Hoping for a HBAC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rach28

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hi there
I am hoping to TTC in about 6 months and it is the plan to try for a homebirth after a very difficult obstructed labour and emergency C/S 2 years ago.
Any advice about MENTALLY preparing for VBAC after the stress and deflation of C/S? Physically I am trying to get fit and healthy but would like to know how to ensure I am strong in my head and heart especially if I am trying to do it at home second time round?
Rachel
Mama to DS almost 2

#2 cesca

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

Mentally?  I would read as many POSITIVE natural birth stories you can find, especially positive VBAC stories.  You have to believe in your heart that you can do it, that it is do-able.

With me, I also mentally prepared for birth both times by visualisation.  Each night before I went to sleep I'd spend 5 minutes going over how I wanted the birth to go, in my head.  I'd do it over and over and over... and each night it went well and I gave birth without problems.  Eventually the day came and my births went well without problems.  I really believe that part of this was because my mind had "practised" so often that it knew what to do!  And it was uncanny how similar my births were to my visualisations.

The best of luck to you!

#3 Midwitch

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:20 AM

I would also suggest buying a copy of Active Birth by Janet Balaskas - she also has a website that would be worth visiting.  Her book is awesome and full of great info, most importantly the exercises to help position the fetus optimally for an efficient labour and to limber up the mother ready for an active labour and natural birth. I found the book absolutely INVALUABLE and used it from my second onwards...I often wonder if I had used it for my first if I might have had a better labour.

Good luck!

#4 ~kylie~

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:50 AM

I have no advice, but I just wanted to wish you good luck!

#5 obee

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:48 AM

hello rach28
i had a hbac in 2002 it was the best thing i have ever done
we transfered to hospital after the birth ( all of my bubs got abo incompatable jundice 5-7 days under lights)
the whole labour was 4hrs 32min my first bith was a planned c/s for breech baby
belive in your self and your boby
and surround your self in loved ones who really understand what you want
please feel free to pm me
good luck
sandra 24
dh 25
ds#1 5 c/s
ds# 2 3.5 hbac
dd 1.5 induced vbac

#6 babalon

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi Rach,
have you checked out birthrites? They have lots of good positive resources there. I am not a hbac, just a first time hb, but I only realised that homebirth was a real possiblility here after reading a birthrites magazine lent to me by a friend who was preparing for a vbac. It seems like if you want a vbac homebirth is a really good way to go.

B.

#7 YummyMummy of 2

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:09 PM

Hi Rach

i haven't had a HBAC, just a regular homebirth - but i agree with Obee & Casta - believe in yourself and your ability to do this - it's what women were designed to do. focus on positive stories and ignore negative people.
I also found visualation really good - I saw a beautiful Anne Geddes picture of a soft pink rosebud opening up to reveal a baby inside. this was my "birth picture" and this is what i focused on during labour - soft and beautiful opening up for my baby.

best of luck - you can do this!

#8 JicyJac

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:26 PM

There is a book call "Birthing from within" by Pam England and Rob Horowitz (a husband and wife, midwife and pscycologist team) which is all about emotional and mental preparation for birth, and has all sorts of exercises for working out where your fear comes from then working through it.  It also covers some "self hypnosis" type techniques to practice for coping with pain etc.

The writer Pam had an emergency c-section for her first birth, then a natural second birth - and has put what she learnt through her journey into a birth preparation program and the book.

I read this book before my first birth and found it helpful.

Jac

#9 michele3071

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

Hi Rachel
I am also hoping for a HBAC, in around 4 weeks time!  I have started to listen to a CD which is self hypnosis for a VBAC, by Maggie Howell, website below or through the CARES website.  So far I have fallen asleep every time  biggrin.gif , but am waking up in a very positive mood, so it must be going in!  And I try to only read positive birth stories.. I'll let you know how it goes!  Good luck.
www.natalhypnotherapy.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.