Cookies & slices that don't need baking in an oven?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveMyFamily

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out please.  Our oven is broken, and we won't be able to afford to replace it for a few months yet.  In the meantime I have a huge craving for cookies and slices but of course I can't make them in the oven, and it's too expensive to keep buying them.

We have a microwave oven, so I was wondering if it were possible to use that instead?  If anyone were able to help out with some "oven free" recipes I'd really appreciate it!  tongue.gif

Edited to add, I forgot to mention cakes, I didn't want people to think I was anti-cake, lol!

Edited by ILoveMyFamily, 10 August 2006 - 07:27 PM.

#2 aunty-moo

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

Here's one you don't even have to bake!  I make it for my kids lunchboxes all the time original.gif

1 cup rice bubbles
• ½ cup rolled oats
• Ό cup chopped dried apricots
• ½ cup sultanas
• Ό cup almond flakes
• Ό cup Milo
• ½ cup coconut
• 30g butter
• Ό cup honey
• ½ cup milk bits (optional)

• Combine dry ingredients.
• Melt butter & honey.  Add to dry ingredients.
• Press into slice tray
• Refrigerate until firm.  
• Cut into slices or bars to serve.
• Keep refrigerated.

#3 ILoveMyFamily

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

Oooh yum, I'll give those a go on the weekend and let you know how I go, I've gone without for so long now, I should've asked sooner! biggrin.gif

Thanks!

#4 Amysha

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

This is one of my favourites, got it from Super Food Ideas a few years back in their Christmas edition but you can do it year round. Hit with the kids to and cheap to make. I just use the Farmland brand of biscuits.

MARSHMELLOW LOG

100g mini marshmallows
125g butter, melted
250g scotch finger biscuits, crushed
200g sweetened condensed milk
1 cup coconut

Method:

1. Mix marshmallows, butter, biscuits and condensed milk together.
2. Roll mixture into a log approximately 5cm thick.
3. Coat with coconut and roll up in greased paper.
4. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
5. Slice

#5 Corrie-Lyn

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Here is a recipe for a slice that does not need to be baked and is very nice as well as easy.

Fruit Salad fingers

250g scotch finger biscuits (i just use homebrand)
3 tablespoons custard powder
825g can tropical blend fruit salad in natural juice

1. Spread a layer of the biscuits over the base of an 18 * 28 cm lamington tin.

2. Blend the custard powder and fruit salad in a large saucepan.  Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring continuously until mixture boils and thickens.  

3. Spread evenly over the biscuit base. Chill. Then it is ready to eat when it is set.  Enjoy.

Corrie-Lyn

#6 Amysha

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

Gee that sounds interesting and different. I cant even begin to think what that would taste like but it sounds pretty darn good, might have to give it a try.

#7 OmbreRose

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

I have a book of no bake slices ...somewhere!  I will find it by the time you have tried the other suggestions here lol

#8 sammyv

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

I asked my mother for her fudge slice recipe the other day and she emailed me all these non bake slices.

FRUIT BALLS
1 ½ cups dates 1 cup sultanas
½ cup chopped nuts 1 cup bran flakes
6 digestive biscuits (crumbed) ½ cup margarine (114 g)
Soak dates in 2 tablespoons of hot water. Mix in other ingredients. Roll in coconut

SHERRY FRUIT BALLS
½ teaspoon sherry 1 ½ cups sultanas or raisins
2oz melted butter 2 teaspoons cocoa
6 tablespoons icing sugar
Put dry ingredients in bowl then add butter and sherry. Roll into balls in crushed weetbix, cornflakes or coconut

CHOCOLATE SLICE
1 pkt Wine biscuits Ό lb butter (110 g)
Ό lb sugar (110 g) 1 egg
2 tablespoons cocoa
Melt butter, sugar & cocoa. Add beaten egg, then crumbed biscuits and lastly fruit and nuts if wanted. Ice hot or cold. Cut into bars

HONEY BAR
125gm butter Ό cups brown sugar
Ό cup honey 1 tablespoon milk
1 pkt wine biscuits (Crumbed)
Melt butter, stir in brown sugar, honey and milk. Continue stirring until sugar melts Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Mix well Press into roll tin. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into bars

GINGER FUDGE CAKE
1 pkt wine biscuits (Crumbed) 1 pkt gingernut biscuits (crumbed)
1 oz sultanas (30 g) 1 oz raisins (30 g)
1 oz preserved ginger (30 g) Ό lb butter (110 g)
1 beaten egg 10 marshmallows chopped small
Beat butter & sugar add beaten egg to mixture until light honey coloured. Add biscuits, then fruit and lastly marshmallows. Press into Swiss roll tin and leave until next day to ice with lemon icing. Cut into small pieces as it is very rich

NO BAKE ORANGE SLICE
1 pkt arrowroot biscuits (crumbed) ½ tin highlander condensed milk
4 oz butter (110 g) Pinch salt
Grated rind of one orange Ύ cups coconut
Melt butter and mix with dry ingredients. Press into greased tin. Ice with irange icing when set.

