Twilight movie - what age?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:18 PM

9YO DD wanted to watch as school friends have.  I dont remember there being anything too adult in it, a couple of spooky bits possibly.  I googled and it came up PG-13.  But when I put it on netflix its rated M.  I gather different rating in different countries.  What do you think EB?  OK for a 9YO?

#2 Riotproof

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:24 PM

I am listening to a podcast about the book ATM, and you know it has a lot of controlling behaviour from Edward. Things I didnt really see when I was reading/watching. I wouldn't want my dd to see it until I could have a frank discussion about the behaviour and relationship modelling.

So, maybe 12-13?

#3 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

I find commonsense media a good place.

https://www.commonse...ht/user-reviews

TBH I don’t like Twilight and would be having conversations with my 10yo over romantasising obsessive controlling relationships. I wasn’t into 50 Shades either.

#4 PizzaSteve

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:37 PM

Never - because it’s terrible.

#5 Tokra

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:50 PM

I think it is child dependent rather than age dependent.

I think you know your child best and know what she can / can't handle.

I agree that there are a lot of controlling and co-dependency issues.

You don't necessarily need to be able to discuss those. But I think you do need to be able to discuss that it's just a movie and not a real representation of relationships and life.

#6 Prancer is coming

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

I am a big fan of following ratings.  My 13yo has read the books and has been keen to watch it for a while.  I am now at the point where I would probably be okay with her watching it, but I have younger children at home and there really is not an opportunity for her to see it without the younger ones.  Plus she has not asked for months.

#7 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:08 PM

PizzaSteve, on 22 May 2020 - 08:37 PM, said:

That was DH's feeling on the issue :rofl:

#8 wilding

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:12 PM

PizzaSteve, on 22 May 2020 - 08:37 PM, said:

The part I watched while having dinner in a food place in Thailand was enough to make me nearly poke my eyes out, the only thing funny was the mismatched english subs :secret: :rofl:

#9 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:19 PM

I like Twilight a lot, watched it a few times and read the books....

I would probably wait a couple of years personally - closer to 13 is when I watched it with older DD and will do the same with younger DD and we are very laidback about ratings and I mean very!

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 22 May 2020 - 09:20 PM.

#10 Mumsyto2

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:49 AM

None, it’s too bad for any age, 9 to 90 :).

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:11 AM

View PostMadMarchMasterchef, on 22 May 2020 - 08:18 PM, said:

9YO DD wanted to watch as school friends have.  I dont remember there being anything too adult in it, a couple of spooky bits possibly.  I googled and it came up PG-13.  But when I put it on netflix its rated M.  I gather different rating in different countries.  What do you think EB?  OK for a 9YO?
My girls haven't seen it yet but I don't think I would have let them see it at 9.  DD1 is 13 now and I might consider it this year or next year. To be honest, I'd prefer she watch Hunger Games before Twilight, LOL! (she read Hunger Games last year, hasn't shown any interest in reading Twilight yet, or any romance for that matter - although she has just started City of Bones in the last week)

It's not a romance story that I am keen for her to watch while she's younger. Not much to recommend in terms of setting good role models in relationships.

#12 Jingleflea

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:14 AM

I'd hope 10 yr old DD never watches it, or 50 Shades of sh*te.
Luckily she's not into romances yet.
I'm strict on what she sees though, I check Commonsense Media and go by what they and the community reviews say.

#13 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:56 AM

View PostJingleflea, on 24 May 2020 - 07:14 AM, said:

I'd hope 10 yr old DD never watches it, or 50 Shades of sh*te.
Luckily she's not into romances yet.
I'm strict on what she sees though, I check Commonsense Media and go by what they and the community reviews say.

I did have a look at CSM and most people were saying it was pretty tame but they were American and in America its rated PG. Thats what initially confused me!

It does make more sense about the healthy relationship part after reading everyones comments.  I remember that there wasnt any sex in it.

#14 WaitForMe

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:10 AM

Is she ready to understand healthy vs unhealthy relationships, that feelings of love should not overrule your own health and wellbeing, why what he does is wrong, and why movies and books portray unhealthy relationships in a positive way or try to justify them using the concept of soul mates?

My daughters turning 8 next month, I can't imagine she will be ready for any of this in a year or so.

#15 Riotproof

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

View PostMadMarchMasterchef, on 24 May 2020 - 07:56 AM, said:

I did have a look at CSM and most people were saying it was pretty tame but they were American and in America its rated PG. Thats what initially confused me!

It does make more sense about the healthy relationship part after reading everyones comments.  I remember that there wasnt any sex in it.

have a read through some of the parent reviews.

#16 RynandStompy

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

My DD is 9 and no way. The controlling relationship modelling in Twilight  is not appropriate for her to watch yet, even if scaffolded with a parent discussion.

I sat with her last night we watched The Princess Diaries. It's lighter tween rom com. Still a dumb movie to me but she liked watching it and that was the point.

The user guy and mean girls were easier for her to see and discuss.
Tbh the arguments with friends and rebuilding from that were the best bits. We were able to chat about people having strong feelings if friends change and how to deal.

#17 BusbyWilkes

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:45 AM

With the ratings, it’s not so much that they are rated differently, but are called different things in different countries. PG 13 in the US is always IME rated M in Aus.

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

They rate very different things in America. Things get rated PG with some terrible theme because of a lack of sex basically - from what I can tell.

I wouldn’t let a 9yo watch Twilight. 13ish maybe.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 24 May 2020 - 09:47 AM.

#19 Riotproof

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:51 AM

I love a good consensus thread on EB.

#20 RynandStompy

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:25 AM

I think I'd start DD on Buffy first in  future years, way before Twilight.
Does anyone else recall the mashup of Buffy vs Edward?

https://youtu.be/RZwM3GvaTRM

#21 jayskette

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:36 AM

c'mon man. look at the movie posters...!
or, how about getting her to read the books first, she will either get grossed out, or read the whole thing, either way you get a good educational outcome!

#22 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:55 PM

View PostRynandStompy, on 24 May 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

I think I'd start DD on Buffy first in  future years, way before Twilight.
Does anyone else recall the mashup of Buffy vs Edward?

https://youtu.be/RZwM3GvaTRM

Love that. I really enjoy Buffy.

#23 zogee

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:05 PM

I let my 11 yo watch it but not before I ‘ruined’ it by critiquing the themes about love and control as mentioned above. Apparently I really put her off it lol

#24 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

I’d totally recommend Buffy instead. Twilight is sh*t. On all fronts.

#25 Riotproof

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:35 PM

Do any streaming services have Buffy now? I didnt watch it, but I wonder if I should.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.