Feb 06 Parents # 2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#26 ~TCBF~

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

Oh you poor girl Moneo... Dont cry about it, you are giving Ivy the best start you can and some breast milk is better than none.

Thanks for the link Jessie, I too found it very interesting even if im not sticking to all the "rules".. Gosh its tough isnt it?

I dont think anyone should read it and feel badly afterwards.. There is nothing wrong with formula feeding and so long as Mum and baby are happy then that is all that really matters!!! And that is the truth!!! Moneo, if your baby needs supplementing then by all means do it.. Noone wants to see their baby go hungry and tonnes of babies thrive on formula.. If shes not having very many wet nappies and is unsettled then there is a good chance that she is hungry and might need a comp feed with the bottle.

Have you rung the ABA about whats going on?? Ive rung them in the past with DS#1 when I was having issues and they really are an amazing support and a huge help.. Dont be afraid ok?? Also, your ECHN can come over, or you can visit them and they can weigh Ivy and watch her progress and talk to you about your options.. Its not the end of the road yet, so please dont give up!!! Get help from these people if you are this worried.. It will make a huge difference.

Come here for support when you need it and please dont feel so stressed over this.. There is a solution for you one way or the other ok??

xxx

#27 Delbo

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

Oh Mon Honey don't give up.  Some breastmilk is better than none but in all honesty if you are exhausted and Ivy is hungry then do NOT feel guilty about topping up with formula.  You are of no use to Ivy if you are exhausted.  She needs you to be healthy for her. You NEED to do what is best for you and Ivy.  In an ideal world we would all be breastfeeding champions but for a lot of women that isn't possible.  I don't think formula fed babies are any less healthy than breasfed babies.  And it isn't your fault if breastfeeding doesn't work out for you.  Some women just can't breastfeed for some reason.  Don't let the breastfeeding nazi's get to you as you may well end up an absolute mess of exhaustion and guilt.  That isn't healthy for you or IVY.  So that is my 2 cents worth.  I just don't want to see you ending up in a heap over this.  hugs!!

BLEEDING - Mine comes on and off.  It has been much lighter than with my previous preg's but is draggin on a bit.  Some days there is hardly any and then the next day is is back full on.  So sick of wearing pads too.  Bloody uncomfortable especially if it is a hot day!!

ALCOHOL - Had a lovely ice cold glass of white wine the other day with donner.  Bliss.  So nice on a hot day.  But I'm not a big drinker anyway so not missing anything.

BABY POO - Emma poos in most nappies.  Looks like bright yellow seeded mustard.  At least it is easy to clean off.  lol.  

BABY WEE - Emma weed all over me at 5.30am this morning.  It shot out like a water pistol straight at my belly.  lol

JEN - I put Emma in her own room on day one as I am a light sleeper at it is amazing how much she grunts when she sleeps.  For my own sanity I needed some peace and quiet as I would have just layed there waiting for her to wake up for a feed.  Good luck and hope he is more settled for you with the air con on.

SUZY - Hope you DS is OK.  Bet your DH feels terrible.  But it is just an accident.  

MEEE - well Emma is being a little champion comapred to my other kids as babies.  She goes 3-4 hours between feeds and during the night goes straight back to sleep.  Her unsettled time is between 7.30pm-11.00pm which I can cope with.  I feel so sorry for those of you with all night criers.  I had this with DS #1.  At least I am in bed by midnight most nights.

QUESTION FOR THE DAY - Are you ladies putting your babies to bed awake?  With Emma sometimes she goes back to bed straight after a feed and other times she hads a bit of awake time.  I have been successful on a few occasions in putting her to bed awake and her falling asleep on her own, but other times she has started crying and I have to get her up and cuddle her on my chest til she falls asleep.  The reason I ask is that I ended up in sleep school with my other 2 kids as I breastfed them to sleep.  I am determined to not do that this time.  Just wondering what you other mums are doing.

Ok Emma is stirring.  MMM not due for a fed yet and I was hoping to get a shower in first.  Guess she isn't screaming so might have aquick shower first.

ETA - nope she is crying now so will have to stay smelly for awhile longer.  lol

Georgina  xx

#28 JessieW

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:19 AM

Oh sh*t Mon...I didn't even take that much notice of the BF link myself! I'm sorry if it triggered stuff for you in your current situation - I can see how it would. Please don't buy into that guilt stuff. Bugger that...you've got a gorgeous little girl and all she needs is a full belly of milk or formula - what ever works - and cuddles and a well cared for mum. I honestly think that pragmatism is the only way to go...'what ever works'.

and for all of us, lets remember that wonderful phrase..."Good Enough Parenting"

Good Enough Parenting
To the best of our knowledge, the concept of "good enough parenting" was first used by Winnicott.4 In doing so he was recognising that it is unhelpful and unrealistic to demand perfection of parents, and to do so undermines the efforts of the vast majority of parents who are in all practical respects "good enough" to meet their children's needs. Of course, society has already had to face up to the fact that some parents are "not good enough" by recognising the problem of child abuse and neglect and setting up structures to deal with it, and where appropriate, providing alternative parenting.

Components of Good Enough Parenting
We can define good enough parenting as a process that adequately meets the child's needs, according to prevailing cultural standards which can change from generation to generation. Of course all children need physical care, nutrition, and protection. Over and above these basics, the child's emotional needs can be regarded under the following three headings: (1) love, care, and commitment; (2) consistent limit setting; (3) the facilitation of development.

Anything above and beyong that is a bonus I reckon.

Bigs hugs to you Mon,

Jess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.