Jan 02 Parents # 24

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 ejsmum

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hey everyone, so nice to catch up on the odd snippets of news here and there  original.gif .  We are all well, living in Blackwater, Central Qld now (how bloody hot is it here?!  blink.gif ).  Xander tolerates Prep  blush.gif .  He gets a little frustrated now and then, but all in all is popular and social.  He just loves PE!  tongue.gif  His reading is getting better all the time, and his teacher assessed him a few months ago as having a reading and comprehension age of 7 years 4 months.  He started to read earlier this year.  Despite that, she won't give him home readers because 'the curriculum is play-based and only pre-reading is part of the curriculum'  huh.gif .  Yep, OK then  rolleyes.gif .  His maths is even better, but I daren't tell her that  blush.gif .  On the flip side he learnt his first swear word courtesy of school and now says sh*t at random when he is angry.  We try not to laugh  tongue.gif .  

Me, I am back at work in school hours only, 4 days a week, and don't work school holidays.  I am a contract engineer at one of the mines (the same one DH is at wink.gif).  So far the work is OK, but at times has been a very steep learning curve! LOL  So weird working with men who are 10 years younger than me (my boss is! LOL).

So what has everyone else been up to?  Hope you are all well.  I loved the photos of Peter with Brum! The look on his face is priceless  biggrin.gif .  Col, I hope  Riley is OK.  Snuggles to him  wub.gif .

#52 ~Col~

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

LOL Sophie!!

Cherise - Riley came home the other day and said "holy sh!t"...I was like oomg.gif where'd you learn that one????

I can understand your frustration with the cirriculum. Riley has taken it upon himself to alter his "worksheets" and take them further than he's "supposed" to. However, his teacher isn't stopping him from doing it, in fact he's encouranging it so that's good. I'm just hoping that he's not going to get bored next year.  unsure.gif

It's been hot here in Brissie the last few weeks so I shudder to think how hot it is in Blackwater!!  ohmy.gif

Not much happening around here really. Riley is ready for the training wheels to be taken off his bike but he won't let us do it, he says "not until I'm 6 Mummy". So he's in for a shock on his 6th birthday...hehehe!!  dev (6).gif

He's doing really well at swimming and is now over his fear of backyard swimming pools which is great!! He's learning his freestyle and breathing which he's doing well at and a little bit of backstroke thrown in at the end of the lesson.

Oh, and we finally have him nighttime TT!!  blush.gif  blush.gif  Yes I know he's a bit slow there (he's been daytime for 2 years) but he always refused to give up his water sippy cup at night so would drink way to much and end up weeing. But now the cups gone and we limit his intake and he's doing great!! Oh and the bribe of a new Thomas set probably helped!! Hehehe!!

Hmmm...what else...he's still obsessed with TTTE and gets a bit miffed now when his little brother gets given Thomas stuff. It was inevitable that Bailey would also be a TTTE fanatic, seeing as he has been playing with Riley's trains since he could start crawling to where they were stashed.  dev (6).gif  laughing2.gif

Okay, can't think of anything else to ramble about so I might head off and get a few things done before bed.

Chat later!!

#53 ~Sophie~

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:32 PM

Well we are back on Oz now.  Came home early due to a death in the family sad.gif .

Peter loved shcool in the UK and I liked it too, great teachers, great Principle and fantastic registrar.  But he is back at his old school now and still doing really well.  He has a new confidence about him that he gained from being away.

He goes swimming lessons twice a week as he missed a lot in the UK, even though they did lessons once a week at school, most of that was play  tongue.gif  .  He too is learning the overarm and breathing.

Next week at Pre Primary they start to behave like Grade ones.  They have their own fruit at recess (not shared), take a book home to read ( we were doing this in the UK) and being more independent in general.

Still not done any Christmas Shopping, we may be practical this year and buy the boys new beds.  Peter still has a queen size (!) and Timmy is in the cot.

Peter will get a new bike on his birthday though, and maybe a joint bday present for the boys - a sand pit.

