What are your top 3 money saving tips?

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#51 lingy

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:00 AM

1. Budget, be accountable - think of yourself as a business ie: debits and credits and remember it must balance. wink.gif
2. Needs versus Wants - I always think to myself do i really need  that 9 time out of ten the answer is no!! wink.gif
3. Have a Goal - you must have a goal to save as it makes it more fun, ie: plan a holiday, plan for renovations, plan for xmas. Write it down so your committed to that goal, I know it sounds wacko but it has always worked for me wacko.gif

#52 ~MakkaPakka~

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

Larnie:  The lifeline at Forest Lake have the bonds stuff ect - They don't have a large range of baby stuff but they do get in every fortnight or so fredbare and osk kosh ect.

There is a big furnature shop for lifeline too (I think it is) at Sumner Park - last time I went they seem to have lost alot of their prams ect - but they have quite a few kids clothes (you do have to search though them though)  Also they have a section out the back with more furnature ect (where I have spotted some of the floor mats for kids rooms ect)

There used to be some great op shops in at wollengabba but I have no idea where they have gone now sad.gif

Amanda-Jane original.gif

#53 *~FairyWishes~*

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

Hiya original.gif

Most of mine are the same

Rechargable Batteries!! We bought one a few days ago, and a pack of batteries and we have slowly started to change them as they die (We ahve a heap of remotes) original.gif

#54 jadeh

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:42 AM

Menu plan/OAMC (once a month cooking)

Cloth nappies

Bicarb/vinegar for all cleaning

#55 Sentient Puddle

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

Most of ours have been covered - but at home our motto is
"Never pay retail" - this only works generally for big ticket items that we shop for on ebay, second hand stores or actually go to auctions for - both in person or online.

I also think that buying 2nd hand furniture - even antiques are often cheaper than buying new (that will date, are not good quality and need to be replaced in a few years) is a great way of minimising our footprint as well!

#56 prodigy

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:05 AM

1. Buy fruit and vege from your local weekend markets. It's direct from the farmer; so u know it's fresh and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. Our local market also has a cheap butcher that sells bulk meat a lot cheaper then the mainstream supermarkets.

2. I like the idea of the toy library.  I buy some toys second had - again at the markets. Last week I got a bag of 20 little people for $10. I thought that was a bargain considering you pay $10 for 3 brand new.

3. For big $ purchases research everything, the product, its cost etc. Then shop around, peg businesses against each other. ie. so and so gave me this quote - can u beat it?  I once got a dishwasher at below cost as it was the stores policy to beat any competitor by 10% no matter what.  I'd already got quotes from 3 different stores all beating each other on price.

#57 chloeandmaddison

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

Great tips;

We have a present/card/paper box as I tend to spend more when in a rush to buy presents. I also start looking for presents for family & friends a month before their birthday. Again, limits the amount of impulse shopping.

I shop after I've had breakfast or lunch. Stops me being humgry while I shop and packing the trolly with chocolate & chips  tongue.gif

From kmart/big w you can buy lickerty sips
LICKERTY SIPS
I got ours when they had 25% off anf they cost me $2.90 for the 4 pack.
Instead of buying fozen icypoles in summer, fill these with coridal or fruit juice even water and freeze. Kids love them and its a great way to get them to drink natural icypoles than the ones full of perservatives. You can freeze fresh fruits and juice too.

This probably only works for younger kids, they get cluey quickly... Rotate your kids toys. DD has so many toys I took a 1/4 that she's wasn't really interested in and put them in the cupboard. Then once a week I take 2 toys from the cupboard for her and put two more that she isn't playing with in there. She loves it, it's like giving her a new toy as they probably go for a month or two before it's rotated again.
If you have a friend with a child who is a similar age you can swap some toys too.

Make toys for your young babies. Bottles with Rice, pegs etc.. make great rattles. Make books with your kids from about age 2 up. Get cardboard and let them tell you a story. You write it down and they do the illistrations. Staple and cover staples with tent tape and they have their very own handmade book.

I make DH lunch 3 or 4 days a week and he buys it 1 or 2, saves us a heap of money from when he was buying it every day.

In WA shops close at 6pm or 9pm on a thursday. Shop towards the end of the day when they mark down bread/cakes etc...

Edited by chloes-ma, 31 May 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#58 shelly1

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

Take your kids to the shops with you!!  I find when I have the kids with me, I am more inclined to race around and get in and out as fast as I can and don't have time to browse. Today I could leave the kids with mum and pop to the shops, for bread, and came home $43 poorer  Granted, I got a few specials for my DD's birthday cakes next week, but probably other things I didn't *really* need.

