The birth of Julia Kathryn

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Isis

Posted 20 September 2002 - 05:48 PM

I thought I would post Julia's story as it could help those who are interested in different birth stories.

I loved my labour.  I healed well. I can't wait to be pregnant again.

Julia was due to be born on the 18th October 2001.  Because of my pregnancy induced hypertension (high blood pressure), the doctors decided that I should have her induced. The date of the induction was Monday 8th October 2001.

At 8am Andrew and I went to the hospital for the first (as it turns out- only) application of the prostaglandin gel at 8.30am. I was at the hospital for about 2 hours while they externally monitored Julia's heart rate and my blood pressure.  We left the hospital, and got home at about 11.30am. I jumped into bed to read at about midday, feeling slight period pain. The slight period pain felt stronger and stronger, till at 1pm I decided to get up and have a walk and a cup of tea.  Just as I thought about doing this, I heard a 'pop', but thought it was from outside. I rolled out of bed and stood up, feeling 2 'runs' of water, that was definitely not me weeing myself.  I then realised as well that my period pains were quite regular and painful.  They were 4 minutes apart and definitely enough to make me take notice.  We called the hospital and were told to come in, but not to rush it. I had a piece of toast and a cup of tea, by then the contractions were 3 minutes apart.  On the way to the hospital I was really uncomfortable. The contractions were 2 minutes apart and quite painful by the time we got to the hospital at about 2pm. They monitored Julia, she was fine and my blood pressure was stable.

They moved me into the birthing room at about 3pm and I immediately went into the shower, on the roller ball thingy.  They did an internal and I was 3 cm dilated at 3.30pm.  The next hour went like a blur.  I remember asking for pethidine, being told to wait and that I was doing really well just breathing and rocking through the contractions.  I remember I looked at one of the mid-wives and asked for some gas.  I was on the verge of freaking out with the pain (Andrew has told me that I actually screamed).  She had me lie over a bean bag with pillows heaped on top of it and showed me how to use the gas. I had the choice of the mouthpiece, or the mask. I chose the mask.  I remember she told me to make the machine rattle. I made it almost explode  Tounge1.gif  I could feel each contraction coming, getting harder and lasting longer.  The gas removed my sense of time, but left me aware of the pain. I could hear people talking and I could talk back, but I was really in my own world.

At about 4.30 (apparently) I yelled that I needed to push.  My contractions were finishing with an extreme urge to push.  The midwives told me that I couldn't push, to use the gas and breathe through that urge and that the doctor was on the way. Well-  the doctor looked inside and said, yep, she is ready to go, 10 cm dilated and that Julia's head was waiting to come out.  So then the push started.  ohmy.gif

I pushed about 5  times, each time, moving her slowly further down.  The midwives told me to change my way of pushing.  I put my feet on their hips, grabbed hold of my thighs near my knees, stuck my chin down to my chest and when time came to push, I remember I roared. It's funny, while I was roaring, I remember thinking to myself that I would scare the baby original.gif  I pushed so hard, that Julia's head was birthed and on the next breath, her body followed.  What an exquisite pain it was.. She was born with her right hand beside her head, next to her ear. She was born at 4.57pm, 7lbs 1oz, 52cm long with a head circumference of 32.5cm.  And a shock of white blonde hair...  Perfect wink.gif

I sustained 4th degree tears to my perineum, rectum and sphincte.. ohmy.gif I guess that if I could have changed anything, it would have been to not be on my back and to have controlled my pushing a bit more, to let myself stretch. But as it turned out, I had too much strength inside me and no-one (including me) knew that.

I managed to feed her between having an IV line put in and the surgeon poking around to see exactly how badly I had torn.  Pretty bad.  I was put under a general anaesthetic and had my bottom half sewn back together.  I had not only torn the outside, but muscle on the inside  To repair the damage took 25 stitches.  That is quite a few in regards to repairing a labour tear. Julia was fine, she hung out with my hubby for a while till I came back.  She had a slight case of jaundice, due to being 10 days early. We were in hospital for 4 days.

Edited by Isis, 30 April 2008 - 04:42 PM.

#2 bunty

Posted 23 September 2002 - 04:35 PM

Wow, that was a powerful story!  I am amazed that you got Julia out so quickly at the end.  What does the future hold for you?  Will you be allowed to have another vaginal birth considering the tearing you went through?

bunty

DS1 Ethan 2/2/2000
DS2 Xander 4/1/2002
Mum's diary: *bunty*

#3 Isis

Posted 24 September 2002 - 03:31 PM

I have been told by an ob that I should not have a vaginal birth again.  She said the next baby will have to be a c-section. The danger of having a vaginal birth is that if I re-tear to the 4th degree again, I may not heal so well, meaning fecal incontinence and ultimately need colo-rectal surgery to repair the area. I already fart easily when I laugh or cough hard. But then so do a lot of people original.gif

When I fall pregnant again, I will be seeking out 3 independant midwives who have birthed many babies and have seen all there is to see. If 2/3 say that a c-section is best, I'll have one, but if 2/3 say a vaginal birth is definitely attainable I'll push as hard as I can for it. I don't have health insurance so I will be going through the public system. I will basically be at their mercy, but I will try to stand up for my rights as a woman who has total faith in her body to do its instinctual job...

I will be starting a diary when the time comes to TTC again...Watch that space original.gif

Edited by Isis, 30 April 2008 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.