Feb 06 Parents # 1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#26 livnik

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

Hi ladies.

Feeling very sore today, the midwife came up and said it may be a kidney infection and to watch my temperature. I am a bit worried as I run out of Panadiene Forte today lol

Liam is doin well, he has gained only 20g since Monday which isn't a lot but hey it's something.
I gave him his first bath at home today and he pretty much slept through it, but he hates being changed and screams the place down.

feeding Liam is feeding pretty much whenever he is awake, I have been trying to feed him every 3-4 hours but that doesn't seem to work.

Clothes I never really gained alot of weight so I still fit into most of my clothes up to the day I had Liam. The midwife said today that my tummy has gone down alot since she saw me last, so that's a good thing.

Poo's Karen, ditto what you said. He poo's all the time and they are all yellow.

Karen Yeah the mothercarer is great, any questions I have she has the answers too. I don't like her having to do the housework, but it's getting to the point were there is not much else to do. She is taking DD2 out again tomorrow.

Dena BF is prolly easiest at night for me. I was having a lot of trouble wuth my left boob so the midwife gave me a nipple shield and it is so much better and I also changed the position I was holding liam too.

Jess well done on the milestones, we should start a milestone of the week thing in here lol

Okay will leave it there

2 posts in one week, not bad for me!!!!

Take care

#27 LiLMinx

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

I have a question for you ladies.

What is your night time routine?

Keira seems to wake at 5.30 - 6, I then have to feed her in order for her to enjoy her bath otherwise she just screams her head off the whole time she is in there. That takes me to 6.10 then we have a bath, then another feed and its 6.30.  What now??  She is never settled ... If I am lucky 2 Crying hrs later I can put her down to sleep *fingers crossed* .... Dh and I just havent mastered this time frame yet.

Any help would be appreciated...

Dena

#28 JessieW

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

Hi Dena, perhaps your baby is experiencing what they call 'the witching hour' where babies cry for no reason at the end of the afternoon. If Frances has been awake for an hour and a half to two hours Max (this includes feeding and bath or activity) then I know she's definately tired and ready to wind down to sleep. The other thing I would be careful of is not to overstimulate when they're tired - by jiggling, over rocking etc.

And I would feed before the bath as you say, then they can relax and enjoy themselves.

Perhaps the other 2nd time mums can shed some more light on this. I made the big mistake last night of keeping Frances up to 7.30pm thinking she would sleep longer through the night. The poor thing was so over tired that she cried for 2 hours. And the midwife today told me 'the more a baby sleeps, the more they want to sleep'. Although, the 'Baby Whisperer' book says try not to let a baby sleep for more than 3 hours during the day as their night time sleep will be disturbed.

You can probably tell I'm still finding my way with this also!

Tonight I think I got it right...woke her at 4.30pm, fed to 5 ish then cuddled and hung out together until 5.30 then bath, a quick top up feed then down to sleep at 6.30pm. She was definately ready to go down then. I'm expecting her to rouse at around 9.30 for another feed.

BTW, I too have her in a bassinet next to my bed. And I BF in bed during the night. The only trouble I have is lifting her up..I still have some pain from the C-section and I have a dodgy lower back, I wish a had a crane!

Suzy - I thought I was developing mastitis as well, I put a warm hot water bottle on the boob just before feeding and it drained really well. Avoid hot water from the shower as this over stimulates them. The warm water bottle is supposed to be like the warmth of the baby's mouth...but yes if it gets worse, don't leave it...

J X

#29 ~TCBF~

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

Definitely sounds like witching hour to me Dena.. Its a killer sometimes and there isnt a whole lot you can do about it.

Our night time routine consists of..

1600 - Feed
1700 - Nap
1800 - Feed
1830 - Bath
1900 - Feed

The three feeds in quick succession is called "cluster feeding" and its supposed to help fill them up for the big night time sleep. At the moment though, we are having witching hour from 1900 each night until the 2200 feed.. Then he thankfully goes down for the night and wakes once during it for another one.

During witching hour, a walk in the pram, carrying them in the sling, an electric swing or a drive in the car can help but sometimes even these things wont stop the crying.

Just try to remain sane and remember that its all normal.