LOL - I have to disagree here sometimes I take DD and I get so stressed I dont think about what I am buying and shove it into the trolley wtihout thinking - I also miss stuff out which I need to buy later.

My biggest saving tips are

To make and take my lunch to work and bring in coffee from home (saves a trip to the expensive work cafe)

Make a shopping list

Plan my bills in advance - for example look at when rego, rates, gas bills are due and save extra.

and

To make sure I save atleast some of my pay - regardless

#59 purplekel

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

1. Soft drinks and cordial are a huge waste of money. I only buy them for parties.

2. Instead of buying CD's we subscribe to an online music site where we pay about $30 a year for unlimited songs.

3. Only shop at markets for fresh food. The money you save is worth the extra effort.

4. Make as many meals from scratch as you can manage.

5. I get brand name kids clothes for a fraction of the original price - some with tags still on.
original.gif

#60 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

2. Instead of buying CD's we subscribe to an online music site where we pay about $30 a year for unlimited songs.

Where/what is this?  Sounds too good to be true ...

#61 whoha

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

Don't forget saving electricity by cut down heater useage:
1. open the curtain let the sunshine in, esp in bedroom, it will warm up your mattress for night time.
2. wear jacket and put extra blanket on at night instead turn on / up heater.
3. have a cuppa when you feel cold, it will warm you up
4. even go to your neighbour(whoes like to have their heater on all day).
5. go out get active under sunshine,  great excause to do excriese!

When you turn the oven on, try to put more thing in at the same time, when i have a roast in, i will try to bake a cake etc....  Elect. Oven suck up lots of elect. too!

Same as washing machine, always wait until you have a full load!

#62 *Mands*

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Where/what is this? Sounds too good to be true ...

I'd love to know the name of this site too  hands.gif

#63 ourgorgeous2

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:40 PM

Great suggestions,

Here's some from me:

Envelopes, try to reuse when you can. The ones you can't let the kids draw on them instead of expensive paper.

Instead of buying expensive dolls clothing for Baby Born or cabbage patch doll. Wait unti kmart or target have 25% of kids clothing. Babies size 00000 or 0000 fit these dolls at a fraction of the price

#64 Metropolis Girl

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

Fantastic Tips on here.  Many of which I use but won't repeat again.  

My tips:

1.  Credit Cards:  Yes they are evil LOL, but if you have one or two then don't just accept the rate you've been given.  We found this out the hard way.  Ring them up after say 6 months and threaten to leave them for another company.  And then watch them dance!

Seriously we had a credit card with one company and never thought to call them. Just kept on paying it off at a hideous rate.  I think it was about 16%.  After two years we had had enough and rang them to do a balance transfer to another provider.  And they dropped our whole rate there and then ON THE SPOT to about 4%. My DH was livid.  On the one hand we were happy and grabbed their new rate, but then felt sick as if we'd rung them a year earlier or so, we could have saved ourselves thousands.  That money could have funded a trip overseas or gone into the mortgage.  So threatening to leave/cancel has its perks.  When DH said why didn't you offer this to us before?  They said, Oh we don't normally give this to customers, this is because we want to keep your business.  We loathe that company now but the rate was too good to refuse.

Shortly after this ACA had a story on people doing exactly this, so we did it to every card we had, every insurance policy etc, and saved ourselves a small fortune.  Even our mobile phone company asked "Well what can we give you to keep you" and we got a better call rate and a free mobile each thrown in.  So if you don't ask, you won't get.

Even our bank cancelled some fees to keep our business!

Re: Insurance.  Ring ABC Insurance then ring 123 Insurer for a quote.  Then ring ABC back and tell them what 123 quoted.  I know people who do this (and we do too) and maybe after the 4th call back and forth they strike a deal.  The reps have margins they can play with and sometimes they are cheaper than doing online quotes or through one of those insurance comparison websites.  Always bargain on the phone before you buy.  

Also, don't just keep on paying your premiums every year with an insurer.  They will go up and new customers always get better deals than current customers -as they are trying to attract new customers.  Sometimes it is better to cancel or threaten to cancel and re-negotiate.  

Our Mortgage Broker told us that he re-finances his home loan at least every 3 years.  This guy works for a leading firm and has made a fortune out of property.  Sometimes he said it is cheaper to pay the exit fees and re-finance.  He proved this right when we did it.

Haggling was something I never felt comfortable with until I did it, and I realised that everyone can do it but they don't advertise that fact.  I don't feel shy anymore and I think if you don't ask you don't get.  I had nothing to lose but definitely gained.

#65 Cymbeline

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

Wow Mumonthego! They are awesome tips! Had never thought of those!
Sandy.  original.gif

#66 Guest_maziven_*

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

Those were some useful tips mumonthego. I saved them.
We find these tips are generally pretty helpful
1 write a shopping list for groceries and stick to it.
2 Never buy meats over $9.00 kg
3 barter the stores for larger items. I recently saved $100 by bartering for 2 items.
4 Take a bottle of made up cordial or water with us when we go out for lunch saves us $2.00

Edited by maziven, 05 June 2007 - 10:12 AM.

#67 GIO

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

1. Cloth nappies & wipes (will save us $10,00 with three children)

2. I have a $5 meat rule - we spend a max of $5 per dinner on meat - so if something is $8 - then it has to last two nights.  This way I don't worry about the cost of the other ingredients.

3. Clothesline not dryer

#68 trudy

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:27 PM

Actually look at how much you are paying in interest on your credit card. It is difficult to come to terms with but you are most often better off taking money from your savings or home loan additional payment and paying off your credit debt as the interest rate on your home loan is lower than your credit card.

If you have found yourself in some credit card debt, apply for a credit card with a 0% balance transfer rate and transfer your debt over but be careful, if you do this too often it shows on your history; and new purchases on the new credit card will have interest charged until you have paid off the balance transfer.
Pay the minimum on your new card and additional savings on your home loan or offset then at the end of the 6 months (or whatever period your card has) transfer the money from your home loan to the credit card to pay it off. You not only saved interest by paying 0% on your balance transfer you saved some interest on your home loan.

Trudy

#69 baby_number_3

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:45 PM

For those not good at saving money have extra tax taken out of your pay. What you don't see you won't miss and come tax time you'll get a nice lump sum to do something useful with. We have car rego in early Sept so we have extra tax taken out to cover this. We get out tax back in mid Aug which is perfect timing. But it would also be great for people who want to plan a holiday or other large purchase.

Always buy in bulk, I haven't bought washing powder in 6mths even with having a baby in the house due to bulk buying. Also use less than whats recomended on the pack more doesn't wash better it just pollutes our water ways.

Always buy clothes on the oposite season and as your kids get older it gets easier to buy even more than one size ahead. I bought jeans from myer 2years ago that only just fit my son now. But at $3.55 for $70 jeans I couldn't not buy them. I store all items in a tub and leave the tags on. If they never fit I pop them on ebay always making more than I bought them for. My kids are happy wearing brand name and my pocket is happy. I just bought there swimmers for next summer last week saved me aprox 80-90% than summer price. We also bought 2 pairs (one for now and one the next size up) of nikes for eldest son on sale for $30 a pair reduced from $125 a pair. Again hes happy he got brand name and I'm happy kmart brand would have almost cost the same.

We also have a present box. I also have an xmas box and on the outside of the box I write who I've bought for and what so I know whos left. That way you don't buy items for people you already have, helping to keep a bargin a bargin and not wasteful. I'm usualy done with xmas shopping by early Oct. Then from early Oct I start buying food/drink etc for xmas making a $10-20 a week purchase rather than a $500 shop the week of xmas.

We are planning on using the extra money from the top up payment from the government after tax is done (aprox $600 per child) to pay for gas conversion on the car. We figure its money we won't miss but the money we save each week will be great.

Great thread I enjoyed reading thanks original.gif

#70 miriams

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:02 PM

1. Buy some foods in bulk from Indian grocery stores - rice, wholemeal flour, beans, lentils chickpeas etc. Buy veges from places like Paddy's markets - got a whole box of corn for $5 this week.. Eat vegetarian food during the week and have a meal plan.

2. Buy secondhand clothes for kids (and yourself if you're not too picky)  - Vinnies are a bit smelly but Anglicare is usually pretty good. You can get some lovely clothes that normally I wouldn't pay retail for - Benetton, Laura Ashley dresses etc.

3. Avoid using the car as much as possible. Good for your health and your wallet. Of course, that necessitates living somewhere near public transport though. On average, we only really use it on the weekend and maybe once a week.

#71 ourgorgeous2

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

- This really only works is your kids are not old enough to realise what you're doing  laugh.gif
Kids love drinking for those pop-top bottles with disney/spiderman/bratz etc.. characters on them but to keep buying them is expensive. I bought two and emptied the drink into a jug for later. I refilled the bottles with cordial. That way you can just keep refilling them with cordial and not keep buying them each shop as the kids don't know they taste any different.

- Buy mince and freeze it. It's a great item to have when you've run out of everything else as you can have it with everything, on pizza, pasta, taco shells, on its own.

- always have a packet of large frozen veges in the freezer. Any cheap way of bulking up a meal when you're out of fresh veg.

- Always carry a calculator when you grocery shop. Its amazing how much you won't impluse shop when you see them $$$'s adding up infront of you.

- printing photos. Wait until Harvey Norman, Chemists or camera shops have printing specials. Oh local Chemist had 13c prints for two days only last week. I printed off 200 photos for $26.00 rather than $50.00 at 25c each.

- make your own wrapping paper & cards. If you have kids give them some blank butcher paper to do what they like with, draw, paint, finger paint etc... Grandparents, godparents, aunties etc... will love the handmade wrapping paper from the kids.

- In summer I buy cheap tissues. You are less likely to have a cold/runny nose and not need the softer ones you do in winter.

- Instead of buying expensive drain cleaners. Pour vinegar then bicard down the drain and watch it fizz, leave for about 10 mins then wash it down with a little hot water. It will clean the drain and remove smells.

#72 Natbub0610

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:33 PM

Hi

I do try to do alot of the ideas mentioned. The first tip is keep reading this post to get good ideas from other members.  wink.gif

1. Pay of CC balance each month, only have $1,000 limit, so touch wood, never paid interest or overdraw fees in 8 years. I also pay mortgage fortnightly, so if I pay extra $50 it all ads up on a 25year loan.

2. Budget and work out all bills due for payment, pay via internet or phone banking and allocate cash amount and only do 1 cash withdrawl. Also, use a credit union, cheaper fees but still have all the conveniences of major banks.

3. Buy in Bulk for meats and store in freezer in meal portions. This saves last minute impulse buying but I also found a fantastic butcher with good meats and good prices.

4. Use zip lock bags and always pack drinks and snacks for kids when going out. I started this not only to save money but because kids always get hungry at inconvenient times, hate the idea of parking, unbuckling, getting something to eat when I can just pass the some pre-packed snacks.

5. Cook double portions of meals, bulk up with grated vegies and freeze 1/2. Makes for a lazy dinner next time but also curbs the need to go and buy any extras. I always have ziplock bags of soup frozen.

6. Op shops, ebay, Freecycle and Cash converters/pawn shops and Flea markets or Carboots markets.
They often have items near new condition for fraction of the price. I also think twice about buying things for fear I might be giving it away on Freecycle in 6 months time. I never say no to hand me downs, have 3 girls, so I'm an easy target for hand offs but I also pass on when I'm finished too.

7. Started making my own cakes for DH and morning teas. Make my own chutney too and sell the rest of the jars to family and friends but it's way better than store bought stuff and everybody says they'd be happy to pay more for homemade chutney.

8. Buy big cooking pot at markets or 2nd hand or even borrow as a hand me down. I bought a 60Litre pot (or witches cauldron as neighbour calls it) and only paid $5, it had only been used 2x but I make something in it everyweek. I priced a new one last week and it was $90 eeek.

9. Bought a sandwich grill press on special. DH is a shift worker so I don't cook big dinners when he's not home. The kids love the toasted sandwiches, quick, easy and cheap to make.

10. Avoid take aways. Sometimes it takes just as little effort to create a meal as what it takes to get the take away and usually takes the same amount of time if I've got the right ingredients on hand.

I also joined 'Simple Savings' and am trying to do $21 for 1 weeks meals challenge. My cupboards are stocked with staples and I will try and make do with what I have. I find I waste a lot of money on incidentals when I buy extras that I think I need.

Sorry if I've repeated the ideas but I thought it was time to bump this post back to the top.

Edited by Natbub0610, 10 June 2007 - 11:35 PM.

#73 mistral

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:21 PM

We save a lot of money on household bills by not turning unnecessary lights on (we always go to the loo in the dark at night), rugging up during the day instead of putting the heater on, we donít own a clothes dryer, 4 minute showers, no unnecessary phone calls etc.  We try and get a lower bill every quarter Ė itís become like a game!  

We never get takeaway.

Buy presents on special in advance.

Keep receipts, especially for the kidsí clothes, and return things you donít end up needing or using.  

Only ever borrow money for things that are going to increase in value, ie home or investments.  Never for things like cars and household goods that depreciate in value - if you donít have cash for those things, donít buy them.  

Shop around for EVERYTHING Ė food, clothes, insurances, furniture, holidays etc.  Never pay full price!

#74 purplekel

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

The music website is MP3Rocket.com - I think its $18 American per year. Take a look - we're pretty happy with it!  original.gif

#75 ourgorgeous2

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

just bumping the thread. Such great ideas I'd hate it to get lost  smile1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.