DH goes away to the UK on Friday for 4 weeks  cry1.gif   cry1.gif , he needs to sell all our furniture and car.  We are still paying rent there too, lease expires in 2 weeks.

Peter does not swear but Timmy does.  Mummy taught him to say Bugger!  LOL.

Anyway, addicted to Scrabble on line, need to do a few games before bed, all the chores done!

Sophie

#54 ~Col~

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi Ladies

Wow, it's been a while!!

Just thought I'd pop in and say Hi!

Sophie - I know it's a bit late but I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family! hhugs.gif

Not much happening here. Riley loves Grade 1 and keeps asking to do his "homework". ROFL!! We can only hope that continues!!

Anyway, this was really just a post and run 'cause the younger two are playing up and I'd better see to it.

Hopefully I'll get in here more often to chat!

Take are Ladies!!

#55 ~Col~

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hi Ladies

Just bumping us up a bit. original.gif

I had Riley’s parent/teacher meeting yesterday afternoon and I was surprised. I expected him to be doing well but he has exceeded my expectations! Miss W gave her class a small “test” in both Maths and English, Riley was the only one in the class to get 100% in both. He breezed through his shapes and colours. When it came to his sight words, he got 61/100 which is far more than they expect that this point in the year (I think she said they expect approx 25/100 at this point). He is also doing extremely well with his writting and only needs to do added practice in using capitals at the beginning of a sentence. He is reading at level 4 when he in only expected to read at level 2.

Overall she was extremely happy with how he is going. He’s well behaved in class with only a few minor incidents. He is always polite.

Probably the only thing she wants to try and improve is his interaction in class. He won’t put his hand up to answer a question, even though he knows the answer, he prefers to sit back and let the more outgoing children answer.

All in all I’m happy!

Sorry for the brag, but I'm so happy about this! I guess I've always been worried about how the kids will go at school and even though Riley has always done well I still worry. LOL!!  rolleyes.gif  blush.gif

Hope everyone else is well!!

#56 ~Sophie~

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

Way to go Riley!  Keep making Mum proud.

Peter is doing well in Grade 1 aswell.  He is already doing an accelerated reading programme, we have our parent teacher meetings next week.  And all the other teachers come up and say "Are you Peters Mum?, he is such a lovly boy".

But he is so shy and prefers to be on his own.  And as much as he loves school he gets a "sore tummy" every morning so I am worried about him, have spoken to his wonderful teacher and we are keeping an eye on him.  He may be bullied a bit by one boy which needs to be sorted out if he is. This bully has already been to the principals office a number of times and not been allowed to excursions, he is nasty and his Mum does not care, grrrrrr to her.

Anyway thats about it, off to Melbourne in a weeks time so that should be very good for us all.

Soph

#57 katei

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hello everyone (well Col and Sophie!)!  great to hear how everyone is doing and how big our "babies" are now.

Ben is also loving school and reading - must be Jan02 bubs!  The teacher has said he is reading way above anyone else in the class but still hasn't given him suitable books to bring home (grrr) so we just choose our own at the library!  I'm enjoying the books he is reading!  He does swimming and gymnastics once a week and adores gymnastics - he is still skinny despite what he eats (DH was amazed what he ate for breakfast this morning) so is a good build for gym.  He is very outgoing still and loves to chat and learn about whatever he can.

James is 4.5 and at kindy.  He is heavier than Ben and almost as tall!  He loves school too and wants to learn to read like Ben!  He can sound out all the words but can't put them together yet.  

My baby Bridget is 3 next week - scary!  She is a dainty little fairy who loves anything girly.  She requested a fairy princess party so that is easier than the boys requests (and 6 girls is much easier than 20 kids for the boys too).  

We are going away for a week in the shool holidays which will be lovely - our first holiday without visiting family!  I think DH and I are more excited than the kids.  

On that note I'd better feed everyone.  

Take care,

Kate

#58 ~Col~

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

OMG Kate!! How fast have your kids grown up!! I can't believe that Bridget is 3 already!!

BTW...Happy Belated 3rd Birthday Bridget!!

