What are your top 3 money saving tips?

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#1 MummyTard

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

I thought we could all share our top money saving tips!

1. Use cloth baby wipes, it will save heaps
2. Buy Petrol on a Tuesday, its usually so much cheaper.
3. Use a slow cooker, you can use cheap cuts of meat!

Next original.gif

Edited by ~FlyLady~, 21 September 2010 - 03:11 AM.

#2 smilingmama

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:33 PM

ok...

1. Buy summer clothes at the end of summer & winter clothes at the end of winter
2. Buy a $5-$10 giftcard at the end of every grocery shop to use at Christmas
3. Never buy DVDs/Videos (except for kids) - always rent & rent on the two for one day!

#3 Ms*Congeniality

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:41 PM

1. Get your car converted to gas. Saves us heaps
2. Shop around and check the Hot Specials section! I have saved heaps of money this way.
3. Use cloth nappies.

#4 MummyTard

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

BUMP!

#5 Guest_toppy_*

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

Transfer savings, the day pay goes in. Can't see it, can't spend it.

Meal Plan using what's already in your cupboard first.

Give things away.  Through blessing others we have been blessed in return.

#6 Jeneral

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:37 AM

1. Leave the keycards at home.. take only the cash you need.
2. Overbudget  
3. Pay weekly not monthly.

#7 MummyTard

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:03 AM

Thanks so much guys, keep em coming!

#8 chocks

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:14 AM

1.  Same as Mirage and Toppy.  Save 10% of your pay before you spend anything (also known as "pay yourself first").

2.  Set up a present box.  Buy different kinds of girls' toys, boys' toys & useful presents for adults, when you find a great special/markdown. Also keep giftwrap, cards and tape in the box.  You will always have something on hand for that birthday party you forgot about!!  I have saved heaps by doing this, cause I always used to leave it to the last minute (sometimes on the way to the party) and would end up spending too much money cause I was in such a rush!!

3.  Eat at home.  Takeaways are waaaaaaay expensive and a waste of money (IMO).  Learn how to make simple but tasty food using the ingredients you have on hand. I often start dinner in the morning or at lunchtime to avoid that last minute "I don't want to cook dinner now at the end of a long day" feeling.

Love Chocks.

#9 tassiegal

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

1. Don't pay full price for Christmas presents. I always shop from catalogues otherwise if you buy something you can guarantee it will be on special next week.
2. Don't do the grocery shopping when you are hungry.
3. Have a clothes party. You often get free clothes for yourself or the kids.

#10 toadflax

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:23 PM

1. Op-shop clothes are great, especially for kids where the item is often only worn once or twice before it is outgrown. You will be surprised by the number of name labels you can find (eg. Fred Bare, Pumpkin Patch, Jacqui E, Country Road etc).
2. Borrow new release DVDs and CDs from your local library. Reservations are free in our library system, and you can "book ahead" as they place the DVD titles in the system prior to release. I also burn CDs (which is bad, but you did ask about "saving money"!)
3. Like some PPs, I use cloth wipes (bought 30 from Woolworths when DS was born @ 90c each) and think I have saved heaps of money over the past 3 years.

#11 shaka

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

1. If paying off a mortgage, set up a 100% offset account with redraw facility.

2. Make only one trip to grocery store per week.

3. Buy items when they are on special (this applies to grocery shopping and kids clothing - ie. K-Mart 30% off childrenswear sales).

#12 tassiegal

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

I just wanted to add, keep all your receipts so if anything is faulty you can exchange it instead of buying another one. Kmart offers the kid durable guarantee, so if your child outwears it before it he/she outgrows it you can get a refund.

#13 Guest_toppy_*

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:19 PM

I ought to come clean and admit that I stole the 10% tip from Kochie on Sunrise

It's Ok Mirage, Kochie 'stole' it from the richest man in Babylon as has Noel Whittaker and Paul Clithero. Check their references and reccomended reading lists.

#14 happyhere

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

1. Hardly ever pay full price for anything (clothes, shoes, underwear etc.  I also travel overseas and usually buy heaps and heaps, always cheaper, but it depends on where you go)

2. Use vinegar and bi carb soda for all cleaning needs.

3. I refuse to buy magazines- as they are only full of advertisements etc.

#15 CalEliKat

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

1.  Make snacks yourself - children and DH morning teas are always taken care of as I do a big bake weekly and freeze.  Not only does it mean that I have the snacks there but if somebody pops in I always have something on hand to serve with coffee, fruit scones, pumpkin scones, sultana cakes, date loaves or slices, etc  I also make my own hommus and salmon/tuna dips for use on sandwiches and store them in the fridge that way if somebody pops around I also have a dip on hand to serve with rice crackers.  My pantry is not full of bought snacks instead it is full of flour, dried fruits, chick peas, anyway you get the idea
2.  Bake your own bread.  I buy bulk bread mixes and make my own bread.  I make all different types, the children love fruit toast so I make a fruit loaf every couple of days, I make a fresh white or wholemeal loaf daily and a rye loaf once a week, today I made a buttermilk loaf.  
3.  I make my DH's lunch every day.  He is now saving around $80.00 per week as he is not buying coffee/morning tea/lunch/ soft drinks.  When I make dinner I put aside a container for his lunch or he has fresh bread with cold meats and salad - pretty much anything we have on hand.  If I do not get to make his lunch there are containers of potato and leek soup that I made and he can just grab one of them.  He has  a bottle of water that he drinks now instead of soft drinks - so he is getting healthier as well as saving money.

