5 month old starting DC in late Jan - anyone else?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#26 raysofsunshine

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

Bubs Starting Day Care - Support List

LJ* (Leesa) - Zac born 25/08/06
Starting 29th Jan - 4 days per week

*Jassy* - Liam born 04/09/06
Starting 29th Jan - full time

***Claire*** - Zac born ?/08/06 & 21 month old
Both starting Feb - 3 days per week

Atelier - DD born 16/07/06
Starting 22nd Jan - 3 days per week

Maraleigh (Tamara) - Niamh born 23/11/06 & Georgia born 05/07/04
Both starting Feb

Heidistar (Heidi) - EDD 09/02/07
Starting April - 3/5 days per week (or maybe becoming a Mummy/Nanny)

Dons (Donna) - Gemma born
Starting 14th Feb - 3 days per week

Leilaj (Leila) – DD born August
Starting early Feb – 2 days per week

Mumfirst (Nicole) – Lily born 28/08/06 & Byron born 27/09/03
Lily starting soon – 5 days & Byron already attending (started at 5 months)

Molly Moosmum (Lisa) – Molly born ??/08/06
Returning to work 15th Jan – 4 days (Molly staying with DH)

Lil’rachel080306 – DD born ??/03/06
Starting March – full time

Updated to add new members.

#27 raysofsunshine

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

Nic - that is great about the kindy singlets - not sure if they do that will have to wait for my orientation day I guess.  Oh yep dummies - I forgot those.  Thanks

Heidi - Thought we should check about the DIG, you ticker is moving along so fast and I hate missing out on any baby news! :biggrin:   The mummy/nanny thing sounds good - hope it all works out for you.

Lisa - You sure can join in - it is all about support and you will be going through exactly the same separation issues as the rest of us.  You will just have to ignore all our CC chat.  

Atelier - Oh wow that is so great about the milestones....  I am so jealous.  I am so scared on missing all of those things!  Maybe I will make a deal with the carers not to tell me and then eventually he will do then when I am there and I will "think" I am the first to see them!  Gosh I am crazy! rolleyes.gif

Jassy - Sounds like your visit went well.  I have just filled out my CCB forms - gotta sent them in asap.  I love your new sig, Liam looks so cute!

Lil'rachel - Welcome, I think this thread will be a bit of a pity party on more than one occasion.  You may find that things are a little different for you DD cause she is a bit older and the separation issues are there - I am sure that the girls with CC experience will be able to help you.

Well I am finally back on EB - for the time being - the optus problems have been so bad.

Thanks for helping with the list....  I have added bibs, toothy gel, dummy and rash cream to my list.  I found this lovely little denim bucket hat in B&L that I am going to try on Z next week so I will add that in too.

I had to go into work yesterday - it was only the third time that I have left Zac...  it was ok cause he was with his daddy.  It felt so strange to have so much independence again.

Does anyone know what they will do with my catnapping little boy?  I have been leaving him to protest lately and he gets himself back to sleep but sometimes he does have trouble with selfsettling....  will they follow my lead?

Leesa

#28 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

LJ - no not crazy i was thinking the same i wouldn't want them to tell me when i miss a milestone as i want ti think i have been the first to see it  laugh.gif   I also don't know about naps my bubs is aso a catnapper but also one who will only nap on my lap and not in her cot, yesterday she refused to have any sleep all day  ohmy.gif   Oh well i am sure they have seen it all before.

Hi everyone else, i just had to buy some new uniforms as my other didn't fit anymore now i realise it is not far away at all until i go back to work  sad.gif

#29 mumfirst

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

RE milestones - When Byron started at 5 months they made a point of not pointing out milstones unless you mention it. That way, you think you are the first to see it which is great smile1.gif. I don't think he did any of his milestones first at kindy (it is good to have a name for 'childcare' - we have called it kindy from the start...its better then cc).

#30 heidistar

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

hey girls,

MollyMoosmum/Lisa:It's fine with me if you join, although DP is going to care for your bub. I can see how you might still be worried about that unsure.gif

Milestones: That is a worry also, but you'll find most CCC will not tell you about something unless you mention it first. It may be a good idea to tell them that you don't want them to tell you, unless you mention that you have seen them do it first. I once had a Day Care Mum (when i was doing FDC) to "Push her baby over, if she started walking whilst at my house"  happy.gif LOL

Naps/Sleep: CCC really do try to work with your home routine, especially in the babies room. However you will proberly find that after a few weeks they tend to fall into the centres general pattern/routine. I have always found that chn soon start to do as the other chn are doing, even at under 12mths of age.

Name of our thread: perhaps we should change it to "Babies starting Day Care in early 2007" #1, #2 etc (like the due-in groups). What do you think??? That way we'll be able to find it easily & they won't get too long before starting a new one. I'm happy to start the first one if your all happy with that?

#31 Obesa cantavit

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hi.

My girls (3 yrs and 10 mths) will be starting CC on MONDAY  ohmy.gif
My 3 yr old has been in care 2 days before her sister was born. Trouble is she cried everyday I left her and for the first 8 mths everytime I picked her up! She was at a work based centre which made it much easier on me as I used to "take her to work" with me. She was 11 mths when she started. Due to this she has been going to the new centre one day for the past 6 week and loves it! Mind you she thinks it is the directors "house"  Tounge1.gif

What Im really stressed about is DD2. I have never been away from her more then 3 hrs. She is bf, and I can express at work but I am a terrible expressor and usually only get 20mls in one sitting. She is on 3 feeds a day so only needs one . Im working Mon and Fri so was thinking of just giving her diluted cows milk on those days at midday and hoping she will play catchup the rest of the week?? Trouble is I have to do 2 weeks full time training!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Im just shaking thinking about it and its MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the long vent. Its just so close and Im so worried about her. I really didnt want to go back till she was 12 mths at least but I have moved state, and in my line of work part time positions dont come up too often so its now or never so to speak!!

#32 heidistar

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:26 PM

Hey Girls,

I thought what the hell & went ahead & just made the new thread anyway.

Here's a link: http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index....howtopic=311773

#33 raysofsunshine

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

Atelier - I hear you, on the sleep issues.  I had a total breakdown prior to Xmas and finally got in some help after several days of about 20mins sleep during the daytime.  It was the best thing that I did.  Zac still isn't great at sleeping but he really has improved. I still worry about him at CC cause the last thing that I want is to collect an overtired and grumpy baby cause he hasn't had any sleep - I want the little time that I get to see him to be happy.  

Nic - That is great about the milestones.  Yep I should start calling it kindy....  or even joeys (that is the room for the babies) - how cute.

Heidi - To be honest I am happy here atm.  What does everyone else think?  I didn't want it to be a real buddy group cause then they might move it to the BG section and then it would make it hard for newbies to find us.  

Lisa - Welcome....  Oh Monday you poor thing.  Please let us know how it all goes and if you are ok?

Oh gotta go having a family dinner tonight before my dad leaves to go home to Singapore  sad.gif

Leesa

#34 ~*jassy*~

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

Hi everyone  original.gif

lil'rachel080306 Welcome! Sounds like you'll have a double whamy - working and studying!  Must be hard if your DD is being clingy too...

atelier OMG - uniforms!!!  I didn't even think of that!  Have to dig mine out of hiding...

heidistar I'm happy to stay on this thread for awhile...

~*~Lisa~*~ Welcome!  You poor thing - Monday!!! I hope it goes well for you all.  I'm planning to keep bf at work, but it will be easier for me as I work where Liam will be going.  I have been stockpiling EBM in the freezer, so Liam can have 1 or 2 bottles of it during the day and I can feed him on my lunch break.  I found that when I first started expressing I would only get about 20mls also, but over a week or so it increased.  Now, most mornings I get about 60-80mls after his first morning feed, then 20-30mls after other feeds.

