Jump to content
Non-vaccinated kids discussion #2
97 replies to this topic
Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:15 PM
Finally a fantatsic supportive thread!
I have just found this thread and have skimmed through the posts and someone mentioned that centrelink stopped their payments because they hadn't immunised their kids.
This happened to me, and after a phonecall i found out the only thing i needed to do was to get a letter from my GP or Health centre saying i'm not immunising (not sure what it was called) and sent it off to them and they were happy with that, and my payments commenced again.
I think it's disgusting that the gov can discriminate against us just like that. Makes my blood boil.
Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:04 PM
Well Adjusted Babies is a fantastic book.. it's a shame it was poorly edited though, lots of spelling errors.
Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:57 PM
I agree Kylie, the second addition has been cleaned up alot and edited properly!
ReneS - yeah, just goes to show that ignorance can let you get pushed around.
For anyone else needing/wanting to know the conscientious 0bjection form can be found at this link!
Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:33 AM
I didn't know there was a second edition, that is good to hear! It's such a great book.
Is the CO form only for if you still want the payment?
Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:08 PM
Kylie - I am not sure but I assume the only reason the government needs to know that you are not vaccinating is to get around the payment of benefits - seems thats the only thing they can blackmail you with eh?
Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:13 PM
So can you get the form signed by a ECHC nurse or does it have to be a doctor?
Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:59 PM
Tash - I am pretty sure it's a DR, but I'm not 100% sure. My first 2 DDs had theirs signed by our GP.
Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:17 AM
The CO form can be signed by anybody qualified to give vaccinations, so that includes nurses.
I was pretty horrified when I discovered that lodging your CO form means that Centrelink is keeping health information for your child. Immunisation information is supposed to be stored in the HIC/Medicare system, but by some glitch, rather than being able to see whether you're eligible or not for a particular payment, the Centrelink operator can see whether or not your child is fully immunised!
I made a few protesting phonecalls when I found this out and got nowhere, and would love to hear other's thoughts on whether this is unethical storage of information on the wrong gov't server!
Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:53 AM
~Sorceress~ yeah I think its unethical and I am shocked but not surprised!
It seems that Vaccinations has become a finacial issue and a numbers game rather than a health concern. Its a worry!
Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:07 PM
I am also a non-vaccinator. I was very 'pro' vaccination until I actually had a child of my own.
After Darcy was born, I just couldn't look at him and justify putting such noxious substances into his under developed immune system. I mean how incredibly rare would it be for an infant to be exposed to all the things they are immunised against?
I also began to have concerns about autism and cancers. When Darcy was due to be vaccinated I was besides myself trying to make an informed decision and I found the medical profession does not want you to be informed. I went to the doctors and asked for the pharmaceutical listing about the drugs and was asked "what do you want that for". I replied I wanted to make an informed decision and was told "you don't need to worry about that"
I insisted and got the information -well, the manufacturer had warnings about fever, pain, encephalitis, paralysis, anaphalactic shock and also said - and this was the most amazing thing - that side effects may not present themselves immediately and may take many years before they become apparent.
Needless to say, I made a decision then and there not to vaccinate.
When I took my Conscientious Objector form to the GP I had a huge argument with him, but he quickly stopped giving me a hard time when I asked him if he could give me statistics stating that when outbreaks of disease occur what are the percentages of vaccinated children compared to non-vaccinated children that contract them. I also told him if he was willing to state in writing that my child would suffer no long term ill effects from the vaccinations I would have it done. Of course he declined.
Darcy is nearly 7 months old and has never been sick - except for a cold recently after I had the flu which turned into bronchitis. He didn't get what I got. In our mothers group he is the most placid, happy and healthy little boy. All the other kids have 'issues' ranging from seperation anxiety, sleeplessness,epilepsy, major food allergies, tantrums etc. Darcy has none of these.
Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:25 PM
and this was the most amazing thing - that side effects may not present themselves immediately and may take many years before they become apparent.
Wow, I had no idea about this.
Petra - The book "Just a little prick" talks about children vax vs non vaxed contracting illnesses. Hilary Butler has done some great research in that book. I really need to get around to finishing it!
Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:50 PM
I only partially belong in here, because in general I do vaccinate my boys. But I have a somewhat delayed schedule (my choice), I refused either of them the birth HepB, and DS1 hasn't had the chickenpox vaccine (DS2 is too young for it so far but I'm not planning to do him either). I have had funny looks and questions from people just from those decisions, so well done to those of you who are sticking to your "non-vaccinating" guns.
It was a tough decision for me as to whether or not to vaccinate, I do hope I made the right one - I guess I'll never really know. My MIL didn't vaccinate DH or BIL, and they had most of the 'mild' diseases (like measles and mumps) as kids.
