New lounge suite - fabric or leather???

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 SusanC

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hi there,

I'm hoping you can help solve an 'argument' we are having about a new lounge suite.  I've always wanted to get a new one in time for the new baby (2 months to go) and guessed it would be a nice fabric.  But DH is insisting we get leather!  

There is not much price difference if you shop around the sales, and he thinks it will be much easier to clean. But I'm not sure.  And won't the leather be a bit uncomfortable in cold winter and hot summer?  There seems to be more colour and options in fabric as well.

Any experience in this department much appreciated!!

SusanC

#2 Guest_DBear_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:36 PM

We have just bought a new sofa and it has micro fibre suede - these synthetic suedes are really hard wearing and anything we've dropped on it just wipes straight off.

I can really recommend it.

#3 snekii

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

do not get a fabric one i have a 4 seater and it is in a dark blue fabric .... and it gathers dust and i hate it and i have to vacum it all the time.

#4 idunno

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

It all depends on the quality of the fabric or leather.  My mum has a leather lounge which is nice, not at all hot/cold but they paid big $$$ for it.  The downside to it is that one chair is used regularly and is starting to crack along the edge (can be replaced, still under warranty).

Personally I like fabric lounges better, I think they look cosier, homier and more kid friendy.  A friend of mine just bought two new ones which are plain blue suede and I thought would stain something shocking BUT she got them scotchguarded and everything just wipes straight off them.  When we were there William wiped cheese and vegemite into them from his sandwich and she just wiped it off and then got a magic eraser (you can buy from any supermarket now) and wiped over it and it was gone!

Fabric lounges are IMO nicer but you have to pay that bit extra and get good quality fabric and with kids it's such a good idea to get them scotchguarded.

#5 2bundles

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

We have leather and it is great for marks etc.  Everything just wipes off.  I think Microsuade would be just as good, but I wouldn't get regular fabric.  Not vegemite friendly!!

#6 Starry's Mummy

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

My DH convinced me we should get a leather lounge and I am so glad I listened to him (for once!).  We got a burgundy colour and it is just so easy to look after.  When DD has brought up milk or drooled all over it, I am SOOOO glad I didn't get fabric - it just wipes off.

I actually wanted microsuede, but my brother has it and he is forever brushing it down with his hand 'cause the suede goes in all different directions when you sit on it and it looks kinda messy (if that makes sense).  I'd be doing the same all day if I had it (bit of OCD in our family  tongue.gif ).

Pamela
DH
M/C 1/8/04
DD Catalina 7/7/05

#7 mummummum

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

We have macrosuede, its great, has copped all food varieties, nail polish, red wine i even splashed paint on it when I was painting the window frame above it without a dropsheet... naughty naughty!  

Everything just wipes off, ours is in a rasin colour, because also of the "brushy" nature of the fabric, if there was any marks, they wouldnt be as noticable as some other fabrics...

That said...there is one thing that it hasnt survived, in a couple of places when my mental cat has come in and jumped onto it and in a psycho bum licking frenzy he has put his claws into the fabric and created little pulls, due to the colour/brushy nature they are impossible to see but i know they are there sad.gif Think about that one perhaps if you have animals in the house.

As for leather, im sure it would be just as good but with a few years of kids climbing etc it may lose lustre/crack unless you pay top dollar, just a thought. Another thought I guess would be climate, U wouldnt want a leather lounge in the tropics IYKWIM.

But me, Im macrosuede all the way.... 2 years and it still looks brand spankin (well with the exception of freako cat marks tongue.gif )

S

#8 ~Levity~

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:41 PM

Another vote for leather here! If it's dusty or dirty, just wipe it with a cloth. We have ddoggies who manage to get hair everywhere (even tho they don't go on furniture) and the leather is fantastic as hair doesn't stick to it. You do need to maintain it, just a wipe over with leather cleaner then conditioner once a season (takes about 10min) and it'll last indefinately!
Whatever you get, I suggest getting a very plain or neutral colour... we made the mistake of getting an aztec print fabric couch a few years ago and it dated very badly iykwim. A plain solid colour won't - and you can jazz it up with different throw-cushions if you want.

#9 2bundles

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:39 AM

We have had our white leather lounge for 4 years, and it still looks great.  We are in a hot climate, but have a/c.

The quality of the leather makes a huge difference.

#10 shell68

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

Leather is excellent, everything wipes off. We bought an expensive one, with a special coating so even pen sipes off. If you maintain the leather - clean and leather dressing every 6 months to a year, it will not crack and will last you up to 20 years.

The only downside I have know of is buckles on shoes can tear / mark the leather, so you need to make sure no children has shoes on when going on the couch.

#11 milasmum

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:15 AM

I have always prefered the look of fabrics but  have been convinced to go for leather(we are in the market for a new lounge too) These are the reasons I have decided on leather:

Does not hold dust(good for allergies)
Don't have to vacuum, just wipe
Bits of fabric, pet hair, baby spew, food, drink can all wipe off.

#12 Guest_LandShark_*

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:22 AM

Another here who thinks leather is fantastic. I always wanted beautiful leather sofas - my grandmother bought a 3 seater and 2 seater for us as a wedding present. They are beautifully soft and plush and look as comfortable as they feel. I wash and conditioner them with the Pelle leather system (just get it in Coles) 2 or 3 times a year which keeps them looking great and really supple. DS was and still is a chucky baby and it wiped off so easily! Now he puts his sticky fingers all over them and it is too easy to clean!

