Baby Lead Weaning - seeking tips and recipes that save time

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Marinated.

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:27 PM

BLW is going well with my 7.5 month old. There have been gagging episodes - which have caused my heart to stop - but it's otherwise been safe and fun.

It is, however, taking a lot of time to prep fresh meals - which isn't sustainable.

I've started to build a menu of nutritious, simple and ideally freezable meal options. Am still very cautious with food that poses a choking risk (chicken continues to scare the cr*p out of me), so 'smooshable' options are preferred.

Any recipes and general time saving tips are appreciated.

Edited by Marinated., 22 May 2020 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Riotproof

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:36 PM

Hello, blw doesn’t seem to get talked about much here anymore. I’m not sure why, but there were some big threads back in the day.

I found that actually prep was just part of our normal food prep, Leaving out salt, honey and sauces.

cucumber sticks was a big favourite for da. Halved banana with a cm skin cut off the top, but always with a bib because bananas stain badly. Roasted vegetable sticks.. carrot, potato etc.

here is one. http://www.essential...abyled weaning

Edited by Riotproof, 22 May 2020 - 09:39 PM.

#3 Wonderstruck

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:45 AM

Look at one handed cooks books/blog.

They are the best.

#4 Holly298

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:04 AM

I used to make mini versions of:
Falafel
Salmon cakes
Crab cakes
Turkey or chicken “nuggets”
Zucchini slice
Mini pizzas (I put cheese, spinach, tomato and olives on his)

These are great lunch ideas or id freeze them so if we were going out for the day or going somewhere where it was easier to take our own food  I had home made, nutritious finger food with me - egg pancakes were also easy - literally 2 eggs scrambled with chopped herbs and tomato (or whatever was in the fridge) and pan fried in a mini fry pan, 2 mins each side and cut into strips, very easy and quick

But at dinner he would literally have a version of what we had (with curries i would add more chili after I took his portions out) but we had lots of salmon and steamed veggies (just flake the salmon ) butter chicken, pasta , meatballs, kofta, risotto ect he would sit happily for ages gnawing on a corn cob or a lamb cutlet!

#5 seayork2002

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:51 AM

We just fed what we had, no ide if that was officially blw or not

I made a couple of abnabel karmel recipes at the start

#6 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

The reason we did BLW was so they just ate what we ate and I didn’t need to make additional meals.

#7 ~Bob~

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:59 AM

I agree with Jolly_F I thought the whole idea was that baby eats what the family eats. I actually had comments at a restaurant when my 8 month old was holding salmon in one hand and was munching on asparagus on the other hand.

#8 WaitForMe

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:23 AM

Watermelon was a big hit with my two, its the perfect consistency - firm enough to hold, but it smooshes up in the mouth easily.

I didn't really bother with meat until they were older, except perhaps the odd lamb chop to suck on. Even that was rare as we had a dog so I'd have to make sure he was locked up so he couldn't score a dropped bone.

Any time I attempted to do a big cookup of something specially for them, they'd reject it. Not worth the effort.

#9 Crazyone26989

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

I just give DS 11 months what I’m having. He had a samosa and a little bit of curry today!

On the odd occasion that he has some seperate I just cook up some pasta, cauliflower and broccoli and add some homemade pesto.

Edited by Crazyone26989, 23 May 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#10 Lunafreya

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:22 PM

My son loved strawberries, especially cold from the fridge when he was teething. Just make sure they’re nice and big so he can hold them like an apple

#11 Marinated.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:32 PM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 23 May 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

The reason we did BLW was so they just ate what we ate and I didn’t need to make additional meals.

This was definitely part of its appeal.

In practice, it's proving to be a bit tricky for us.

While breakfast is usually fine (e.g. eggs, toast), a lot of my usual lunch and dinner options have too much salt and heat. I'm tweaking these where possible but am also keen to learn some new recipes that work for everyone.

I figure it's also chance to refresh my (fairly limited) cooking repertoire.

View PostRiotproof, on 22 May 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

Hello, blw doesn’t seem to get talked about much here anymore. I’m not sure why, but there were some big threads back in the day.

I found that actually prep was just part of our normal food prep, Leaving out salt, honey and sauces.

cucumber sticks was a big favourite for da. Halved banana with a cm skin cut off the top, but always with a bib because bananas stain badly. Roasted vegetable sticks.. carrot, potato etc.

here is one. http://www.essential...abyled weaning

That thread looks useful - thank you!

#12 gracie1978

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:37 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 23 May 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

My son loved strawberries, especially cold from the fridge when he was teething. Just make sure they’re nice and big so he can hold them like an apple

How cool would it be to eat a strawberry the size of an apple :)

#13 Riotproof

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

Things like removing a portion of stir fry before adding the sauces can help.

If you haven’t already, it’s well worth reading Gil Raplys book.

http://www.rapleyweaning.com/

#14 Kallie88

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

We just gave what we were eating. If we were having like pork chops or steak and veggies, they'd get veggies and maybe a strip of meat to suck/ chew on. Stir fry, spaghetti, basically any pasta or rice dish they'd usually get a small serve the same as ours. Deconstructed sandwich/ burger/ taco if that's what we were having. If they liked it sometimes I'd be able to freeze a small portion as a spare for them. Tinned tuna was a good meat substitute if needed, or baked beans. I found they got more variety pretty naturally as they got older, first few months was usually pretty exclusively steamed veg

#15 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

I have 2 older kids so what I made was tailored to them as well but zucchini slice as somebody mentioned is a good one.

Baked potatoes (cut into smaller bits and let baby eat the potato off the skin)..  

similarly chunks of other baked veggies - pumpkin etc

tuna patties

boiled eggs

slices of hamburger

I make a lot of filo pastries and as long as the pastry isn't too crispy if you make them small baby can hold and eat some - examples pork, tuna, pumpkin, beetroot, potato, spinach, kale, ricotta etc etc

pancakes

sweetcorn fritters

DS also loved thawed out pieces of any of the frozen fruits you can buy for $4 in coles - mango, strawberry, pineapple etc, pieces of avocado, pieces of fetta, and pieces of fritz.

#16 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

oh I also gave DS bits of bread with dips on them like hummus, eggplant dip, tahini, peanut paste, vegemite, cheese spread etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.