Snack Ideas for 9 Month old

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rubylicious

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

My DD is 9 months old. She currently eats 3 times a day but I am wanting to introduce a morning snack and evening snack.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas? I am not the greatest cook and on a tight budget atm. She is also a little wussy and tends to gag pretty easily.

She doesnt just have purees though. She can handle biscuits, but for some reason gags like crazy on cheesesticks LOL.

#2 weiry

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

Have you tried custard? I know you can buy them pre-made (just mix with water) or maybe find a recipe book for toddlers - they sometimes have good ideas. Other things I can suggest that my DD eats (she's almost 11 mths now) are: toast fingers with cream cheese, vegemite etc, chopped up tin fruit, ritz crackers, sliced cheese, steamed carrot sticks, grated apple, cous cous cooked with milk, cinnamon and sugar, yogurt. I think they actually just like to play with new foods more than eat it but at least they get use to different tastes!

#3 littlehelpers

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

I'll also be watching this thread.  JEssica has teething rusks and biscuits.  I have tried her on cooked brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, beans, peas and corn as snacks whilst we eat.  She also eats 3 meals a day.  Jessica is also 9 months.

#4 Juju-Lulu

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

Hi Alison,

You could try:

- Fruit pieces chopped up quite small.. I find pear is good, or maybe peach, nectarine, banana.. or whatever is available that is soft.

- Sultanas or raisins. Trying pouring a little boiling water over them and leave them for a few minutes before serving. this softens them up.

- Avocado on cruskits is a favourite with Lucia.

- Break cheese stick up into small pieces.

Hope that helps a bit  smile1.gif Good luck!

Jan

#5 Soren Lawrenson

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

All of the above, and;

Some grated cheese (helps develop their pincer grip), perhaps mixed with some grated pear

My DD LOVES the inside of a Brumby's fruit bun - chunks torn off into bite size peices

#6 Rubylicious

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:16 PM

I just gave her one of those rice cakes broken up into little bits with avocado... she seems to have handled it ok but didnt eat a lot as my sister showed up with her baby and she got distracted LOL.

But do you think rice cakes are ok? They seem fairly light and break up in your mouth.

Also what about bread? Or is it too early for that? Without the crust of course...

#7 Juju-Lulu

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:18 PM

Lucia loves little sandwiches.  I make them with avocado, cream cheese and/or tuna.  I use wholemeal bread, thin sliced, and cut them up into little squares.

Edited by Juju-Lulu, 01 October 2006 - 04:19 PM.

#8 CluckingKiwi

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hi Alison,

Sophie loves sandwiches too smile1.gif

I use white bread she enjoys avocado and cottage cheese, vegemite with/without cream cheese, date spread and I just found a recipie for 1 swipe cheese spread.

I buy the rice/ corn thins Sophie has eaten these for 7 or so weeks now spread with any of the above.

Mousetraps

Dried apple slices, raisans apricots prunes, necterine peach

Crackers

Grated cheese carrot apple

Cucumber rings without the skin

Celery sticks

Mandarin and oranges

Grapes minus skin and seeds

Vegies and fruit

Strips of meat

Mini meatballs

Kumera and potato wedges baked in oven

All finger food that Sophie likes which she manages really well with her 2 bottom teeth.

She will not eat custard or yoghurt mellow.gif though.

Good luck

Nicky

#9 Rubylicious

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

Thanks girls!

#10 Nicky*Nacky*Nocky*Nu

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

I asked a finger food question a few weeks ago and saved a big list of finger foods.  Here goes -

- Steamed peas and corn
- Grated apple or an entire half an appple
- Corn cruskits
- Toast
- Steamed rice
- Tiny bits of cooked meat or mince
- Flakes of tuna
- Steamed zuccini
- Steamed carrot sticks
- Raisins (some books say to soak them but I don't bother)
- Mini sandwiches (avocado and/or cream cheese)
- Cereal (e.g. Cheerios or Rice bubbles)
- Cheese (soft cheddar in tiny pieces or grated).
- steamed veges
- dried apple rings  (my 10m finds these hard to actually eat - she only chews them)
- apple, dried mango, dried peaches are good too and prunes
- Cheese triangles (the soft cheddar style you buy in little round boxes
- cherry tomatoes cut in pieces

Abbey loves gratted cheese, peas, carrots, bread, sultanas (I've heard that some people soak them to soften them, but I don't), I give her hard cheese also.  And she has her bottle of water to drink with her finger foods to rinse her mouth and keep her fluids up - especially in this heat - carries it around everywhere!  That just made me think of a question I've been meaning to ask - water - when is it ok to start giving tap water not boiled water??  I'll ask in a post.

#11 1dragonett

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I'm a paranoid mum when it comes to food (choking is a phobia I have)..... so trying Very hard to get DD to eat proper solids. I have found that she is a gagger  rolleyes.gif  to top everything off.
I tried the suggestions I found in another thread - most worked well.  I also found that Corn on the Cob - with a bit cut off the end just big enough for DD to hold and mung on herself, works Fab!! She simply loves it. And would you believe, we also tried a T-bone steak bone (no sharp edges or choky bits of course) and she howled when we had to finish up and throw it away!!

#12 ~obsidian~

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

My DS and I share a mandarine every day - I peel and take the seeds out and then just pop a piece about bite size into his waiting jaws! He loves it, it's easy, cheap and yummy.

#13 Nicky*Nacky*Nocky*Nu

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:30 PM

Ive just started giving my 10 month old a peeled apple to knaw on - she loves it.

Bought some mangoes for 99c each the other day.  She loves mango, given her pieces and I give her the big seed to chew on. It's funny to watch her picking it up and it slipping everywhere - keeps her happy for ages!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.