I'm having the same problems with the home readers. They keep telling me that he's advanced etc but keep sending home books that he'll read in 2 seconds flat and gets no enjoyment from.  mad.gif Thankfully he usually picks 2 good books from the library each week and we've got a huge selection here at home for him too.  happy.gif

Isabella is a similar age to James and she's got no interest in learning anything. ROFL!!  rolleyes.gif  laughing2.gif  I'm freaking about whether she'll be ready for Prep next year but in a way I think that it might be the kick she needs. IYKWIM??

Soph - I hope that Peter isn't being bullied! rant.gif  Unfortunately we have a couple of bullies at our school as well and their Mums couldn't give a stuff. I've seen a boy walk up an punch a 4 year old girl in the mouth while his Mum was watching and she did nothing.  rant.gif  rant.gif

Sorry, didn't meant to take over your vent!  blush.gif

Anyway, I hope they sort it out quickly!

How was your trip to Melbourne? Did you have fun?

Us, not much happening here.

Riley was asked to lay the wreath at the ANZAC parade as his school. I was almost in tears watching it, even though it took all of 15 seconds to do. LOL!!

They had all the Mum's come in on the Friday before Mothers day and the kids all sang songs and made little crowns for us. A couple of the kids got up to read out poems to all the Mum's, Riley is one of them and again I nearly burst into tears. ROFL!! What is it with our kids having "proud" moments and us Mum's getting all teary. I'm NOT usually that type of person.  rolleyes.gif  tongue.gif  laughing2.gif

Teeth - Riley had now lost his four bottom teeth and four top teeth.  blink.gif The bottom ones fell out on their own but the top ones were given a little help by Bailey at Christmas time. LOL!! Knocked two out after a headbutt and the others came loose as well. He's got two growing down the bottom, taking up all the room and one coming through at the top. Looks like we'll have to visit the dentist to see what needs to be done.

Okay, I've rambled enough. Best get back into it.

Hope everyone is well!!

#59 ~Sophie~

Posted 29 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hey Col and who else reads this from our Jan 02 group.

Well Peter is no longer being bullied.  I found out the boy has ADD (or whatever its called), he must have changed med as he has been better lately.

But Peter did get a love note the other day and sent one back, LOL.

No lost teeth but the bottom 2 are wobbly.

Melbourne was good, at home now recovering from some surgery, ouchy ouchy ouchy.

GTG
Soph

#60 ~kylie~

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hello everyone!

I am glad to see this thread is still going (just!)

We're going well, can't believe how fast the children are growing. DD1 is doing really well in grade 1 and she's loving it.

Take care everyone
Kylie

#61 ~Col~

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hi Soph & Kylie (and everyone else waves.gif )

Hope you are doing well! Soph, hope you've recovered from your surgery!!

Not much happening here. Riley is going through a bit of a defiant stage but we're working through it. It's a battle of the wills some days, sometimes he wins, sometimes I do. ARGH!!

Other than that everything is going well. He's doing really well at school and loves his reading still which is great!!

Best keep going! Take care everyone!!

#62 ~Sophie~

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

All recovered thanks and a lovely 30cm scar down the side of my face!  Will fade.

Kids doing well, Peter finally lost his first tooth yesterday and another today.  He is doing well at school and has started a few sports.

DH away in the UK again soon and will miss Fathers Day sad.gif.  Will have a nice party for him when he comes home.

Seeya
Soph

#63 GothicVamp

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hey!!!

How are you all???

#64 carrie&josh

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hello Everyone!!!

Long time no speak! I have not been on EB for ages!!!!

Josh is 7 now and in Year 2.

Halle is 21mnths

I am due 28/4/09 with No. 3!

I eloped in September last year in Fiji

Think thats me up to date!!! The short version anyways!!

Hope everyone is well!

Carrie

#65 MrsHuxy09

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Hey Caz!!!

Im Fiona, Back with a new name, lol. I lost all my log in details, so had to sign up again!

Me in a nutshell also-

Divorced ex husband, due to him cheating, Im getting married on August 1st to my high school boyfriend, and are having our suprise baby in November!!!

We are also building our house so that will be ready in about 12 weeks, so busy times ahead!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.