Jump to content

Unexpected arrival at 36 weeks

  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wifey101

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:03 AM

Well where do I begin....
On the morning of Wednesday 27th September I woke up feeling not that great. I was 36 weeks pregnant and I decided I would call in sick to work. I was planning to finish work on the Friday, and relax for a few weeks, watching video's, packing my bag for hospital, and preparing dinner's to freeze.

I called my Mum and told her I was having the day off work, and she decided to come over and help me wash nappies, and babies clothes.

About 1:00pm I was folding bonds suits, when I felt what I thought was urine, on the front of my pants. I quietly went into the toilet ( thinking I had poor bladder control) and sat perplexed thinking, wow this happended last night too?

I came out of the bathroom, with undies in hand, and said to Mum, " I just wet myself... but I didn't.... and this happened last night too, before I went to bed." Mum said, " Are you sure it's not your waters?" I panicked, I hadn't even thought of that... I mean I had 24 sleeps to go til my EDD, and so many things to do... I was picking up a new car the following day, I still had plently of sleep ins left, and video's to watch.

Mum asked me if my undies smelt like urine? I had a sniff, then gave Mum and sniff, then I had a sniff, then Mum had a sniff, and then we both cracked up laughing. Had anyone been watching our undie sniffing competition... it would have looked a treat. I couldn't be sure what it smelt like, Mum thought it was like bleach.... OMG this could be it!!

So I contacted the hospital. I spoke to a lovely midwife who advised me to put a pad on and lay down for an hour. Then she would call me back. I watched Oprah, and my mind was racing... The midwife called back and told me to come in to the hospital. I don't know whether I was in denial... but I called my husband and told him what had happened. I told him not to worry, that it was probably just a bit of excess fluid leaking out, and I would see him when he got home from work. Mum asked if I wanted to take a bag with me. I refused, however quickly packed a bag and left it in the babies room, telling Mum, " For when I actually need it" (PACK YOUR BAGS EARLY PEOPLE!!!)

So I arrived at the hospital. I had packed my undies in a glad bag.... just incase anyone else wanted to have a sniff, and presented them to the midwife I spoke to on the phone. She told me she would, " have a quick look" and if everything was OK she would send me home.

I got on the bed, and had my first internal ever... (WOW they are not gentle) I was laying therte thinking of what we would have for dinner, when she said, " Oh your baby has alot of hair, do suffer from heartburn?" WTF I thought...you can see my babies head. I looked at Mum, who had a big smile on her face, and I panicked. The midwife said, " You're not going anywhere, you'll have this baby in the next 24 hours." My membranes had ruptured..... but no contractions yet.

So I rang my husband to get the "bag", and come to the hospital. I was admitted in what seemed like a blur, and next thing someone was asking if I wanted the TV connected!! UM... Yes?... Do you have video's???

So Wednesday night, I laid in bed, all alone in a big room, knowing that if nothing happened naturally they would induce me... I mean doesn't the baby need the membranes???

On Thursday morning I walked, jumped, danced and laughed, trying to get a contraction of some description... Nothing. I felt like a fraud in the Maternity ward... everyone else had babies... outside their bodies!!! At lunchtime, they told me that they would induce me in the afternoon. I was psyching myself up for the labour and really trying to get my head around birth.
This wasn't in my plan.... I was going to have a nice relaxing labour at home, light some candles, have a bath... and then promtly arrive at hospital to deliver my baby, then having a shower, blow dry my har, and greet my vistors!! I HAD NO IDEA. HOW WE DREAM!!

At 5:30pm they told me that I would not be induced today, as they had a influx of arrivals, to the birthing ward. There was no room at the Inn. I would have to wait until tomorrow.

At 7:00am the following day, I was told they were ready for me... I panicked calling my husband telling him to hurry to the hospital, as it might happen without him. ( Yeah right)

I was monitered for half an hour, and I was showing that i was having contractions... but I couldn't feel them. My MIL who was also there, said, " Maybe you won't get contractions." ( Oh please let it be so) I was given the syntocin (sp?) drip, and it was rapidly increased every half an hour... but still nothing.

They had increased the drip to almost the top level... but still nothing. All it made me do was vomit! So it was decided that I would have another internal... GREAT!
The midwife said she had found a small amount of membrane still intact.. and would get a a glove with a pin thing on it, and she if she could get to it... OUCH. Well she found it and a small amount of fluid came away. So the monitor went back on. The contractions were there, but I wasn't feeling them.... YET.

