Spin Off - What recipes are your specialties?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:58 AM

Spin off from the popular foods you’ve never cooked - what foods are your specialties? What do your friends ask for the recipe or ask you to bring?

Mine are:
Chocolate brownies. I made some for BIL to take somewhere once and months later when I met one of his friends, they asked if I was his SIL who made the brownies,

Baked raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake.

I have a friend who is coeliac, and these are both easy to adapt to be gluten free.

#2 can'tstayaway

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:35 AM

Hmmm, my specialty varies depending on the person.

For my parents, it’s my baking skills. For a while, they would ask me to make dessert whenever they were having a dinner party.

For my IL’s, I used to get invited to basically cater whenever they had guests. One time it was for 30+ people and, when I demurred MIL went to DH to get us to ‘attend’. DH negotiated a compromise where she would pay for the ingredients but then she was too cheap to provide enough food and kept telling me to reduce the quantities.

For my teenage son’s friends, it’s all the meaty dishes like roasts and steaks.

At the primary school and playgroup bring-a-plates, it was my finger sandwiches and cheesy puffs but I think it was just a nice contrast to all the usual sweet plates.

For friends in recent years, I’m becoming famous for my supply of champagne and delivery ordering. If I’m feeling particularly organised, I will drop off a big platter at the deli or restaurant ahead of time and they will present it all beautifully for me 😝
Even for weekend sport, half time fruit, I have been known to supply a fruit platter from a local deli (we were renovating and had no kitchen).

Actually, I’m known in our city sports club for my orange cutting. The little kids commented on how much nicer my oranges are to eat lol. It all goes back to my training as a young bride in regional Australia where they take hospitality seriously (because it’s a hike to visit anyone) and sporting clubs are like a cult.

#3 cstar

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:30 PM

My brownies and my cookies mostly

I also make a cinnamon cake that people always want the recipe for once they've eaten a piece.

#4 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:36 PM

Cakes, desserts, filo pastries, calzones and pasties, pies.

Also do a few pretty good slow cooker dishes. Doing a mince with okra and green beans tomorrow yum.

#5 nom_de_plume

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:38 PM

I'm a good baker. I had a casual job in a bakery when I was younger which probably helped. Bread, pizza bases and cake decorating I am quite adept at.

I'm also becoming a dab hand at fermentation as DP is really into it. We make our own sourdough, sauerkraut, kimchi and beer.

My most requested dishes/recipes by family and friends are things like a classic roast, zuchinni slice, shakshuka, potato salad, tabbouleh, minestrone or lentil soup.

#6 JoanJett

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

Making something out of nothing.  

Meaning, opening the fridge and being able to make a decent meal out of the dregs.  It makes a big difference to reducing our food waste and our grocery bill.

But otherwise, plenty of menus for entertaining and family favourites. Decadent desserts are a specialty, which is ironic, because I'd rather a good cheese platter for dessert.

#7 halcyondays

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:43 PM

I am asked to make pakoras for almost every drinks “bring a plate” event. They go down fast, especially when people are hungry, drinking and most people seem to bring sweets or cheese,
I do a good vegetable pilaf and Raita and am often asked to bring it to bbq- mainly to ensure the vegetarians get a feed, I guess.

My kids love lamb kofta (Nagi recipe), but I think it’s actually the sides that they really want- carrot salad, smashed cucumber, parsley salad (ottolengi recipes) hummus and garlic dip, flatbreads

#8 ali-song

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:53 PM

Baking, probably - cakes/cupcakes/slices etc

I also make a mean mac‘n’cheese, and Mexican food (fajitas, quesadillas, enchiladas)

#9 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

Cob loaf or volcano bread as it’s known as here.

And Mac and cheese, its so good.

When we are invited anywhere those are what people request from me. Obviously we don’t go to these fancy a*se dinner parties I read about on EB :rofl:

#10 Mmmcheese

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:00 PM

Ribs and I once made a chocolate tart that is mentioned nearly everytime I see that person nearly 10 years later! I have no idea what recipe I used! Dad loves my plum pudding too.

#11 Mrs Claus

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:15 PM

Honey joys...and that’s it. My kids prefer dad to cook over me every time

#12 a letter to Elise.

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:37 PM

I make really good cakes. They are also allergy friendly, so I always get requests to bring one, as I can cater for pretty much anything. My most requested is lemon and blueberry cake, but I also make a great orange cake, and a really nice honey cake.

I’m also really good at salads and vegetable dishes. My in-laws always request those if we are bringing a dish to their place.

#13 Silverstreak

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:22 PM

Chicken pesto pasta, lasagne and roast potatoes.

#14 seayork2002

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:30 PM

I can make a white sauce mostly successfully and cook a roast in the oven if all i have to is put it on tray and put it in
i can also make crackling

#15 Let-it-go

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:46 PM

Roast potatoes are my most famed dish.  They unfailingly crunch perfectly!

#16 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:17 PM

View Posthalcyondays, on 21 May 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

I am asked to make pakoras for almost every drinks “bring a plate” event. They go down fast, especially when people are hungry, drinking and most people seem to bring sweets or cheese,

Would you be willing to share your recipe?

#17 joeyinthesky

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:25 PM

I’m a good baker. Pre-children I loved spending a weekend day trying out a new and complex dessert or cake. Now it’s mostly yummy comfort type dessert & quick cakea/biscuits/slices without  the complexity or time requirement.  
I make a mean beef roast, gravy & yorkshire puds.
And chicken sandwiches.

#18 Dianalynch

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:51 PM

My specialty is ordering. I’m ashamed to say.

#19 Ellie bean

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:08 AM

View PostDianalynch, on 21 May 2020 - 10:51 PM, said:

My specialty is ordering. I’m ashamed to say.
Same but I’m not ashamed at all :)

#20 EmmaFY

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:06 AM

Being woken up by a wiggly baby and deciding to check this thread was an interesting choice for me to make. Here I am at 3am drooling over every single thing in here. Thanks ;)

My specialty is my roast potatoes. They are thrice cooked duck fat potatoes, to be precise. We have a big extended Christmas lunch with around 40 adults and I don't think I'd be allowed to attend if I didn't take my potatoes. Fair call though, they are amazing.

My lasanga, potato salad and our wood fire pizzas have always received compliments when entertaining.

#21 halcyondays

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:01 AM

https://www.indianhe...container-38282

I use this recipe loosely!

#22 redchick

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:17 AM

People love my chewy chocolate chip cookies (which are super easy to make) and my sourdough bread.

#23 spr_maiden

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:46 AM

I made vegetarian sausage rolls for a friend, and now they request or suggest them for any bring a plate. They do go quickly.
Otherwise my lentil and mushroom nutloaf is alway requested for Christmas. It gets eaten by everyone,  never any leftovers so I make extra to keep at home for us the following day.
Idk, I've been told I'm a good cook, but most of my siblings and my father are all good cooks as are a couple of friends, so it's not a standout thing.
I used to bake a lot more but nothing fancy. I don't really do fancy food. I do savoury better than sweet,  though I can make a good basic cake and vegan choc brownies.

#24 Lunafreya

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:01 AM

I’m not sure I have a speciality as I can be rather adventurous but I also like an easy recipe. I am known in my medieval group for bringing riceballs to gatherings. Some are even vegetarian.

I love doing soups and stews from scratch. I save lots of money by making a big one and eating that for the week.

Edited by Lunafreya, 22 May 2020 - 09:02 AM.

#25 Dirty Cat

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:27 AM

Anyone willing to share recipes. I love to try new things.

I'd love to learn how to nail a roast potato. A good roast potato is pretty delicious but a ok one is just a hunger stopper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.