Rhiannah Kathleen May
Rhiannah Kathleen May

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ~ Cez ~

Posted 05 September 2002 - 01:24 PM

Second time around for me and this pregnancy was so unlike the first. My morning sickness lasted about   4 weeks and boy was I glad to see that go. I grew differently, carrying low the whole time and not getting as big as I did when I was pregnant with Tayla. Even getting things ready was different this time around - most of it was done by my due date but there were still other things waiting, and waiting and still waiting!!

My due date was August 22nd and that came and went without so much of an inkling that things were going to start. It got to a week past my due date and at an antenatal check up the Dr decided, after doing an internal and finding my cervix still high and closed over at 41weeks,  I should be admitted to hospital for an induction either that night or the following morning.

So on Wednesday the 28th of August, 2002 I was admitted to the hospital. I spent a good couple of hours hooked up to the fetal monitoring machine to trace the baby's heart rate and movements, it was mainly done to make sure the baby was ok to cope with an induction. At 11pm that night the Dr was set to proceed with the induction but when he felt the baby's position she'd turned slightly oblique and that meant postponing the induction because it'd be too risky with the baby not being in the right position. I was able to get a good nights sleep and was checked again the following morning.

Just before lunch time on the 29th, another Dr checked the baby's positioning  and he gave the go ahead for the induction because she'd turned herself head down once more. At 1pm I had my first and only dose of Prostin 1mg gel inserted. I was monitored for 2 hours to make sure firstly that the baby was coping ok and secondly to make sure I wasn't having any reactions to the gel, apparently some women do.

Not long after the gel insertion I began to get period like pains that slowly intensified as the afternoon dragged on. At 8pm I was given an internal and found to be 3-4cm dilated which meant I needed no further doses of Prostin gel or any other induction drugs.

I was using the shower as pain relief and while in there I felt a 'pop' but with all the water already rushing all over me, we didn't know whether it was my waters that broke or not.  By 9:30pm I was getting good strong and regular contractions and  I decided I wanted some pain relief so I was taken upstairs to the birthing suites. After another internal I was found to be 9cm dilated so wasn't able to have any pain relief other than the gas. They hooked that up for me and I think I had about 4 or 5 puffs on it before they realised the hose wasn't connected properly, at which time I had enough of it anyway.

I was continually monitored during my labour and there weren't any problems with either myself or the baby being able to cope. While lying on the bed being monitored I had the sudden urge to push and after 4 good hard pushes Rhiannah Kathleen May made her debut to the world. At first she wasn't breathing and was blue and looked limp from where I was lying. The Dr's took her to the area they check they babies and proceeded with some bagging and in no time at all I heard those first cries!! And what a relief that brought to us all. (Myself, my mum and Rob).

Rhiannah was born at 10:47pm and weighed in at 8lb 12oz (3970g), measuring 52cm in length and 35.5cm head circumference. I required no stitches (luckily!!) and my labour was only 1hr 20mins.

original.gif

Carrie original.gif<P>DD - Tayla Jade 01/12/98<BR>DD - Rhiannah Kathleen May 29/08/02

This message was edited by Carrie B on 9-5-02 @ 9:10 PM

#2 possum

Posted 05 September 2002 - 01:46 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your birth story.  Congratulations and I love the name you have chosen!

Possum (29 Y.O) - Melbourne
EDD  25/11/2002 #1

#3 Elfling

Posted 05 September 2002 - 02:17 PM

Congratulations Carrie!

Thanks for sharing your story.  Wishing you and your family all the best original.gif

Lis

Elfling
Mother-to-be
Expecting Bailey 18/12/02

#4 MegsW

Posted 06 September 2002 - 11:00 AM

Congratulations Carrie on Rhiannah's arrival!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Megan

#5 Amber'sMum

Posted 06 September 2002 - 12:59 PM

I remember someone posting here that night that'd you were going in to be induced...  Anyway, I hope my second labour goes like that!!!  Congrats original.gif

Eve, Mum of Amber Rhiannon, born 9 July 2001
"Raising kids is part joy and part guerilla warfare." ~ Ed Asner

#6 kela4

Posted 06 September 2002 - 02:02 PM

Welcome to the world Rhiannah.  Congratulations Carrie, Rob, Tayla and 'Nanna'.

Kel

#7 kerri28

Posted 06 September 2002 - 06:35 PM

A big congrats on the arrival of your little one. What a great birth story. Would it be asking too much if I could have a short labour & birth aswell? Don't like my chances though as this is my first.lol

hugs
kerrie

Me 28 DF 31<BR>EDD #1 31st Jan 2003:)<P>

#8 kateg

Posted 07 September 2002 - 03:03 PM

Yayyyyyyyy Carrie!
I told you second labours are easy!

A big congratulations from me and give Rhiannah a big kiss from me. Hope to chat to you soon

xxxxxxxx Kate

mum to : James 10, Thomas 8, Ellie 5 and Patrick 13.11.01<BR>

#9 Freckles

Posted 08 September 2002 - 12:10 PM

You lucky thing! I had a 24hr labour!

Anyway, congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

Cheers!

Emma
Mum to Patrick Finn 19/6/02

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.