brown sugar in water for constipated babies?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 *TQT*

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

How much water and brown sugar? DD is a month old, is she too young to have this?  I do have Coloxyl drops but i don't want her system to become reliant upon that.

Kate

#2 jacki

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

I'd just give plain cooled boiled water first and see what that does.  Or have you tried that??  ph34r.gif

HTH
biggrin.gif

#3 tassiegal

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

I was told to use brown sugar and water for my youngest by a child health nurse and then when my pharmacist found out she was horrified and told me to stop using it. I don't know who was right but I ended up using infants friend from the chemist which seemed to help.

#4 MorMabel

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

Sorry to hear bubs is constipated.

Is she breastfed or formula fed?

If she is breastfed than you actually do not need to give hr anything other than the boob.

It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed bubba to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week.

When bowel movements are less frequent, they should be more profuse in volume. As long as the baby is gaining well, wetting sufficiently, and is happy and content there is no cause to be alarmed by infrequent bowel movements, and it is not necessary to give the baby a laxative, fruit juice, or any other "helpers." In fact, attempting to force bowel movements can have harmful consequences to your baby.

After the baby is about six weeks old, he may wet only five to six cloth nappies per day, but if so these nappies will be much wetter. As the baby's bladder grows, he can produce and hold more urine at a time. To judge wetness of a diaper for an older baby, pour 8 tablespoons (120 ml) onto a dry nappy. That would be considered a normally wet nappy.

I am sorry I don't know much about formula, but either way I'd see your GP or Maternal nurse to chat about it to see if bubs is actually constipated as it is rare at this age.

If she is these things can help:
Laying bubs on her back and moving her legs in a cycling motion gently puts pressure on the intestine, can stimulate bowel movement. Massaginub baby's tummy can help. Rub a little baby oil or cream in clockwise circular motions from the navel outwards. This can also make her relax, which helps towards relieving constipation. Similarly, a warm bath can also help to put her at ease and relieve some of the tension in the bowels.

I hope thsat helps a little and your bubby girl is feeling better soon original.gif

#5 *TQT*

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

She's on formula. When pooing she really strains herself and lets out a whimperish kind of cry. THey were starting to get a bit pebbly which is why i used the coloxyl drops which seemed to have started working, i just don't want her bowel movements to rely on chemicals, they need to do it naturaly. Going to the GP tomorrow for her 1 month check up anyway so will see what she recommends..

#6 Etcetera

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

You may need to change the type of formula she is on.

#7 mybaby

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar to 60mls of cool boiled water. Give bubs 3-4 times over 24 hours...works a treat

HTH  biggrin.gif

#8 Tongue~In~Cheek

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

It was actually our pharmacist who suggested the brown sugar and water trick to me for my DD when I was going in to buy coloxy drops.  As the PP said 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar to 60mls of cool boiled water.  With DD it only took an hour to work.  With DS it worked 8 hours later.  I only ever gave them one dose though.

#9 Diverted_Crazy_One

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:57 PM

Yes water works great! but i use just plain sugar,ive been giving this to him since he was 3wks old.He seems to be fine so i guess its okay i had a dr tell me off for giving it to him,but i then had a dr tell me to give to him.I think it depends on the dr and what they think.

#10 judy_

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:45 PM

It definately can't hurt!  Try it, if it works great let us all now.

#11 Call~me~Sarah

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

regular sugar is no good-it makes the baby dehydrated and can make it very sick.it has to be BROWN sugar. some recommend 1/2 teaspoon in 60mls,others recommend 1 teaspoon in 30mls-ive been using the teaspoon in 30mls and it works.ALSO the drops you use are fine-the bowel wont rely on them to work,as you can stop giving them to bub around the 12 week mark when the digestive tract is more mature.besides thats what the drops are for-to stimulate the bowel and get it moving.its not uncommon for babies this age to be constipated-especially formula fed babies! find out what works and choose whats right for you.

Edited by mumo3-21, 14 November 2006 - 10:25 PM.

