starting reflux baby on solids

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2littlebrowns

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

Hi Everyone

I hope you and your precious little ones are all doing well. I was hoping you girls may be able to give me some advice.
  My little boy Harrison is 5 months old and has reflux to the extent that he was hospitalized at 6 days old becasue he has several apneaos, he is now on losec daily and thriving and finally after months of not sleeping to our surprise sleepinh ( thank God)

My question is when did you start solids and are there any problems that i should look out for. I have been thinking about starting solids as he is screaming when ever we have food in our hands and he will carry on untill you give him a taste. I am so unsure as what to do will this affect his reflux. He goes back to the pead in late january when he is going to have another barium swallow.

Any experiances or tips would be very much appreciated.

#2 red_squirrel

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:21 AM

Hi there,
I've just started my 5 month old reflux baby on solids on recommendation of his gastro and pead. At the moment he is on rice cereal only.

Has your pead spoken to you about introducing solids yet? In some cases the doctors recommend an early start, in others they don't depending on the nature of the reflux. Sometimes it helps the reflux other times it makes it worse.
However eventually you have to do it anyhow as the child must eat. All I'm trying to say is be prepared for the possibility of the reflux getting worse when you do start solids.

If I were in your shoes and I couldn't hold him off any longer I'd start him on just rice cereal and keep him on that for as long as possible so you know what you are dealing with. Then add pear and/or pumkin (seperately). I wouldn't introduce anything else until speaking with the pead in your Jan appointment. Those 3 would easily tie him over until then.

The reason I wouldn't add anything other than those three foods is because a lot of reflux babies also have allergies. So introducing only one thing at a time in the right order will make it easier for you in the long run.

There is a fantastic sticky on starting solids at the top of the 'feeding your baby' section.

Adding solids to a reflux baby just makes things messier. I haven't found the rest of it to be any different to what it says in the feeding your baby sticky I mentioned above. The only thing I do different is instead of a new food every 3 days I wait at least a week. That's because with my DS it is difficult to spot if it is the food or the reflux giving him the discomfort.

Good luck with your decision. original.gif

#3 Donna.I

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

Solids can be introduced anywhere between 3 - 6 months of age. Start off with Rice mixed with formula or breastmilk , this makes a subtle mix which seems to do baby well. Mix to a liquidy mix, so is easy to swallow. If baby is swallowing the mix well, it means he/she is ready. If you find bubs is getting worse, then pull back for a week or so and try again.

When giving baby solids, keep away from a lot of the fruits, pears is the most alkaline, apples and other fruits tend to make the Reflux worse due to their higher acidity. Mix fruits with Rice cereal, this makes a nice meal for them. Try custards, anything milky is easier on the stomach.

Introduce three meals shortly after the first is introduced, a new meal each second day or so is OK. Then slowly increasing the quantity as baby is ready. Do bare in mind too much and baby will more than likely return it to you.

Some Reflux babies do well on vegetables, others it makes their reflux worse, so offer bland vegetables such as potatoes, kumara, pumpkin and carrot for a start then introducing other vegetables slowly into the mix. Some Reflux babies do not tolerate meats, others do well. Slowly over time make the solids thicker.

Give your child only one new food at a time. Be sure to wait three to five days before starting another one to determine if he has any reaction to a food, such as a rash, stomach pain, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Some babies do not tolerate thick or lumpy feeds and do balk on them, this is due to the swelling often present due to the damage the acids have caused. Keep to a thinner mix till a little longer.

The only way to know is through trial and error, to find which works best for your baby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.