Rental in a hotel!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Silverstreak

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:09 PM

Was browsing real estate rentals this morning and came across this property. It's a studio apartment that you can rent in a hotel. I've never come across that before, wonder if it's an initiative since Covid-19?

https://www.realesta...ourne-428601322

I think it would be great for a student, might get a bit squishy for a family. But I really like the idea of 24 hour reception and maybe a buffet breakfast deal of some sort.

#2 Silverstreak

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

Ah, it's furnished too. Guess that's easy to do in a hotel!

#3 qak

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:17 PM

NRAS has been around for a while, but I'm not familiar with it at all. There is some sort of a subsidy to the landlord. It may have been a condition of the build (or an incentive).

I don't know if there's any hotel benefits (room servicing etc) that would be included? Or even if you get to use hotel facilities at all.

The listing doesn't even include any photos of the room ("studio") being offered!

#4 notsoretro

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

The Goldsborough in Sydney is like this. You can own a unit, they range from studio rooms and up. http://www.goldsbrough.com.au/

#5 Silverstreak

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:25 PM

View Postqak, on 23 May 2020 - 12:17 PM, said:

NRAS has been around for a while, but I'm not familiar with it at all. There is some sort of a subsidy to the landlord. It may have been a condition of the build (or an incentive).

I don't know if there's any hotel benefits (room servicing etc) that would be included? Or even if you get to use hotel facilities at all.

The listing doesn't even include any photos of the room ("studio") being offered!

Sorry, should clarify, I'm curious about the renting in a hotel aspect.

As for NRAS, we rent an NRAS property. We pay 20% below market rate rent and in exchange our landlord gets $10 K a year tax breaks. The scheme is due to run out in 2026, hopefully a similar scheme will take its place.

And yes, if I were thinking about renting a place I'd want to see pics of the inside too!

#6 dadwasathome

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

View Postnotsoretro, on 23 May 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

The Goldsborough in Sydney is like this. You can own a unit, they range from studio rooms and up. http://www.goldsbrough.com.au/

The former Bentley Suites in Forrest ACT was another serviced apartment complex where apartments were clarly individually owned. Haven't seen it for hotels though.

#7 can'tstayaway

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

You can buy ‘rooms’ in some hotels. Some people live in them and some rent them out.

I used to lust over the ones at the Westin in Melbourne.

You get the benefits of concierge service etc and can order room service. For a fee, you can have hotel cleaning service too.

#8 Mumsyto2

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:53 PM

They are not uncommon and have been around for ages, nothing to do with Covid. I know of a fair few in Sydney and Melbourne, not sure about other places.

#9 Silverstreak

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:04 PM

Wow, I had no idea you could buy rooms in a particular hotel, that would be amazing!

#10 just roses

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

My brother and my parents both own units in a hotel in Brisbane (Southbank). My brother lived in his for about two years and I used to stay with him one night a week for work for a while. It was great. It was a proper one bedroom unit, but still had hotel facilities such as pool/spa, restaurant and room service. I got room service a few times but my brother rarely did. Too tempting if you let yourself do it regularly!

ETA: The great thing, in terms of it being a rental, is being able to switch between the rental and hotel pool. Hotel pays more but unpredictable. Rental pool gives a very steady return.

Edited by just roses, 23 May 2020 - 01:21 PM.

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:23 PM

People privately owning apartments in hotels has been around a long long time, they block out the period they want to use them and rent them out the rest of the time.

Lots of them on the Gold Coast!

#12 eponee

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:29 PM

This hotel in Launceston often has rooms/units for sale

https://www.realesta...eston-132854630

#13 Dustyblue

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:48 PM

I had no idea this was a thing, but I can see the appeal if you had all those nice facilities on hand.

A bit different, but 1 of the 3 pubs in town here is also a hotel. It's a beautiful old building but I don't think anyone actually lives in the rooms.

However, they are rented on a monthly basis to visiting 'ladies of the night' who set up shop, do a thriving trade and move on again.

That's probably not on realeastate.com, maybe airtasker? lol

#14 jayskette

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:13 PM

you will find that most apartment rentals in CBDs to be this type.

#15 ytt

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

Now I'm lusting after a hotel lifestyle lol .. My gardens are pretty bad!

DH will never ever do this as he stays/stayed in hotels for work and hates them!!

Never knew this existed!