#12 *TQT*

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

thanks for taht! I guess i just prefer the idea of something natural helping her bowel movements than chemical. 2 months seems a long time to be on coloxyl when there is a possibility of something natural. Wouldn't that be better to use? If it works of course.

#13 MorMabel

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

2 months seems a long time to be on coloxyl when there is a possibility of something natural. Wouldn't that be better to use? If it works of course.

Yes, trying natural things is always best first.

Have you thought about taking bubs to a naturopath?

Hope she is feeling better son original.gif

#14 kawaii

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

1/2 prunce juice mixed with 1/2 water. SImple as that.

#15 Doobeedoo

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

I was told 1/2teaspoon of glucose powder in 60mls of water.  Works great.  you can buy glucose powder from chemists.

#16 *TQT*

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

lol, thanks guys! i went from having 2 options (sugar or coloxyl)to choose from, to having heaps!  rolleyes.gif Saw my GP today she said the brown sugar in water should do the trick. Thanks for all your help ladies!  I will keep in mind the other options too just in case the brown sugar doesn't work.

Kate

#17 tinkster23

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:20 PM

the brown sugar usually works a treat although you may want to consider changing formula...

some of the gold formulas can be really constipating..

biggrin.gif

#18 *TQT*

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:22 PM

She's not on gold, just the plain Karicare, i asked the Dr about changing formula and she said i could if i wanted to but i could just make it worse... unsure.gif

Edited by *shishkabub*, 15 November 2006 - 04:22 PM.

#19 Tongue~In~Cheek

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

My DD got constipated on Karicare too.  I ended up putting her on the Heinz Nurture one instead and she was much better.

#20 PinkCrazy

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

I'm another on the change the formula suggestion.  I don't think you'd want to be chopping and changing too often, but it is pretty common from what I've heard to have constipation on one formula and then another formula suits them better.  What makes one bub constipated might be the best thing for another. Do you have a health nurse you could talk to?

#21 *TQT*

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

I'm not going to a health nurse with DD...tho i suppose i could swing by on drop in Mondays.

I have no idea which formula i should change to tho...there's sooo many.

#22 Call~me~Sarah

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

NAN is good for babies with constipation.it has something in it (cant remember what its called) that makes it gentle on the digestive system.my friend recommended it to me when #2 was constipated on heinz nurture and from then on i said goodbye to constipation. theres also a new brand of formula out recently that has different formulas for different things only available in chemists i believe.it has formulas for the reflux baby,lactose intolerant baby,hungry sleepless babies,babies with allergies and even a special formula for babies who tend to get constipated.the tins are very simple and plain and easy to understand.theyre white with the brand name,then the type of formula and then a picture of a cute giraffe or something.i wish i could remember what its called! theyre about $20 a tin so not cheap,but maybe what you're in need of?

i will find out the brand tomorrow when shopping if i remember and i can PM u if u like?

Edited by mumo3-21, 15 November 2006 - 10:55 PM.

#23 ttc76

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:10 AM

mummo,

I would be interested in the brand name to if you could post it..

thanks heaps they sound awesome, I've also just started formula & trying a few different ones as I don't think I have found the perfect one for my bub yet

Nat

#24 Tongue~In~Cheek

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

The brand you are thinking of is Novalac.

I currently have my DS on the one for hungry and sleepless babies because it is a thickened formula for his reflux.

They are quite expensive though.  I think it was $22 for an 800g tin.

#25 mybaby

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

When i was trying to figure out formulas for Sammy, i called the Maternal Child hotline and more than one of those midwives said NAN HA Gold coz it's easier to digest. I did put Sammy on that and it has been wonderful. If i have to put any of my furture children on formula, i will head sraight to Nan Ha before any others.

You need to keep bubs on the formula for a while. It is very normal for bubs to have a hard poo before a soft poo comes straight after. the hard poo is the plug and it's very normal so don't think that is a sign of constipation - i panicked when that happened and the maternal hotline reassured me..thankfully  biggrin.gif

They also told me that the Novolac formula has pear juice in it to make it that way so they don't recommend them...but it is their opinion and there are a lot of mums using it who are very happy with it so it's all personal choice  happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.