I stood up and walked to the toilet... to vomit again. And then it hit me. OMG. I had gone from nothing to full on labour, in a matter of seconds. The contractions were coming hard and fast. I was having a contraction every 50 secs, and it was lasting for 75 seconds. After 3 hours of this I called for a epuidural.

Internal examination again. I was only 1cm dialted. The same as I had been on the Wednesday when I came to hospital. During the examination it was discovered that the babies head was still floating, and could not get down into my pelvis, and engage. The doctor came and spoke to me about a Csection. I told her I would keep going for a while with the epidural and see how things progressed....

Epidural in no problems. What a relief!!

The contractions continued, although I couldn't feel them. I slept for a while, and a few hours later another internal.... Still 1 cm dialted. The baby was starting to get distressed, and the doctor came in and delievered the C section news I had been dreading. Time check 8:45pm

Epidural topped up, forms signed, and I was in theatre. My husband emerged from getting changed and looked like he belonged on the set of ER. (What a spunk) I was petrified, but excited, and couldn't wait to finally meet our baby.

At 9:40pm after much tugging and pushing, Ty was born!! 3145g and 48cm long. The most beautiful baby I have ever seen!! He was perfect, and a mini version of my husband.

My husband and Ty left theatre, and I began the longest hour and a half of my life. I was stiched and then sent to recovery... boring. I wanted to see my baby and hold him!! My husband came down to recovery to see me, but I told him to go back with Ty. I waited watching the clock tick over... waiting to be brought back to the ward. Finally they took me back to the ward, and I held my son!!

My parents and In-laws were there, but my husband had told them theat noone was to hold Ty until I had.(He's the best. Something we had not discussed, or anticipated) And so, I was still the first to hold my beautiful angel and kiss him a thousand times.

With the delay he was born right on 36 weeeks and 6 days.

My husband picked up my new car, but I couldn't drive it for 3 weeks!!

Edited by Ty's Mummy, 17 May 2006 - 07:44 AM.

#2 ~mimo~

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:37 AM

What a lovely story! Congrats on the birth of Ty!

(And you have convinced me to pack my bag this week!!!)

Thanks for sharing!

#3 kidwrangler

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:42 AM

Congratulations on the surprise arrival of Ty!!! biggrin.gif

I understand the torture of being left alone without bub - what a wonderful DH too, it was very thoughtful to make sure you had first cuddle.

Thanks for the story,


Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hey GREAT story!  Congrats on the birth of your beautiful son!  LOL at the undi sniffing - I have applied to UNI for Nursing this year, I want to become a Midwife, I'll have to remember your story about what to do if you THINK your waters have broken (sniff sniff  blush.gif ) - I've never heard that before.
And hugs to your DH for being SOOOO thoughtful re not letting anyone hold Ty before you - what a great guy!
All the best for a long, happy & healthy life with your DH & son (& any future babes!)

#5 mum to 4 sometimes 5

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

i too had a surprise arrival, my eldest son arrived at 34 weeks and my waters broke at a visit to my local shopping centre.

#6 wifey101

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

Oh Mel... in a shopping centre!!
Thanks for all your reply's. It wasn't my ideal birth, but the end result is wonderful!
Ty is such and funny boy now his personality is shining through. I never thought I could love something sooo much!

#7 *Jen*

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:07 PM

Congrats to you and welcome little man.

What a sweet thoughtful hubby you have. I thought oh oh when i read you were in recovery and the inlaws and your parents were there thinking that they were enjoying bub while you were being stitched up. Was so happy to read you got first cuddle and hold.

Hang on to that man of yours original.gif Well both your men now,
Enjoy original.gif

#8 *Courtney'sMum*

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:23 PM

Ty's mummy -

Wow what a funny story - gosh i too thought it would be all roses and easy - and me too would have child - be back in room in an hour with hair and makeup all done and visitors - oh how wrong us first time mummys are original.gif

enjoy you baby  and love the story

#9 MrsR

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

That was a great birth story. Still chuckling away to myself! Good job on DH's behalf. I have discussed this with mine, but I am impressed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Top 5 Viewed Articles

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.