#16 Cherish

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

Convert to cloth nappies.Initially expensive, but in the long run it's cheaper original.gif

Pay extras off your loans, even $10 a week can make a huge difference, it also means if times get tough you will be ahead in your payments.

Shop around for everything. Internet, phones, insurance, loans, you will be suprised at how much you can save! I changed mine and DP's phone options, changed the home phone option and shopped around for cheaper insurance and save us $120 a MONTH.

When you DO start saving money, ensure you put it off a loan or into your savings account the minute you get paid! You wouldn't have had it anyway, so put it to good use!

#17 PaulineN

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:32 AM

Here are my ideas:

1.  Pay extra on the mortgage even if only $5 a week.  We have a redraw available so if desperate we would get it back.

2.  As for eating out - look for special deals - our local tavern has 2 meals for the price of 1 on Tuesday nights.

3.  Sell your unwanted stuff on ebay - I have some stuff in the cupboard that has never been used.  Even if you only sell something for $5 plus postage - it's $5 you didn't have.

4.  Look for bargains on ebay.

Pauline

#18 KathrynGordon

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

1.  When you or hubby get a pay rise - put the exact amount of the increase off your mortgage or into savings.  You never had this money before - so you won't really miss it if you put it away.

2.  When buying larger items such as furniture or white goods, always shop around for the best price, then ask the sales rep if that is the lowest they can go on that particular item.  Often they have a large profit margin to play with, so they can generally knock off another 5-15% off the price.  It is a bit embarrasing to start with as you feel so stingy... but it will grow on you when you see the money you can save.

3.  Always keep up with your vehicle services.  A major breakdown can be so costly, and a good mechanic can see problems coming before they occur, and take prevenative (and often cheaper) measures.

4. Just wanted to add.. swap clothes with a friend or sister or SIL that are of similar size.  It feels like you have a whole new wardrobe to choose from, and it costs you nothing.  Also, borrow dresses for that formal occasion ie weddings, balls), as formal dresses are often very pricey, and you won't feel guilty if you don't get much use out of it.

Edited by KathrynGordon, 08 December 2006 - 08:50 AM.

#19 wilding

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

1.  I use cloth pad's, saves buying them each month.
2.  I buy clothes/shoes when they come on special.  i.e when k-mart have their buy 1 pair of shoes get 60% off the 2nd pair, crossroads often have big sales aswell as other stores i go to.  I've never bought clothes at full price for either of us.
3.  I avoid going to the corner store for things, and buy them from the supermarket, or k-mart.
4.  We save all our silver coins in a coin box that you need a can opener to open it with (what money we save in there will go towards his 6th birthday next year in August).
5.  I also pay my phone and power each week.  With my power, i use to pay $20 a week, but got in credit just over $700 at the start of last year which they gave back, and now pay $10 a week which works out better.

#20 simoneh

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

Love this thread.
1.  Join a toy library - we pay $40 for the year and new toys every week, DS loves it and we then know what to buy him for Christmas and Birthdays.

2.  I buy brand name Kids clothes on sale, and I mean sale. After he has grown out of them I then sell them on Ebay in lots.  Sometimes for more than what I bought them for !(DS have cheaper clothes for play and the Brand name for weekends when we go out).  

3.  We also have a present box, where I buy things on sale and put away as gifts.

#21 seepi

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

1. Have a 2litre bottle of cordial made up in the fridge. Nice lime of lemon cordial is great, and way cheaper than fruit juice.

2. Buy whatever meat is on special, and then think of something to cook with it for that night.

3. Add a tin of lentils or chickpeas or some carrots or potatoes to your recipes to make the food go much further.

#22 mumto4monkeys

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

BUMP  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

#23 Eileithyia

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:00 PM

This is great girls, thanks, I like the idea of a present box! I have a stash of cards and wrapping paper but will definitely start getting gifts, I have a birthday book so I can check ahead and see who's birthdays are coming up so this might help to check whenever sales are on.

Also think I might open another bank account for savings and put 10% away!

#24 FionaM

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

fantastic ideas

keep them coming.

sorry i can;t really add anything to the list.

#25 helenc

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:03 PM

1.  Present box - something else to stick in there along with cards etc is a book of stamps! I buy a book of 20 at a time, and that way always have them on hand when I need to send a card.

2.  Old fashioned snail mail! - Its so easy to pick up a phone and ring someone who doesnt have the internet, but if they live long distance, it can be cheaper to write a letter. Besides, I always get a thrill when I receive mail that isnt a bill!

3.  Electricity - this is an obvious one but one that I'm hopeless at - turn off lights/appliances when not using them! This includes computer monitors and speakers.  I'm trying really hard on this one!

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.