#13 frazzled

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:43 AM

We had a leather one for years but I found it cold in the winter/hot in the summer. However,it was a cheap one....I have tried friends expensive ones and they are beautiful! Anyway, we now have a macro-suede one which I loved the look and feel of, but am finding really impractical with 8 children....we got a charcoal colour which shows up EVERYTHING and I feel like I spend half my life brushing it down. SO, for my next lounge purchase, we will be going back to the leather, though it may be a while as I`ll have to save up for a good quality one.

#14 luv mum

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

Hi
I work in a funiture store and sell lounge suites.  I would go the fabric in a teflon coated suede.   Microsuede - there are differnt grades avaialble so be careful.  Look at the backing of the fabric as well and also the thickness of it.  There are some suedes out there that are teflon coated but are quite thin.  And by the way you do not need to put superguard (fabric protector) on this fabric, if the sales person offers it to you they are ripping you off.  I have macro suuede on my lounge at home.  It is a warick fabric a bit more expensive but hey it is fantastic
Cathy

#15 SusanC

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

Thanks so much for the great advice!  I've always liked the homely feel of fabric but I can see from these posts there are some strong practical arguments for leather - or no vegemite in the house!

It seems to depend on quality so will go back and check this out.

Thanks heaps
SusanC

#16 Sal78

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

I'd go leather. I am saving up for a Natuzzi lounge suit.

It's classic and never goes out of fashion, it's comfy and easy to clean.

If you want a softer, natural look - brown or mahogany leather are really nice. With beighe caprpet or timber floors and a neutral toned rug and lots of cream coloured cushions and thick warm throuhs, pain the wall a neutral colour and it will look extremely cosy yet classy.

Though blacks leather is classic and easier to match with existing decor.

#17 Guest_SoccerMum2B_*

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

I'd get leather!  We had one when I was younger, but DP and I bought fabric (scotchguarded though) because of the hot/cold and $$.  If I could, I'd swap it today for a leather lounge.  In Summer you can always put a throw over it if you hate it, but it always look clean, everything wipes off and cat hair doesn't stick.

Ours is 1 1/2 yrs old and starting to look grubby on the arms, covered in cat hair that has to be removed constantly and has grimy bits of god knows what on it, and I'm the one that has to clean it off.  

Plus it is hard not to shudder when friends come over with sticky fingered toddlers.

If you get a plain leather lounge you will never regret it.  We had ours for about 10 years when I was younger and it didn't crack at all - we got rid of it when we moved to QLD as it would cost a bomb to move it and mum and dad figured they were due for a new one.

#18 DadAgain

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

We had a micro-fibre suite  that we bought when we moved in 6 years ago..

NEVER AGAIN! The dirt has got so ingrained (milk spills, dog drool etc etc) and cannot be removed. I got the thing steam cleaned a few months ago and the guy just laughed - Saying - these things are useless - I've never seen one stay clean!..

We looked at the cost of re-upholstering since the framework, cushions and recliner mechanisms were still all very good and the chairs very comfy - but it wasnt affordable..

we are buying new leather lounges and will be throwing the old stuff out! - Hopefully they last longer

#19 lazyrose74

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

My parents have a leather lounge suite and have had it for ages!  Don't know how much it was or anything like that but they have cats.  Cats and leather do not mix unless you can train them to scratch elsewhere.  
Also, to keep leather looking in tip top condition, you need to condition the leather regularly, which my mother didn't do and now the leather is all cracked and not very nice to look at.
We went for a micro suede fabric lounge suite because we don't know where we'll end up and I don't like the idea of leather + sweaty bodies especially in Darwin's wet season.  The fact that micro suede is pretty easy to care for regarding spills and marks are a huge plus as well.
It really depends on your life style but in my opinion, leather needs more elbow grease than fabric.

#20 jodi&adam

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

We have a fabric lounge suite and since bub arrived it is definitely looking worse for wear.

#21 Tree Changer

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:08 PM

For the past seven, we've had a fabric called King Suede in a royal blue! It has lasted fourteen nieces and nephews, varying in age (even the older ones spill things). We also love to entertain so there is a constant flow of traffic. There hasn't been any problem in regards to dust collection but we do give it a vaccum once in a while. We love it and it still looks great.

We had them commercially scotchguarded before they were delivered, and we've sprayed scotchguard on them once since then. Spills etc, just wipe off with ease, so we don't think our little one will casue too many problems that our lounges haven't already been through. We also didn't pay an arm and a leg for them.

#22 Aloysius

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:58 AM

We also have a macrosuede sofa. Macrosuede is great if you get top-grade and get it Scotch guarded commercially. We've had ours for 3 years now and it still looks brilliant. DS vomits on it constantly, the dog jumps up on it all the time with muddy feet and everything has been spilt on it. It is bright red so everything shows up, but one wipe down and its gone. I couldn't be happier.

I think the trick with the fabric is, irregardless of leather or macrosuede is if you pay top$$$ you get a good hardwearing surface, if not you're going to be disappointed.

#23 tall

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

I would choose leather, with a new baby in the house you will be regularly wiping "spills and leaks" off the sofa.

Tall

#24 SisterMaryElephant

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:28 PM

Personally, I'm a leather fan but can't convice DH.

Another option to look at, though, is a removable cover such as those Ikea do.  You could even buy a spare one for when the first gets too yuk.

Something like this:
Ikea EKTORP

For me, I'm looking at getting my dream couch only once the kids are older.

#25 *tonik

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:00 PM

Leather all the way here!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.