My birth
My birth

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 EsmeLennox

Posted 10 September 2002 - 08:15 PM

My gorgeous boy is 2 months old today, which has had me thinking about my labour - so time to put fingers to keys and share my story.
I had a show at about 38 weeks and bub was fully engaged, when I visited my Ob he said "I doubt you'll make it to term" - ha - proved him wrong!  I had HEAPS of BHs, and there were several times when I thought "this must be it" only to have the contractions stop.
Finally, on the 9th of July (after an extremely hot curry for dinner) my waters broke with a loud pop and huge gush at about 10pm.  Hubby had just gone to bed, and was really surprised when I came into the room!  We headed off to the hospital about an hour later, and my contractions were just starting.  Got to the hospital and was about 2cm dilated, so they gave me a couple of sleeping pills and said get some sleep - your Dr will see you in the morning!  Oh, to be able to sleep, but with contractions coming every 20 minutes that wasn't going to happen.  By just before 5am I was finally in established labour and dilated 4cm.  At this stage I decided to have a shot of pethidine, as the contractions were really strong and I was dilating quite slowly.  Finally, after much pacing and walking and position shifting, by 1pm I was fully dilatd and ready to push.  I was pushing really hard but nothing was happening bub wouldn't move - and I was in really severe almost constant pain, I was sucking hard on the gas, which helped, but also turned me into a complete space cadet who could only scream 'I can't do this' and 'get this thing out of me' (lol) but  finally after about an hour of this my ob arrived (he'd been doing surgery at another hopsital - I was actually a bit worried he wouldn't make it!), did an internal and found that bub had turned to an OP presentation and was firmly stuck at this stage, having disengaged a bit as well.  He told me I may as well stop pushing as I was going to be another couple of hours!  Talk about having the goal posts shifted!  He recommended an epidural, and even though I hadn't wanted one, I decided to have it as I just couldn't take anymore (I'd been going about 16 hours by this stage).  
Ah bliss! It was so good to have a break from the pain!  However, shortly after having the epi my contractions totally stopped, and I went from 10 back to 9 cm dilated - not happy.  On my ob's advice the midwives let me rest for a while, as bub was completely happy and not in the least bit stressed (unlike his mother!).  After a couple of hours, my contractions still hadn't resumed and I had not dilated any more either, so up went a synctocin (sp?) drip to get things moving again.  I quickly had contractions again and dilated to 10 cm, by this stage I was so exhausted I couldn't think straight.  I was ready to push again, with the epi well and truly worn off, I decided I would try and deliver by myself - the midwives wanted me to get assisted - so they went to ring my ob and tell him that - by the time the midwife came back (and a few more contractions) I'd changed my mind.  I badly needed for it to be over by this stage - so back went the midwife to ring my ob again!
He arrived and suggested vacuum extraction which I agreed to, and things really startd to happen.  After about 5 or 6 huge pushes the head was finally out, and I reached down to touch my baby for the first time.  Two more pushes and the shoulders were out, and then he seemed to just 'slither' out!  Finally the ob was putting the baby up on my tummy saying 'what have you got?' - I couldn't see because the umbilical cord was in the way!  Finally I saw that we had a gorgeous healthy boy - the euphoria of having him finally to hold was indescribable.   So at 17.04pm on his due date - the 10th of July - Jeremy Thomas was born.

Mummy to Jeremy Thomas - 10/07/2002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.