I don't want my boys having this new "6-in-1" vaccine - I wanted to delay the IPV, but also I just didn't want the new vaccine. When I took DS2 to the clinic to have his 2 month shots I said I wanted to delay the IPV and Prevenar (which is what I did with DS1), but they told me that I could only have DTPa-IPV - that they couldn't get hold of any without the polio in them anymore. I was quite disappointed, but I went along with it because I believed them. But at least the Hib-HepB shot was separate. As you can see it's not only giving him all the vaccines at once that bothers me - the new one hasn't been around very long, so it hasn't been tested over a long period of time yet, so I'm not prepared to use it. I guess this is me using the experience of others above risking it myself, but so be it.
Nice to have this thread here
Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:39 PM
HI, i have also decided not to vaccinate my child.It was a very difficult decision to make.
I have a nephew with high functioning Autism(asbergers syndrome) and also a cousin with the same problem..also 3 of my cousins have epilepsy. I was extremelly concerned about vaccinating after having the experience of a child with asbergers syndrome..it is such a hard disibility to live with for both child and parent. I know it is not proven by mainstream medical that there is any link between vaccinations and autism or epilepsy???? But for me the risk was too great..i really felt like it was a chance i did not want to take with my beautiful little boy.
in one of the earlier posts the book well adjusted babies was mentioned..it is actually this book that helped me to feel confident about questioning vaccination and to take a look into the ingredients of the vaccinations themselves.
I do feel very alone in my decision..out of all of the mothers i have contact with all babies are vaccinated..i do however know some older children that are not vaccinated (and my husband is included also!).
I have yet to lodge my CO form and i am in the process of reading as much info as i can.. i have signed on with AVN and have some of there info packs that i am in the process of reading..Can anyone reccomend any further reading...or books/links that contain studies on the vaccinations themselves?
Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:03 PM
My DD had the initial vaccinations, simply due to my lack of knowledge, it amazes me how noone mentions vaccination while you're pregnant. After proper consideration, investigations and a consultation with a peadiatrician who supports parents who decide not to vaccinate we decided to give her no further vaccinations. I feel that i have made the right decision for us at this time but it is a decision that I struggle with from time to time.
I would however love some advice from you guys if possible. I have discovered that i have no immunity to chicken pox (after having some blood tests after having a miscarriage at the end of last year). I have made some inquiries, my GP said not to worry about it but the Mothersafe line unquestionably advised to have the vaccination before getting pregnant again. My DD hasn't had the CP vaccination. Obviously this is something i need to decide but does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?
Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:16 PM
Kylie - I recommend "Just a little prick" By Hilary Butler.
bugsysmummy - I am sorry, I have no advice at all.
Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:29 PM
Bugsymummy, Just because you don't have detectable antibodies doesn't necessarily mean you don't have immunity. Have you had CP in the past?
I had the rubella vaccine at 13yo (and had a pretty yucky reaction ) and didn't have any detectable antibodies when I was pregnant - but I lived in a house while my brother went through rubella (which was pretty unpleasant for him as he was out of the age range - he was in his twenties) and didn't catch it.
I think most "health care lines" give generic advice, which includes pushing vaccines in almost all situations - including some contra-indicated by the manufacturers!
Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:05 PM
~Sorceress~ just wondering what reactions you had to the rubella? I developed asthma and exzema at 13 with no prior childhood occurance and often wonder if there is a link there????
Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:48 PM
No, my reaction was only localised and short term - but I ended up with a very sore arm, bruising and being sick for a day or two.
Actually, I ended up in better shape than the children who had the meningococcal vaccine at my childrens' schools. I think there was a 50% absentee rate the following week!
Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:46 PM
Hi everyone, im a non vaccinator as well. i just had a big shock, i called to enquire about preschool for my 2 year old boy, and when i advised them that he was not vaccinated, they said they do not accept kids that are not vaccinated! isnt that illegal and discrimmination? its completely thrown me. i feel really angry cause this preschool was highly recommended and i was excited about my son going there, and now this. i really dont know what to do??? anyways, any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:47 PM
melapril - welcome!
Yes it is discrimination and No they cannot do that!
Another poster here is currently taking legal action against a school for the same reasons, if you look back through past threads you might be able to track them down and ask their advise if they dont pop in here.
keep us updated on what happens!
Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:49 PM
Melanie - you should be able to just to give them your 'Concientious Objection Form' and that should be that!!! The Government accepts this and will even pay you for the Immunisation bonus. So this should be acceptable for the day care. They might not like it but it is legal...
Do you have one signed by your doctor??
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles