5 month old starting DC in late Jan - anyone else?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 raysofsunshine

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hi Girls

Just wondered if there is anyone else who is starting a little one at DC early next year who would like to join in for a stress out  :ohmy: /panic  wacko.gif /support  smile1.gif  thread!

I will be returning to work part time in the first week of Feb and Zac is starting at DC four days a week from the last week of Jan.  Zac will be 5 months old.

I always knew that I had to go back to work and lobbied early for a good place. In the end I think that I have the best centre in my area but still it feels werid.

I have been trying not to think about it but with five weeks to go I can't keep pretending that it isn't coming around way too soon.

Anyone else approaching the New Year with day care jitters and separation fears to boot? blush.gif

Leesa

#2 ~*jassy*~

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:58 PM

Hi Leesa

My DS will be nearly 5 months when I go back to work at the end of January, so yes only five or so weeks away!  :ohmy:  I've been on maternity leave since the beginning of August, so will have had nearly 6 months off by then.  

It seems like forever since I have worked, but now the weeks are going by so fast  :sad:  I have enjoyed being a SAHM, but on the otherhand, sometimes get a bit bored without that adult interaction during the day IYKWIM.  I will be going back to work full time, but hoping to do a day or 2 during January to get us both used to it!

The thought of someone else looking after Liam, comforting him, feeding him, etc. makes me feel so sad!  So yes, starting to stress out/panic/upset myself, etc etc.  

Good to hear you have a position in the centre that you wanted  smile1.gif   It should help a little knowing that your DS is in a great centre, but I know it will still be hard being away from him.  

Would love to hear from other Mums on how to cope with starting DC. Leesa - hopefully we can support each other, will be ready to send cyber tissues your way if needed :sad:  :wink:

#3 kimnkath

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

I now think that it's better to start earlier than at around 12-18 months when their separtion anxiety peaks. So don't worry.

#4 2bluepeas

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

I'm starting my Zac who will be 6 months in feb. He'll probably start mid feb. I'm very nervous! I'm also starting my 21 month old who has never been in care before either. They are going a few days a week for a few hours as I am returning to do my final year at uni after a long break. So I'll join the  'OMG what am I doing?!!' thread for sure!

#5 raysofsunshine

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:03 PM

Hi Jassy and Claire

It is good to hear that I am not the only one!

Jassy - I know exactly how you feel about someone else looking after him and caring for him.  Also too about being a little bored as a SAHM. Liam looks adorable.  Lets hope we can survive this together.

Claire - It really is a double whammy for you, I don't envy you at all.  What are you doing back at uni?

Zac is bf atm so I am going to start weaning his daytime feeds slowly from the new year.  I would still like to try and feed him in the morning and night for a while so long as my milk doesn't dry up.  

My head is swimming with things that I have to do...  but I have been waiting for the new year to get ready.  I think I am procrastonating (sp*?) wacko.gif

Leesa

#6 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

Hi, can i join, My DD will be starting mid Jan she will be 6 months.  I feel horrible just thinking about it.

#7 moodle

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

I'll be starting both my DDs in early Feb.

DD#1 is changing centres so she will need orientation too (has been at her old centre for nearly 2 years)

DD#2 will be 2 months when she starts, so I'll be a bit sooky about her too.

I'm going back to uni and luckily their centre is on campus.

#8 heidistar

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

Hi Ladies,

I am due to have my baby in Feb & will need to go back to work as soon as she has been immunised at about 8 weeks old. So i'm looking at putting her into FDC 3-5 days a week (depends if my sister can look after her a couple of days a week) from the begining of april :ohmy:

So can I join too?.....

Also I am a Diploma Trained Child Care Worker & also have been a FDCarer, giving me 6yrs experience in Child Care so I maybe able to answer questions & give support in that way too smile1.gif

Edited by heidistar, 22 December 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#9 raysofsunshine

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!  Guess it is time to start really thinking about it all - or should we wait till New Year? wacko.gif lol

Thought that I would do a bit of a list to help as all get to know each other (and to remember each others situation).  Hope this is ok...  if you would like to add something or take anything away let me know.  ATM I have just collected what I could from your post and sigs.

Bubs Starting Day Care - Support List

LJ* (Leesa) - Zac born 25/08/06
Starting 29th Jan - 4 days per week

*Jassy* - Liam born 04/09/06
Starting end Jan - full time

***Claire*** - Zac born ?/08/06 & 21 month old
Both starting Feb - 3 days per week

Atelier - DD born 16/07/06
Starting 22nd Jan - 3 days per week

Maraleigh (Tamara) - Niamh born 23/11/06 & Georgia born 05/07/04
Both starting Feb

Heidistar (Heidi) - EDD 09/02/07
Starting April - 3/5 days per week

Dons (Donna) - Gemma born
Starting 14th Feb - 3 days per week

Edited by LJ*, 30 December 2006 - 08:55 AM.

#10 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

Thanks LJ.

I cannot believe it is nearly the new year.  I am starting back at work 3 days from the 22nd Jan (feels worse now i have an actual start date).  I will be taking bubs in a week or so before so i can stay with her and see how she goes.

#11 Dons

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:10 AM

Add me to the list!!

I am returning to work on Feb 14th for 3 days. Gem is coming with me as I manage a child care centre but the thought still scares me!! I love being a SAHM but the finances don't lol

Usually sep anxiety starts around 9 months so we are lucky to start them now but thats not to say they won't get upset later on but at least they will be used to it original.gif

#12 heidistar

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

I am returning to work on Feb 14th for 3 days. Gem is coming with me as I manage a child care centre but the thought still scares me!! I love being a SAHM but the finances don't lol
I'm hoping that I find a new job in a CCC that has a position for my baby too :wink:  But i don't like my chances in Sydney. I think that it will be easier on me if my baby is able to attend the same centre, that way i can keep an eye on her & still be close by.

I have also thought about some Mummy-Nanny work, that way I can take my baby along with me.... Just not sure right now, it really depends on the  money situation wacko.gif

#13 ~*jassy*~

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hi everyone and Happy New Year smile1.gif

*LJ - the list is fine, I start work on the 29th also.

Welcome to Heidistar  smile1.gif and Dons  smile1.gif
Well, the countdown is on.  In less than 4 weeks I will be back at work full-time  :ohmy:  I also work in childcare (have for 10 years now) so Liam will be coming with me, although not in the same room.  I plan to keep breastfeeding at least once during the day, but have been building up a supply of EBM for the other times.

I have offered to work 1 or 2 days a week if I'm needed in the meantime, just to get me used to working again  wacko.gif  and to give Liam a chance to get used to being cared for by other people  unsure.gif (I've only been away from him twice - once when we went to see U2 and the other time was for my work xmas do)  Hopefully he settles in well.  It's a great centre, most of the staff are parents (or grandparents!) and have worked there for over 10 years...so I KNOW he will be well cared for.  Still makes me a bit  :sad: though.

Dons - it's getting spooky how much we have in common  :ohmy:  Liam was also due 19th sept, born on 4th - I also work in childcare - and I think you got married last year, we did too!   rolleyes.gif

#14 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

2 and a half weeks to go.  I am getting so worried i even have dreams about walking in there after work and not recognising my child  :sad:

#15 leilaj

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hi everyone,
The dread I feel when I think about sending my little girl off to daycare has forced me to stop lurking and actually post something in this forum!
My DD will be almost 6 months when she starts 2 days a week at the beginning of February. Now all I have to do is get her to accept a bottle so she doesn't starve  :sad:

Leila..

#16 mumfirst

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

Hi ladies,

Can I join too? unsure.gif

DD will be going into DC shortly (just have to find a job - another story LOL). Currently DS goes to DC 4 days a week and loves it. He started going to DC for 3 days a week when he was 5 months old. DD will be going at least 4 days a week but probably 5 days :sad:.

I can't say Im happy about it :sad:.

Looking forward to chatting.

Nicole

#17 raysofsunshine

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

Hi

Sorry I have been MIA.  I'm one of the optus users that are still having trouble getting into EB.

I have updated the list.

Atelier - Oh two weeks...  you poor thing.  Sounds like your dreams are not helping.  When is your orientation?

Dons - Welcome!  I know what you mean about $$$ - not working has been a bit tough on the finances.

Heidi - Only 37 days to go!  Are you in a due in group? Incase you are MIA and then we can find all the details?

Jassy - So we will both be sitting here crying on the 29th? I think I am going to only do a short day with Zac that day...  just to ease me into it all.  You and Dons do have lots in common!

Leila - Wow your first post!  Welcome to our little group of CC scardy cats.  When are you going to start your DD on that bottle?

Nicole - Welcome.  I love your sig.  It is beautiful.  What sort of work do you do?  There seems to be lots of jobs atm - goodluck.

As for me I have started weaning my daytime feeds.  I am doing it slowly like they recommend in the Baby Love book and dropping my two day feeds over the next four weeks.  It is just not possible for me to express at work.  I really hope to continue bf for his morning and night feeds.

I have my orientation on the 15th - it is only for an hour.

Like you Jassy I have only left Zac twice and both times it was with my DH...  I am so freaking out about leaving him.

How is everyone else going?

Leesa

Edited by LJ*, 08 January 2007 - 08:01 PM.

#18 mumfirst

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for adding me to the list Leesa...I loved my old sig too but it is time for a new one because Lily is 4 months old now :sad:. The new sig isn't to bad though. I am a lawyer by trade but really want to get into a government position. I don't particularly like working in private practice and whilst I have a job (im on maternity leave), I really don't want to go back there. It's defiantely a male orientated role.

I am looking for some jobs now but given the Christmas period has just ended there isn't really too much out there atm. Hopeing something comes up soon.

Leesa, I weened Byron to day and night feeds when I went back to work. I really want to continue feeding Lily EBM when I go back (I just hope there is a place to express).

The cc that my kids go to is excellent with a long waiting list. I am completely happy with the carers in the babies room. I just wish I didn't have to leave her for 5 days. 3 I can handle but 5 :sad:. I guess we will see what happens.

I am going to leave her for 1 day a week shortly because she really is a mummy's girl and I want to know that she is doing ok before I go back to work.

OK enough from me LOL.

Looking forward to chatting.
Nic

#19 raysofsunshine

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

Oh there are so many things going through my head right now!

First of all Nicole, the gov jobs have so many benefits, I hope one comes your way very soon.  I ummed and ahhed about trying to express at work but in the end I knew it would be too hard so weaning his daytime feeds it my only real option.

I have been thinking about what Zac needs for DC...  the centre provides nappies and food (for when he is older)sunscreen and on the form it says we should take-:

Sheet set
Change of clothes
A hat (is this really needed for our little bubs)
piece of fruit (not sure if this is really needed either at this age)
bottles of milk

Can anyone think of anything else that they think would be good?  I have a little comfort bear that I have been putting to bed with him so I think I will add that....  I really have no idea if I am missing anything important....  HELP!!!  lol : )

Leesa

#20 mumfirst

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hi Leesa, does Zac have a dummy or a favourite blanket that he likes? DS used to have a blankie so I got another and left one there for him. My DC provides sheets and nappies (clothe) for babies. LOL they also undress them in summer and put kindy singlets on them so their clothes don't get ruined smile1.gif. We don't have to provide bibs or anything either. Do you have to take bibs?

#21 heidistar

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

Heidi - Only 37 days to go! Are you in a due in group? Incase you are MIA and then we can find all the details?
Hi yes i'm in a due-in group it is the 16-28 Feb 07. When i first found out I was pregnant i though i was due 40 weeks from when i fell preg (not 40 weeks, from my last period LOL), so i just stayed in that group. Plus i didn't mean to be MIA.... DH's with optus broadband too & haven't been able to get onto EB on his comp, so i'm now on my comp upstairs using optus dial-up (no probs here with EB???).