Good luck!

PS Thanks for the advice re my left boob everyone original.gif It seems to be feeling a whole lot better now so I guess its not mastitis.. What a drama queen I am!!

Take care xxx

#30 JessieW

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

Welcome Jen!

On the routine question...I don't think it's about getting a routine established from day one, but I think it's good to start to think about promoting some regularity now and try to encourage it little bit by little bit - really for the purposes of promoting comfort and confidence in the baby - but certainly not at the expense of meeting baby's needs (like not feeding because it's out of schedule!) For example, I'm trying to get a reguar evening routine going, not so much doing it at the 'right time' but about following the same steps to sleepytime, Feed, Bath, Book, top up feed, then bed or something like that. Also, trying to encourage day vs night, by doing no activity or talking at night time, and when she day sleeps I have her in the lounge rrom with me...eventually by three months I hope to have a bit of a 3 hour routine going, of feed, playtime then sleep..all three occuring in a 3 hour period.

Suzy - thanks for the reminder about cluster feeding in the evenings too...

Anyhoo - I feel like I'm hogging this thread, I think I've become obsessed with baby behaviours and routines!

J XX

#31 ~TCBF~

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:12 AM

Jen, dont worry about not having a routine.. You have just made the biggest adjustment of your life (becoming a Mum) and that takes some time to get used to.

Believe me, with my first, we were definitely not this organised. It was all I could do for the first 4 months to get myself showered and fed each day. The baby had total control over the house and it took me ages to be able to get control back.

With the second, ive found it much easier to establish a routine because if we didnt then chaos would reign. With a very young and demanding toddler living here as well, the baby has simply had to slot in for the sake of all our sanity.

If you are worried about establishing a routine (and this is advice ive given in another thread too..) then start with something really simple like a bath at a certain time each night or giving the first day time feed at the same time each day no matter how close it is to the last night time feed.. So if you fed the baby at 0500, make yourself wake up and give them the next one at 0700, so you are starting your day at the same time every day. Believe me, doing something little like this makes a huge difference, and the routine will sort itself out from there.

Babies DO thrive on routine as my second born has shown me. He is sleeping for 6 hours straight over night and having his witching hour at a normal time where my DH and I are both equipped to deal with it.. Nothing worse than a baby that has its day and night totally mixed up and wants to cry incessantly at 0200.. Believe me, been there and done that and it nearly sent me mental. Having a routine also helps with feeding.. If you keep offering the breast every time the baby is unsettled, you are setting yourself up for a snacking baby who wants to eat often and not take a whole feed... This is an easy trap to fall into so just keep an eye on youself and make sure that at each feed your baby takes 15 - 20 minute PER SIDE.

Jessie, dont feel like your hogging the thread, its natural to want to share information when you have the answers to peoples questions and im sure the people asking them dont mind getting the responses.. I know when I had my first that EB was an absolute life saver when I needed help with the difficult task of being a Mum and the more responses I got to my questions, the more help it was to me. In fact, I couldnt believe how helpful people were at times, it blew me away the amount of trouble people went to to answer my questions.. Im sure I speak for everyone else when I say that you are more than welcome to share your information, so dont make youself hold back.

Ok, this is the biggest post in the history of this parents group so ill leave it there original.gif

Take care girls, dont let those babies get the better of you!!xxx

#32 LiLMinx

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

Well my little princess of darkness blew me away last night and slept for 5 hours!  Aaaaaah it was wonderful shame she had to be awake for 2.5hrs after that though  wacko.gif

Be back later to do some personal posts  biggrin.gif

Dena

#33 JessieW

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

Dena - Im jealous!

Jen - Good question on whether to wake a sleeping baby...I have no idea....I'll leave it upto the others to answer!

J

#34 LiLMinx

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

Jen - I was told exactly the same as you and that is what I have been doing, only  occasionally will DD have both breasts during 1 feeding session and that has been like twice in 2wks.  As far as waking a sleeping baby, I for a start enjoy the silence... I do everything around my DD like tonite she didn't wake till 7.30 so we didn't have a bath till 8.  But everyday for me so far has been different and a learning experience... Why don't they come with manuals!!  <_<

Dena

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.