Pet Loss Grief Support

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#26 morgansacre

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

I just wanted to add Annies name to the list of friends who went over the Rainbow Bridge.

Annie, who was an Aussie Bulldog, was PTS yesterday 4th Jan 2010. She was 11 months and 1 week old. She had been sick on and off for a few a weeks since we had her, but always thought it was something else....then the gap between the illness become more frequent and after surgery, and lots of tests and treatments, and no sign of any improvements, we took her on her last ride.

The vets think she had cancer.

We lost our previous Aussie Bulldog to cancer in Jan. 2008 at aged 8. It is heartbreaking loosing your two best friends to the same thing.

At least they are together and running free.....we love you both.

Lynn

Edited by morgansacre, 05 January 2010 - 10:59 AM.

#27 FPVmum

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

We are having our German Shepherd PTS tonight he is a month shy of 16, I am making the final arrangements for the pet crematorium, Going to be an extremely hard day for us today. Please keep Vlad in your thoughts as he makes his way across the rainbow bridge tonight.  cry1.gif

#28 Lib

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

So glad I found this thread.

My wonderful three-legged boy cat, Zeke, who we've had for 13 years is going to be PTS tomorrow. I can't stop  cry1.gif . He would sleep on our bed and come up to "hold paws" with me. However, he is very sick, has a large mass in his abdomen, the vet is pretty sure it is cancer, his lungs keep filling with fluid, and he hasn't eaten since Friday. I know it is time, but I can't let go.

#29 Future-self

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

This thread made me cry. I'm so sorry Lib.

#30 MoonPie

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

I am so sorry Lib, and will think of Zeke tomorrow. It takes so much love for an owner to let a furbaby go to rest.

I am still struggling with the loss of George. Those of you who read my topic about him just over a month ago will know I lost him on Christmas eve, he passed away due to probably heat stroke after I left him in the car for a few minutes. This isn't the thread to go into what an awful pet owner I must be, but I feel so conflicted trying to mourn him while having the burden of guilt. He was such a loving dog, DD's best buddy and my constant companion when DD was at her dad's, but I let him down. I sort of feel like I don't have the right to be sad when it was my actions that led to him having to be PTS. Its hard.

I'm glad this thread resurfaced, and I'm off to read those other sites.

#31 eeyoreangel

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi

I would like to add my baby please.

We had Gizmo (Maltese x sh*tzu) PTS on Wednesday 3 March 2010.  

I came downstairs on Wednesday morning and went to feed the animals (we had a cat and Gizmo).  Anyway Gizmo wasn't in his bed so I called out to him and he didn't come.  I went outside and found him sitting very weakly in the garden bed.  I went to pat him and sort-of had my hand around his chin and when I pulled my hand away there was blood.  I screamed and called for my DH and by the time he got downstairs and outside Gizzy had collapsed and was lying the in garden.  

We wrapped him up and took him to the vet - was on their door-step when they opened at 7.30am.  

The vet looked at him, they tried to get his temperature and oxygen saturation up (oxygen at 70%) - they had him in a humidicrib.  

The vet told me that he most likely had internal bleeding given the tar-like consistency of his bowel movements and when she listened to his chest it was very wet and rattling and she believed he was bleeding into his chest cavity as well.  She said they could do blood tests and an x-ray but that would only tell them if they could fix him.  But he was so weak she was unable to say with any certainty that he would make it through the tests let alone any treatment.  We don't know what caused him to get so ill so quickly.

After much crying and soul-searching I made the decision to say good-bye to my dearest companion.  Giz had been with me longer than DH or the kids, he was my child.  2 days later and I am still crying at any thought of him.  

Gizmo was 9 years and 4 months (closer to 5months) old.  

Thanks for listening.

Jill

#32 joykey

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

cry1.gif I'm so sorry, Jill.  Gizmo looked like such a beautiful little boy.

#33 twilightangel

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

As much as I wish I didn't have to, I'd like to add my beloved Laylah to the list.

Laylah passed away (PTS) on Tuesday the 8th of June at 8.50am.

Laylah was healthy etc last weekend and then on Monday DH and I noticed she had lost alot of weight and seemed lethargic and weak. We also realised then that she had been off her food since Sunday morning. We tried to encourage Laylah to eat and drink and spent some time just cuddling with her. I also made her a vet appt for the next morning.

Tuesday morning my mum came around to take the kids to school so I could take Laylah to the vets. When we went outside to see her she tried to stand and her back legs gave out. Laylah then rolled to her side and had a massive fit. I could see in my girls eyes that she was in pain, it was awful. After that Laylah was pretty unresponsive so I had to ask my neighbour for help to get her into the car as she weighed 40kg at her healthiest. When the neighbour lifted her she lost all control of her bowel and bladder. That's when I knew that I was going to lose her.

Once at the vets I was told she was flat and weak, dehydrated and slowly shutting down. It broke my heart but I decided to speed up the process for her, so she did not suffer. I was with her when she took her last breath, telling her how much I loved her and how much I would miss her.

The kids went and said there goodbyes the next morning before the crematorium people came to collect her. It was so hard seeing her again and her feeling cold. I miss her so much and seem to be crying all of the time. I know in time this will settle but at the moment it just hurts so much.

Talking to another owner confirmed what I had discovered on the net, my beloved berner, Laylah died of cancer. It is extremely aggressive and had claimed one of her dogs in the same way it claimed Laylah.

Rest in Peace my giant teddy bear, you will be forever missed and loved.

Edited by twilightangel, 10 June 2010 - 08:28 PM.

#34 carmich72

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

I lost my beautiful cat Soxi a month ago.  I had him for 15 years and am really not coping very well.  Maybe on the outside but not the inside.  I think our cattle dog pup roughed him up trying to play and hurt his hind legs (which weren't like they used to be already).  Then he could barely walk, vet put him on anti-inflammatorys.  The kids would cry watching him try to drag himself around.  I had to carry him everywhere to eat, toilet and sleep.  We just couldn't bare to see him like anymore so decided to put him down, hardest thing I have ever done.

He also didn't want to drink and when he passed he had blood in his urine, so he was probably sicker than we knew.

The vet was wonderful, even did it for free as he was "an icon" were the vets words.  He had been going there for 15 years after all.

Every night I torment myself with the what ifs (he had got better) etc.

Especially miss him sleeping on the bed and snuggling at night etc.

I know its just a cat as they say, but he was my baby and I loved him so much.

#35 PurpleNess

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

So sad to hear of everyones losses, especially those so recent, it brought so many memories flooding back, and a few tears. My heart goes out to you all. It's be 7 years since I lost my beloved Aztec, he was my best friend & my shadow. I had him cremated and said I'd spread his ashes but I still just can't bring myself to do it. I miss him everyday and still talk to him  now and again.  It's along story but after all these years I thought I was ready to get another dog so we agreed to foster one for a year as a trial, alas it was not meant to be after looking after the most wonderful gentelman for 3 months we too had to have him put to sleep after a tumor on his heart ruptured - so quick & devestating.  No more dogs for me, we now have 2 cats whom I adore and provide that love only a pet can.
Thanks for sharing your stories, I don't feel so silly for still missing my boy after all these years. Good friends are never forgotten. I know he's in doggy heaven running around on a beach covered in cats biggrin.gif .

#36 joykey

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

I don't feel so silly for still missing my boy after all these years.

hhugs.gif don't feel silly; the cat I grew up with was PTS 22 years ago and I still tear up thinking about her, even though I now have 2 darling kitties that my 2-legged girls and I adore.

My heart goes out to all of you; even though my babies are still young I dread the day sad.gif

#37 eigne

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (newmum2one @ 14/12/2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My little guy was suffering from cancer, the mass had gotten so big that it was obstructing his bladder & bowel & he no longer could or wanted to eat.

I miss him already so much & hope he knows that although at times he didn't receive as much attention as he should of that I really really did love him & he was very precious to me.

This is similar to my dog Ozzie. I only just found this thread, but I wrote a little about Ozzie here: http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=832702

We loved you so much gorgeous boy, 15/2/99 to 6/10/10.

#38 *littlemiracles*

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

So many sad stories and my heart goes out to you all. I lost my special boy on the 13th October 2010 and not a day goes by that I don't think of him and wish with all my heart he was still here with me.

Our dog was almost 11 and even though he had slowed down in his later years I thought we still had him for a good few years yet. He was a bit off 2 days prior to his passing - just very lethargic and happy to rest the day away. I kept an eye on him but he picked up in the arvo and by the next day was chasing his ball around and happy to be with his family (we were home on hols). The next morning he didn't want to come inside and was all trembly. I kept an eye on him and found he wasn't walking too well. Fearing a tick I rang the vet in a panic and they said to bring him straight in. I couldn't find a tick and was so worried about him. By that time he was struggling to breathe and his gums and tongue were a horrid grey colour. On arrival at the vet, he was rushed to be put on oxygen and his little heart stopped soon after. They were able to bring him back only to lose him again shortly after. He came back again and we had a lovely pat but because I had DD with me I had to go out as I didn't want her to witness this. He died shortly after and I was just in so much shock. Our vet offered an autopsy to find the cause as he suspected heart issues as he couldn't hear his heart beating at all when we brought him in. Turned out my special boy had a tumour growing in the blood vessel leading to his heart. He had probably had a small bleed 2 days prior and that day he had ruptured the vessel causing his heart to fill up with blood. My special boy held out for me until we got to the vets and thankfully we never had to make the decision for him to go - he did it for us. We did bring him home with us and he is buried out the back.

I have days of guilt when I think could we have done more - even though I know we couldn't have. The cancer he had was very hard to detect and so aggressive it is almost always fatal. I have days when I can't shake the memories of him being so sick - he didn't look in any pain that morning just sick and ready to go. I think I knew in my heart that morning that we were losing him. I have days when I can smile at the memories we shared in the 10+ years we were together.

I know my little mate is at Rainbow bridge, playing with friends we have lost before but that doesn't make me miss him any less. A piece of my heart went with him that day and he will always have that with him. Me - I just have some very special memories to think back on.

Thanks for listening to my story - it does help to get it all out and share. Take care of yourselves after the loss of a pet - they are a part of the family and the grief is very real.  Another website I found very useful was ourwonderfulpets.com.au - set up by Katrina warren after losing her special friends. Our vet mentioned this site and it has been very helpful.

#39 ~Fuzjuz~

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

RIP Kingston 26-10-2008 ~ 19-4-2011

2 1/2yrs old, gone to soon

cry1.gif cry1.gif cry1.gif  

#40 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. cry1.gif  That is way too young.

#41 ~Fuzjuz~

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 06/05/2011, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am so sorry for your loss. cry1.gif  That is way too young.

Thanks Spikey. Sadly, he got run over out the front of our dead end quiet street in front of my eldest who claimed Kingston as his own. cry1.gif He was distraught. sad.gif

He was such a loving, purring, affectionate boy. I miss him. cry1.gif

#42 twilightangel

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

I am so sorry for you loss, what a beautiful boy Kingston is.

#43 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:24 PM

So sorry for your loss. He was beautiful and just a baby still!

I hope that your eldest is coping ok.

#44 joykey

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm so sorry :'( I can only imagine how the hurt must be compacted by your ds witnessing the tragedy.

#45 ~Fuzjuz~

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Ladies. I love gingers. Dh does too. So another ginger it will be when we eventually get around to getting another kitten.

DS is ok. He didn't believe Kingston had died until I had to get him to look at his eyes. cry1.gif He picked out a pillowcase to bury him in, we cut some of his fur to go in our memory jar & said goodbye. sad.gif

#46 belbelchic

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:00 AM

I had to put my faithful friend, of 19years, to sleep today.

Muffy was starting to go downhil, december 2010, when she broke her back leg in 3 places, she had a steel rod inserted, it took a few months for the rod to be removed, however there was one bone that still hadn't healed, so april 2011, she had the rod removed, and a steel plate was put to help heal the bone that hadnt healed.

I was taking Muffy to the vet every fortnight for checkups. On wednesday 4th may, i noticed Muffy breathing heavy, like wheezing, I ended up taking her to the vet on the friday. The vet noticed her breathing and her heart sounded a bit muffled. The took her to the major clinic for x-rays.

On saturday i recieved a phonecall, one i didnt want to hear. The x-ray, showed a mass on one of her lungs, they couldnt determine what it was, so decided on doing an ultrasound. The ultrasound couldnt determine what it was, but it wasnt fluid on the lung, which could have been drained.

The vet said that the mass could be a number of things, absyss, cyst, collapsed lung, or tumor. The only way for the vet to find out, was to do surgery, which could have been risky, as they would have to open her chest cavity, the chances of her survival was low. Even is she did pull through the surgery, then there would be weeks/months of recovery.

The vet had booked Muffy in for the surgery on monday 9th May, i had a hospital appointment that day (7months pregnant), i really didnt want to be there. My mum called me to say that the vet had postponed her operation, and Muffy was comming home that night on antibiotics, and another pill to open up her lung bronichles (spelling), and that they would do the surgery on tuesday 17th May.

We had an appointment with the vet last thursday 12th May, the vet was happy how muffy was going, we discussed the surgery, and i thought it would be best not to go through with it, just to make her comfortable, and hope for the best, and let her live her life gracefully. Everything was going well, with her blood results too.

Sunday night 15th May, i noticed Muffy breathing badly again, you could see her struggling, Paul (DH) was with a friend for a few days, i ended up telling him Monday how badly Muffy was going. He came home straight away.

Monday 16th May Mum, Paul and I, discussed about what to do with Muffy, I didnt want to put her to sleep, yet I didnt want her to suffer. You could see her struggling her to breathe at times. I looked at her gums and they weren't the nice pinky colour, but a very pale white colour, I knew it wasnt a good sign. Yet her appetitte was good, i was always comming to a near empty bowl.

Muffy and I spent most of the afternoon of monday on my bed, there were times when her breathing was quiet, and i wondered if she had passed, but she was still with us. every 2 hours i was getting up to check on Muffy, I just couldnt sleep. All i could think of was my best friend of 19 years is leaving me, and i dont want that to happen.

I thought of an idea during the night, i put the vapouriser in her room, and hoped that it might help her breathe better, sadly it didnt work.

Tuesday 17th May, i had to make the hardest decision in my life, made an appointment with the vet at 5.50pm. I spent the afternoon again with Muffy on my bed.

Mum, Paul, DD and myself took Muffy to the vet, I let her sit in the front seat, we usually put her in the back of the wagon, but i thought for her last journey, she should be with us all, and not in the back.

The vet noticed her breathing had deterioated since he saw her last, he offered the operation, but we both thought she wouldnt pull through.

I knew i couldnt be with her when they put her to sleep, so i took a towel with us, with all our scent on it, so she could remember us. I didnt want her lying on a sterile table. The vet did ask if i wanted to be with her, but i just dont think i could of. We all said our long goodbyes, which was very sad, i couldnt stop crying.

Sadly at 6pm 17-05-2011, died peacefully, with DD by her side.

She was such a good cat, I found her when she was a few days old, just outside my bedroom window, she was such a good friend, and i feel privledged to have her pick me. She brought me so much joy into my life, but now she has gone

R.I.P Muffy

20-12-1991 - 17-05-2011

Always in our hearts

Here is one of my favourite pictures of Muffy, taken a few years ago

Here is a picture of Muffy with DD 23 February 2011

One of Muffy's last photos, taken 17th May 2011

#47 Guest_Zetetic_*

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

R.I.P Sparky our much loved guinea pig.You came to us for a short time but it was a good time.
17.12.2010 til 11.06.2011. Your friend Milo will be lost without you. cry1.gif

edited, because the year 1001 has been and gone a loooooooong time ago.

Edited by Zetetic, 11 June 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#48 Swan Lake

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

I put my beautiful baby boy to sleep on Wednesday after he injured himself trying to jump on my bed last Friday. He was around 15 years old, although I only had him for the past 11 years as he was a rescue dog. We wanted him to get better so much but he was too old for surgery and it was kinder to let him go gently than keep him here for me.

I feel so guilty because I never restricted where he could go so even as he got older I encouraged him to come sleep in bed with me after DH left for work.  If he hadn't have tried to jump, he may not have fallen and gotten paralysed. sad.gif  I miss him so much. I wish I could turn back the clock and stop his accident from happening.

I love you B. Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge. hheart.gif

#49 ohboy

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

Bucks 08/09/07 - 17/08/11

RIP Bucksey Boy, you are loved very much and will be missed forever.  We will always be lost without your V8 purr and your morning cuddles.

Mum, Dad, 6 Brothers and 3 Furry Pals
x x x x x x x x x x x

Edited by ohboy, 18 August 2011 - 12:04 AM.

#50 ~Mintie~

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

On Tuesday I had to say goodbye to my old "puppy" Charlotte. This is the first time I've had to depart with a pet that was my own (as opposed to a family pet when I was growing up) and gee it's hard. I had Charlotte since she was born as my parents used to be breeders, and after much begging they let me keep her. She was with me through so many crappy years, and then for many good years. She was the one constant thing in my life that I could always rely on. I miss her so much, as does the rest of my family including our other Cavvie Matilda. Poor Matilda is following us around everywhere and seems lost without her best mate.

Here is my beautiful girl Charlotte, R.I.P 01/11/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.