Anyone homebirthed 'accidentally'?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Leesa~_*

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if there is anyone here who intended on birthing in a hospital or birth centre and ended up birthing at home?  What factors meant that a hospital/BC birth became impossible?  Sorry for all the questions, I'll explain why I'm asking.  I have suffered on and off with both depression and anxiety for many years.  More and more frequently I have been having anxiety attacks when thinking about or actually being in the hospital for ANC appts.  Unfortunately there is only one public hospital in town so I don't have a choice of changing.  I'm starting to worry that when the time comes to go to the hospital that I'll have another attack and not be able to make it.

Hope this makes sense.  Thanks to anyone who answers.

Leesa

#2 ~kylie~

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

I haven't birthed at home accidentally, but I have a friend that chose to have her baby at home with no DR/midwife.

#3 chant

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:44 PM

I have a friend who had her baby at home accidentally, as the baby came so fast. Her support doula was a midwife though, and they had an ambulance team come to the house.

Have you considered having a birth support doula/ independent midwife with you for the birth? Usually she will be with at your house and then come with to the hospital. Having a midwife with you at home could set your mind at ease, aside from all the other wonderful support she would provide. Having the continuity of her care will help you feel emotionally safe too while you are birthing.

As Kylie mentioned a while ago in a previous thread, ind. midwives' costs are now covered by one of the private health insurance companies (if you have private insurance).

Cheryl

#4 obee

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

hello
my home hvbac was not really planned the insurance didnt covered me but i hope all along that i would birth at home
by the time our midwife come i was 9cms then we had to pack the hospital bag then i was pushing so we had to stay home
the whole birth took 4hours 32minutes
good luck with the birth
sandra

#5 alyssa

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

I birthed in the car on the way to hospital by accident (about 5 minutes from home), mainly cause the labour happened so fast.  I think that this will make me nervous in the future, and I might consider a home birth rather than go to a hospital.
What makes you so anxious about the hospital.

#6 smoe

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

I know a lady who's hubby had to deliver their 2nd son at home with the ambo's on loud speaker, Her labour and birth was 10 mins, and that beat my 13 min labour and birth !!

I was in the waiting room in the labour ward when my labour started, I was witing to be induced, but I think my nerves started it for me..

Had I been at home or in the car, Amara would have been delivered by my DH for sure !

#7 Guest_~Leesa~_*

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied.  I really appreciate you all sharing your stories or that of friends.

Hopefully all will go well and I will be able to make myself go to the hospital in time.

Thanks again,

Leesa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.