Things for baby at daycare:

* A few changes of clothes

* A few of your own bibs, especially if teething

* The "Hat" is important as CC have strict sun safety rules that they have to adhear to & it's always good to get them use to hats from a young age.

* Any special toy, blanket, dummy etc

* your own nappy rash cream... some chn have  reactions to diffrent types that the centre may have.

* nappies, again some chn may have reactions to the cheeper nappies that the centre uses (try them out first :wink: )

* The "Fruit"... well i guess you could argue that one if all your baby is having is their bottles.

As for me: I'm now considering finding a Mummy-Nanny position working for a family in their home. I have posted on this before, but was looking at doing it from my house... after thinking about all the legal obligations I have decided that if that's what i do then i will go to their house. If i do look for a CCC job, then i only take it if i can enrol my baby in the centre too.

Some good sites i found for finding a Mummy-Nanny or Babysitter: http://www.findababysitter.com.au/ & http://www.gumtree.com.au/
maybe a good idea for some of you who are really worried about CCC.... A Mummy-Nanny costs a lot less perhour then a regular Nanny as they bring their own child/ren along to care... Going rate is about $14.00 per hour

Anyway chat soon  smile1.gif

Edited by heidistar, 04 January 2007 - 11:07 AM.

#22 slummymummy

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hi Girls
I am starting back at work on the 15th four days a week. DD will be five and a half months old. She is staying home with DP, but I still feel guilty, so do I qualify for joining this thread? Please, please, please
To be honest, I would prefer to stay at home with her, but DP's health has been up and down, and I can earn the most money.Maybe we can call it the working mother's guilt forum. LOL
I am so glad to know that other mums are going back to work when I am.
Cheers
Lisa
PS Hi Atlier

Edited by MollyMoosmum, 04 January 2007 - 12:42 PM.

#23 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

Hi Lisa  smile1.gif

I haven't been told about orientation, i was going to go in on the 15th to see them anyway as i don't have details about costs or what to take.

Well my little darling is sitting unassisted and has started crawling properly and pulled herself up for the first time yesterday so she is getting all her milestones in before she goes to creche, she also had a nasty bang on her head today trying to pull herself up and fell she is going to have a bruise, i feel horrible but i am sure she will have many more bumps and bruises now she is on the move.

#24 ~*jassy*~

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hi girls  smile1.gif

Welcome to all the newies  smile1.gif  The more support we can offer each other, the better!

atelier how exciting, your DD pulling herself up.  It's lovely to see them grow and achieve new skills.  I worry about missing out on seeing all the little "firsts" IYKWIM

Mollymoosmum Welcome!  I love the little pic in your sig, they grow so fast, don't they...

Heidistar great list of things to take!  I think you covered it all.  You must be getting excited, not long to go now...

Leesa my centre supplies food also, but most of the the littler bubs bring their own until they start trying more foods.  Also, we supply sipper type cups for water for the older babies, each baby has their own, but some parents prefer to bring their own if their bub likes a certain one. Maybe check with your centre for down the track...

mumfirst hope you find a job you like.  You might know what to expect when Lily goes to care, having been through it with Byron.  Still, I know it will be  :sad:

Us We went for a visit yesterday, I left Liam in the baby room for about 1/2 hour while I checked out our centre (just had some renovations done) He was great, couldn't stop looking around and watching what the other kids were doing.  Didn't even seen to miss me  :sad:   I'm trying to organise CCB, but have to wait while they send the forms out.  Was hoping to do it all over the phone, but as we haven't claimed anything before, have to do all the paperwork...

#25 lil'rachel080306

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if I can join this thread? My DD is starting Daycare in March and she will be 12 months.

I actually feel ill just thinking about it. Especially as she has just started extreme clingyness to me in the last week or so.

I really didn't expect to feel this way and I really wish I didn't have to go back to work now. Luckily I'm working part time, but my job is demanding with long hours and I am studying part time too, so I'm worried about spending so much less time with my DD.

Ok, I've just thrown a massive pity party for myself  ph34r.gif so will stop rambling!! Glad to know there are others facing the same dilemmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.