Baby Seat on Qantas???
Baby Seat on Qantas???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tubbyguts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:50 PM

Has anyone successfully taken and fitted a baby seat on Qantas for an overseas airflight?
If so, which seat did you bring/buy, and are there any other accessories I need besides the seat? Thanks!

#2 2bundles

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:29 PM

As I understand it there are only a couple of spots on the plane it can be fitted as it attaches with the anchor bolt like in a car.  You need to book it, and obviously you need to pay for the seat.

#3 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:38 PM

Do you mean a rear-facing capsule or a forward facing seat?  If the latter, we have used ours (similar to the convertible in Australia - I think it's the Safe 'n' Sound?) on several Qantas sectors now.  Never rear-facing though.  However, you need to make sure that your car seat is approved for airline use.  We had lots of dramas with check-in staff trying to confirm that ours was approved (which it was and stated so on the side of it, but they didn't trust it, and took ages to hunt down the actual code that says it's approved...).

#4 Tal

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

If you are taking any carseat on board for your baby/toddler with Qantas, they ask that you phone reservations more than 24 hours before the flight and tell them the exact make and model of your seat. (This avoids the hassle at check-in that Janet had.)

They can then cross-check with engineering in advance that your seat is on the approved list and will fit, so then when you check-in it's a simple case of them matching up the seat model number on your seat, with the seat model number that has been noted in your booking reference on their system as approved by engineering.

I would really suggest you do this - check in staff reserve the right to not allow anything on board that they cannot verify on the spot.

Me 34
Husby 35
Finnian, 32 wks, 1295g
http://lilypie.com/b...031121/2/1/1/ 8

#5 sydangel68

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:31 PM

Hi, we took DS and his carseat on Qantas to Hawaii in December. Grrrr is all I can say.

WARNING LONG POST

They told us to let them know well before the flight the full details of the seat which we did as it needs to meet Australian safety standards. They then told us to be at checkin an extra hour early as we needed to provide the seat to them so it could be fitted etc.

When we got to the airport 3 hrs before the flight, we were told that the car seat would actually need to be carried by us through to the boarding gate, they would then check it there and either refuse to let us take it on board or not. Basically its the gate staff that have the ok. So we lugged it through the airport, which was fun as we also had DS, a pram and regular hand luggage.

Then at the gate they checked the sticker on the seat against their book, basically they don't care about make/model, just the Australian Safety Standards sticker. Also the seat needs to be in good working order, no frayed straps, working buckles etc.

Ok we thought now they are going to take it on board, NO.. we had to then hang on to it. They explained that a strap, which connected to a bolt would be behind the seat and that we would then need to install it ourselves, QANTAS accept no liability or responsibility for the installation!

The flight itself was great as DS, 6months at the time was able to sleep in a semiupright position (he has severe reflux), we had him forward facing as he was 10kg by that stage.  The seat was a Safe & Sound one that I borrowed from my mum as we have the S&S Platinum and its way too wide for the seat.

Words of advice, constantly recheck your seat allocations. There are only a few seats that have a bolt to attach the carseat, QF kept changing our seating and lucky we were on top of it and constantly reconfirming and changing back. In Hawaii coming home it was a complete nightmare as they said that they couldn't give us the required seats even though we had reconfirmed several times. Eventually we sorted it by contact the Qantas Airport Manager.

Oh and its so much fun carrying a carseat throught US customs, especially when the lines are huge. We ended up carrying DS and putting the carseat in the pram.

Despite all this I would definitely do it again. Just wish it was a bit easier and that QF staff were more familiar with the procedures.

Cheers
Angela

Angela 37
DH 37
Evan born 25 May 2004 @36wks

#6 andieinvic

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:20 PM

Where are you going?  We flew to London with Qantas.  Qantas flights sometimes use BA aircraft, which have car seat type seats available which sit on the platform which folds out from the bulkhead (for smaller babies they use the skycots).  They were great, our little one (at 13 months) slept and played quite happily in it.  Was like pulling teeth getting any information out of them though, you'd really think the airline would have a dedicated parents support line who actually knew something about what they offer (Grrrr).  PS this was around a year ago so am only presuming they still offer these seats..

Andie
DD Ashleigh 28.08.02
DD Alana 19.05.04

#7 Amysha

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:26 PM

I saw on the BA web site a few years ago about their new baby capsules. They looked FANTSTIC. I wish all aircraft were fitted with them or at the very least had their own carseats available on all flights. The current system for travelling overseas or interstate with babies is dreadful and although injuries caused by turbulance or other mishaps is not common it does happen and the injuries received to little ones can be terrible and even fatal. Those lap belts are useless imo and I really doubt they would do anything. The one we used didn't even stay done up, it just kept slipping out of the clasp.
Michelle

#8 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:25 AM

We had already provided Q with the information re the car seat, but apparently that doesn't matter, they have to physically sight the airline approval code!!!  I think it depends who is working the gates that day what they say to you - nobody questioned whether ours was ASA or not (which it's not, since we live in the US)

We were not restricted to special seats, BTW, we fastened our car seat with the seat belt in a regular seat (same way it's fastened in our car).

#9 tubbyguts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the replies! It has helped and is preparing me for the worst with Q. Already it seems when I am talking to them on the phone, a lot of them don't know anything and keep passing it to someone else which is frustrating.

We will be flying to the US, which is a pretty long flight, so I do hope we can take the seat. I have the Go safe car seat, but I am a bit worried that it will not fit. It measures about 45cm, and that was the narrowest I could find at Babyco. I can still return it, does anyone know of any narrower seats?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.