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 17 May 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

I think I must be old too. I don't see how that's funny.

#20 Lou-bags

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:54 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 17 May 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

In the original experiment it was ‘one now or two later’.

https://en.m.wikiped...llow_experiment

#21 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:26 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 17 May 2020 - 07:58 PM, said:

I havent seen it, but why would you want to repeat an experiment that has been done countless times?
I think that about Tik Tok....

#22 Treasure Island

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:50 PM

Stanford? Why am I not surprised.

#23 Lou-bags

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:41 PM

Meepy, on 17 May 2020 - 09:21 PM, said:

People being mean to kids for their own and other people’s amusement- and we wonder why there is an empathy deficit in some people.

Aside from the aspect of sharing a video of a child taken covertly without their permission, can I ask what you think is mean about this?

Is it because it’s done for amusement?

#24 Lou-bags

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:44 PM

Treasure Island, on 18 May 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

Stanford? Why am I not surprised.

Care to elaborate? As I understand it, the original and some of the subsequent experiments are problematic in their conclusions. Is this what you mean? Or is there something else?

IIRC a lot of dubious psychology research was done in that era, does Stanford have a specific reputation in that?

#25 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:46 PM

The ones I have seen have had eat it now or wait and get two with the parents banging on about their kids being soooo good being able to wait and make good choices...

I mean kids aren’t dumb, even they can figure out two lollies is better than one :lol:

People do some weird things for amusement and likes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.