Did you have the glucose tollerance test?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ~kylie~

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

Just wondering who had the GTT when pregnant?

What was your reason for your decision?

#2 sebela

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

With my first pregnancy I agreed to have a random glucose and dicuss further testing if it was worrying (it wasn't). With this pregnancy I am taking drugs that would put me at risk of diabetes even if I wasn't pregnant so there is genuine reason to be cautious; However, I still think it is ridiculous to do something you know is bad for you in order to find out if you react poorly. The sweetest thing in my diet is the few pieces of fruit I eat a day, I wouldn't eat a mars bar or drink a bottle of coke and I don't intend to drink a cup of sugar water either. I need to be tested at 20 and 28 weeks but I will be insisiting on the standard fasting glucose test that is used to detect diabetes normally.

I recommend reading Henci Goer's articles on GD if you are struggling to make up your mind. Just google "Henci Goer Diabetes".

#3 Midwitch

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:59 AM

I am a bit of a bolshy patient apparently. I dont have scans and I dont have tests other than the antenatal bloods - and even then I only agree to have my booking bloods and then again at 36 weeks. Just cant see the point of the 28 week ones.

I just prefer to do my own thing, take good care of myself and not be interfered with unless necessary.

#4 JicyJac

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

I didn't have the GTT, last time and won't this time either.

I decided based on the 'Risk' factors my midwife told me - over 30, overweight, rapid weight gain, family history of GD, certain ethnic backgrounds etc (don't tke my word for these - do some proper investigations) none of these factors apply to me (except over 30 this time - but only just).

I am also sooooo hungry when pregnant (and still breastfeeding this time so extra hungry) I can't face the idea of fasting in preparation for the test.

Good luck with making your decision.
Jac

#5 ~kylie~

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for your replies! I will definitely look up Henci Goer. I had the test with my previous 2 pregnancies (Never had to fast though?)

Midwitch - Just curious, is it standard to have blood taken at 28 and 36 weeks? I haven't had that my last 2 pregnancies so not sure if it's a new thing or not. I like to know things in advance before my GP will spring it on me!

Thanks again. original.gif

#6 Guest_Ameliabarrett_*

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

I had the glucose tolerence test, even though I had no risk factors - my OB does them routinely for all patients. There is some confusion, as there are two tests available. With the Glucose Challenge test, you don't have to fast, just take the sugar drink and measure glucose 2 hrs later. The Glucose Tolerence test is where you have to fast for 12 hours. The reason my OB does GTs on all patients is because if you have the glucose challenge, and get a high result, then you have to do the GT anyway.
It was horrible - cause I was still having morning sickness, so I had not had any brekkie, then had to sit for 2 hours and try not to vomit this sweet cordial drink (apparently if you vomit, you have to do it all over again!) Thankfully, all came back normal!

#7 Midwitch

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

Hi Kylie,

yes, in NZ its standard to do bloods at 12, 28 and 36 weeks. Mainly because 28 is a good time to do GTT or polycose (and still have time to do something about a positive result), and to diagnose anaemia and rectify it.

#8 ~kylie~

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:51 PM

Thank you for all your replies, they've been very helpful!

#9 cesca

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:12 PM

No, never had Glucose tests at all - I assume my midwife would have advised me to have them if she thought they were necessary.  She was a very low intervention midwife, which I liked.

Blood tests?  I think I had maybe one or two for each pregnancy.  And I'm in NZ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.