knee meniscus surgery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 *melrose*

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:59 PM

Hi all, so had a MRI and yep have torn my cartilage in my knee. Was in pain for about 2 months before I seen my gp. I'm about to do physo on it, I'm in so much pain that I'm worried that it will give me more pain. Doctor said if it doesn't heal after physo I will need surgery.
So my questions are have you torn your knee meniscus and did you have surgery? How long did it take to recover? Was surgery painful? Were you a sleep during surgery?
Thank you.

#2 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:38 AM

My sister had surgery after a skiing accident and after 6 months her knee hadn't improved and I have had a tendon repair in my shoulder.
Yes, surgery is under a GA but is normally not long, like under 2 hours. It's normally an overnight stay in hospital.
Yes, surgery is painful, they are having to cut you open but they should give you pain relief for the first week or so. I had a topical anesthetic pump attached to my shoulder I could push to get relief but that came out after 3 days ( was able to do that myself).
My sister was on crutches for about 2 weeks before switching to a moon boot ( I was in a sling for that time too) but they do get you back to the physio in 4 to 6 weeks.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

I had a knee arthroscopy around 6-7 years ago  It wasn’t specifically *for* torn cartilage but that is what they found when they went in there. There was some floating bits of cartilage which they cleaned up basically.

It was keyhole, day surgery under twilight sedation and was not particularly painful although it was sore for a week or two. A very different experience to PP.

#4 JLCJ

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:48 AM

I've had meniscus surgery on both knees (about 18 months apart).  Was a simply day procedure, pain wasn't too bad.  They recommend resting for a day afterwards but then trying to move as normal as much as possible thereafter.  Both times I was given one week off work - by 'normal' they mean stand/move around at home, not drive, do sports etc.  They gave the knee a good clean up and remove 'bits' that were floating around.  

The surgeries were about 4-5 years ago.  Occasionally I still get a bit of pain if I squat/stretch too far, but otherwise it's fine.

#5 Ktonic

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:04 AM

I had arthroscopy 18 months ago for a similar problem - torn meniscus confirmed by MRI, but only after physio on my knee didn’t help.  Quick day procedure, crutches for a few days and a several weeks of physio.  I’d say it’s about 98% “as good as new” - I can’t do a full depth squat but I can do everything else!

#6 foofoo

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

I had a grade 4 tear repaired via keyhole surgery under GA.  I had a few other things done at the same time so this made my recovery longer.

I was in overnight and was on crutches 6 weeks.  I had significant swelling.  I was back at work after 3 weeks.  I had a lot of physio afterwards as I had minimal ability to bend my knee post surgery - but this could be related to the other things that were done.

I had a lateral release done on my other knee and cartlidge repair 10  months later.  

18 months later I would say my knees are good.  I have trouble squatting and if I walk too much my knees ache and are sore.

Edited by foofoo, 24 May 2020 - 10:08 AM.

#7 IamOzgirl

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:55 PM

Melrose, do the physio.

Talk to your physio about pre surgery strengthening. I did that after rupturing my ACL. My surgeon wasn’t sure if I needed surgery but said that prehab is the same as rehab anyway. So you are either strengthening prior to surgery which will help with post surgery recovery. Or you decided you don’t need surgery.

#8 *melrose*

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:52 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 24 May 2020 - 06:55 PM, said:

Melrose, do the physio.

Talk to your physio about pre surgery strengthening. I did that after rupturing my ACL. My surgeon wasn’t sure if I needed surgery but said that prehab is the same as rehab anyway. So you are either strengthening prior to surgery which will help with post surgery recovery. Or you decided you don’t need surgery.
Yes i have my first appointment in 2 weeks so will ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.