#16 JoanJett

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:18 PM

We've stayed in a few apartment blocks with the combined rental/short stay and owners/long term lessees.

As an owner/renter, I think you'd need to be pretty tolerant, particularly when there are shared spaces/facilities involved.  

It's funny, when we travel for a longer period, I completely crave home - cooking and even cleaning.  But right now, after Covid-induced confinement at home and reduced prospects for travel in the short term, I'd love to be restricted to a hotel room and a limited room service menu :)

#17 maryanneK

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:39 PM

what an interesting idea - I had no idea you could own a hotel room!
Plays into my fantasy of living in a rambling house in the country and popping in to my city hotel room for a night or two for work/bars/shopping etc

#18 Silverstreak

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:44 PM

I can think of worse things than living in a comfy hotel room and ordering room service, sigh!

#19 ytt

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:29 PM

View PostSilverstreak, on 23 May 2020 - 09:44 PM, said:

I can think of worse things than living in a comfy hotel room and ordering room service, sigh!

Dh spent a lot of time of work in a hotel... it is not nice from his point of view, poor room service or listening to domestic violence or very loud sex.

I've spent enough times with him and experienced the above to agree but I still want some time out with this stupid 2020

#20 Mumsyto2

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:45 AM

View Postytt, on 23 May 2020 - 11:29 PM, said:

Dh spent a lot of time of work in a hotel... it is not nice from his point of view, poor room service or listening to domestic violence or very loud sex.

What sort of hotels is he staying in? I travel frequently for business and thankfully have never heard domestic violence, in fact it’s rare I have ever heard people in surrounding rooms, sometimes loud people arriving back via the corridor to get to their room and that’s annoying but that’s been the extent of it. I’ve had the loud sex during the night on a few occasions but summing up the number of times this has happened and frequency of travel I’d class it as uncommon, probably helps I am a deep sleeper though :).

The poor room service is perplexing. What does this refer to? Bad housekeeping? sh*tty food/room service? Or something else? I don’t routinely strike this but on the odd occasion the room is not prepared satisfactorily you contact reception and arrange to have it rectified while you have a few drinks in the bar on them. If there for more than a night and it’s poor daily service then get it rectified when you get back to your room, yes can be a bother if you just want to crash or have urgent things to do but generally a 30min delay at most and again have a drink or nibble on them in that short time.

#21 can'tstayaway

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

View Postytt, on 23 May 2020 - 08:56 PM, said:

Now I'm lusting after a hotel lifestyle lol .. My gardens are pretty bad!

DH will never ever do this as he stays/stayed in hotels for work and hates them!!

Never knew this existed!
The beauty of owning your own, is that you get to stay in a second home without the hassle of maintenance and perks of a hotel. You leave your clothes and personal belongings there, so no luggage to bother about either.

#22 It's Percy

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:11 PM

We lived in a hotel in KL. We had a penthouse five bedroom apartment on the top of a hotel. We could've used the services provided like laundry or room service but I also had a helper so didn't need the laundry and Grab eats (like Uber eats) was much cheaper! Used their pools and gym though!

But yes its been around forever in Australia.

#23 annodam

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:27 PM

I'm not one for apartments as such, but I reckon it'd be grouse if you bought a 1 br one & rented it out to students, one near a Uni.
I'm pretty sure I saw one advertised close to Melbourne Uni last year & thought oh yeah, how cool!

As long as I didn't have to live in it...

#24 Grrrumbles

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:23 PM

I’ve stayed in a fair few of these places when travelling for work.

My experience is the floors that have a lot of uni students on them can be noisy (people coming and going more) and smelly (lots of cooking smells from really tiny kitchens and not great rubbish disposal options).

Not always a problem but I suspect that the ones I have stayed in close to uni campuses have had multiple students staying in a studio or small one bedroom apartment as there just seemed to be more people around than a typical hotel I stay in that can be ghost quiet during the week if you are lucky.

My first work trip after having my second child, I stayed in a suburban apartment hotel and the people next to me were a young family with toddlers. My first night of not having to do bedtime and I had to listen to theirs in graphic detail. It was not relaxing at all.

#25 Dianalynch

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:59 PM

I’d like to live in a very nice resort, like the racv at Torquay or similar, but not a standard hotel, a friend of mine lived in one in Melbourne and while it was nice enough it would be dispiriting to live there

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.