CHOCOLATE
7oz kopha 5 oz icing sugar (150 g)
5 oz full cream milk powder (150 g) 1 tablespoon cocoa
Fruit and nuts
Melt kremelta and pour over dry ingredients. Stir well then press into roll tin to set. Cut into squares

FUDGE SLICE
2 cups sugar 225 g butter
2 beaten eggs 4 cups crushed biscuits
2 dessertspoons cocoa Handful raisins
Vanilla essence
Put butter, sugar and egg into a pot and slowly cook until thickened. Take off heat and add biscuits, cocoa, raisins and vanilla essence. Press into a roll tin. Ice when cool and cut into bars

HONEYSUCKLE CAKE
½ tin condensed milk Ύ cup coconut or rolled oats
½ cup chopped walnuts 25 crushed wine biscuits
Pinch salt Grated rind of one orange
4 oz melted butter (110 g)
Combine all ingredients in order given Press into greased roll tin
Ice with
4oz melted butter (110 g) 4 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons condensed milk 6 oz icing sugar (180 g)
Allow icing to set on cake, then cut into bars

LOG CAKE
225 g malt biscuits 1 beaten egg
8 tablespoons icing sugar 2 dessertspoons cocoa
50 g melted butter Vanilla essence
Sprinkle greased paper with coconut. Put mixture on 4 biscuits laid lengthwise on coconut. Putting mixture between layer so that they stick to each other, repeat until nearly all biscuits and mixture are used up. Add biscuits to sides and top Roll in coconut Leave to set.

#9 OmbreRose

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

Scotch Mints

1 pkt crushed choc ripple
250g crushed peppermints
1/2 tin condensed milk

Mix together and press into slab tin.
cut into squares and tosss in coconut.

Mars Bars

3oz butter
3 mars bars
3 cups rice bubbles

Melt mars bars with butter then pour over rice bubbles.
Press into slab tin lined with greaseproof.

thats all i can add at the moment as i now have to go buy mars bars!!

#10 looly

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:37 AM

Those recipes sound great! AmandaJ's ricebubble slice is in my fridge waiting to be cut up and hopefully it will last until lunchbox time tomorrow!!!
Sammyv...can you please tell me what "Wine biscuits" are? Can you use any other biscuits instead? Ta! Looking forward to trying some of your slices that your mum sent you  tongue.gif
OmbreRose...ah, thanks for reminding me about Mars Bar Slice!!!!!! I'm off to get some too....yummo!!

Edited by looly, 13 August 2006 - 08:40 AM.

#11 ILoveMyFamily

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:10 AM

Well unfortunately the nasty morning sickness monster has kicked in, so I've put all cooking on hold until that wears off a bit, thanks heaps for all the great recipes, and I will most definately be breaking them out as soon as I feel better!  tongue.gif

#12 allyc

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

Just now made the rice bubble slice of Amandaj's with DD (a great one to make with kids) and from the taste on the spoon it is yumo!
Can't wait until it is set...

#13 Amysha

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

We made Corrie-Lyn's slice yesterday and that is yummy. My hard to please DD likes it too. I like that it doesn't have a heap of ingredients and sugar. Going to make the rice bubble one next.

#14 aunty-moo

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

Glad to see you are all making my slice original.gif

It is a great one! I make it every week here, better than shop bought museli bars for sure.

Enjoy

#15 Corrie-Lyn

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

burtof Glad that you enjoyed the slice it is so easy and quick I love it. Hope you all have a great day.

Corrie-Lyn

#16 ReneS

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

Mmmmmm these all look fantastic and easy (What i like at 39 weeks pg LOL)

I have just cut and pasted these into my recipe file, i will definately be trying these out.

Some sound like great healthy snacks for my fussy DD too.

#17 allyc

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:18 AM

I couldn't work out why my rice bubble slice wouldn't set and then realised I had used the low fat margarine instead of the regular one.
I know it says in the recipe to use butter but we don't eat it so would normal margarine be okay?
Even crumbly it still tastes yummy though!

#18 log-on

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

Milo Balls original.gif

250g packet arnotts "Marie" Biscuits
2.5 tablespoons Milo
400g can sweetened condensed milk
Half cup desiccated coconut

Crush biscuits (I use a snap lock bag and a rolling pin blush.gif if you dont have a food processor!)

Transfer crumbs to a lare bowl, stir in Milo, then GRADUALLY stir in enough condensed milk to give a firm moist consistency.

Roll heaped teaspoons of the mixture into balls then toss in coconut to coat evenly. Pop on foil lined tray cover and refridge for 1 hour.

Makes 35 balls approximately.

#19 jinxygirl

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

I made Amandas rice bubble slice yesterday. Very nice and everyone in my house loves it....which is a big suprise and very welcome ! How easy was it to make ????

I just went to have a cuppa and thought i would have a little bit with it. There is only about 5 squares left ! (i cut it into 35 squares) Hubby has polished off nearly the whole slab between 9pm and midnight last night !!!

#20 flipflop

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:29 PM

I couldn't work out why my rice bubble slice wouldn't set and then realised I had used the low fat margarine instead of the regular one.
I know it says in the recipe to use butter but we don't eat it so would normal margarine be okay?
Even crumbly it still tastes yummy though!

I have just made it with 'real' butter and mine hasn't stuck together and is all crumbly, even after 4 hours in the fridge. What did I do wrong??? ohmy.gif

#21 Gin and Tonic

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:55 PM

I made this very easy slice yesterday

125g butter - melt in a large saucepan then fold through
3 cups toasted muesli
half cup golden syrup

Stir on medium heat for 5 minutes until thickened and golden brown.  press into a slice tin prelined with baking paper and put in fridge until firm.

#22 Gin and Tonic

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

I just tasted my slice and it wasnt as nice as I thought it was going to be.  It is very sweet and sticky.

#23 Doofybear

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

Anymore? DD is just starting to want to 'help' me 'cook'! We only have a really small kitchen, so something that she doesn't have to be around the hot oven etc is great!

#24 dora the explorer

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

I made the rice bubbles slice the other day. I added copha, about 1/2 the amount of butter, it sets nicely but not too hard for little people's teeth.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.