LJ* Love your new sig  wink.gif  Zac might surprise you and get into a good routine at CC.  I know Liam can get a bit out of routine and overtired when we are out and about shopping, etc. etc. You might find that it's a bit more consistant and he will get to know what to expect IYKWIM  Hope you have a lovely family dinner  original.gif

Us got the CCB form sent out by FAO - and it's the wrong one!! Was going past Centrelink and thought I'd drop in and grab the right one, but it was absolutely packed.  So had to ring again, got transferred twice as they didn't know what to do.... GRRRR

#35 heidistar

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

Thats fine ladies biggrin.gif

#36 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:44 PM

Hi girls,  

Lisa - Good luck for Monday, it's fine for you to vent, my bubs is formula fed, i would not have anywhere to express at work anyway, i hope you manage to get a good enough stockpile, are you able to have some regular breaks to feed?

LJ - Glad i am not the only one that has sleeping issues, the last three days where she has refused to sleep all day have been very exhausting and the house looks horrible, also now she has started crawling i need to keep the floors clean, not easy to do when she will only stop crying if i am playing with her all day long.

Nic - I agree with LJ what a good idea to have a name other than cc.

Jassy - I hope your uniforms fit as it was horrible realising how many dress sizes i have gone up, especially since i lost most of the pregnancy weight but gained alot more sitting on my butt 6 months.  I haven't filled out any Centrelink forms i better check with the CCC to see what i need from Centrelink.

#37 bctm

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

Can I join this forum too? My DD starts daycare at the end of Jan 2 days per week. I am absolutely dreading it - she will be 5 1/2 mths old. My DS is already at the centre those 2 days and he loves it and the centre is the best you could ask for but I still feel like I am deserting her by putting her in daycare so young. My DS did not start daycare until he was 12 months old and the first 6 months were a nightmare - so many tears from both sides. The reason DD is going into care is because I am unwell (cancer) and too sick to look after her due to my treatment. I am so torn up about putting her in care but know I am not well enough to look after her on my own (I have had to organise a nanny for the other 3 days but it does not pay to have a nanny for the 2 days that DS is in care so we decided to put DD in care those days too)

#38 raysofsunshine

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

Lisa - How did you go today?  Thinking about you and hoping that it wasn't too hard.

Jassy - Zac is in a good routine except that he doesn't sleep in the sleep part!  Tounge1.gif  lol   I have heard that it helps when they go to CC and I hope they are right.  You reminded me I really need to send in my forms...  tho the amount we get back is hardly worth it.

Atelier - I know how you feel...  the no sleeping thing is really stressful and if your DD is like Zac then by late afternoon he is beyond cranky.  Lets hope that Jassy is right and CC helps.  I don't have a uniform but I feel exactly the same about clothes - nothing fits!!!

bctm - Welcome... sorry to hear that you aren't well.  I think that would make it even harder.  I know that my centre is really good too but it doesn't stop me from worrying - alot!

Hi to everyone else - how are you all doing?

Oh the weeks are slipping by!  I am hunting for a kindy bag for Zac atm...  I'm steering clear of cartoon ones for fear of introducing commericalism too early   rolleyes.gif  can't find anything I like....  but I'm too fussy! lol

Leesa

#39 lil'rachel080306

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

LJ & *Jassy* - thanks for the welcome!

BCTM - my heart goes out to you. I had cancer 5 years ago and it was hard enough going through that without children to care for as well. I hope things go well for you.

Well, I finally went at looked at a Childcare centre today which has vacancies. It seems pretty nice but I think it is a very large centre, maybe some with more experience would know?? It caters for 90 kids with space for 30 kids in the 0-2 age.

There are another two I'm gong to see which have vacancies and that is about it (as I left it so late to organise....story of my life!!)

Look forward to "chatting" with you all.

#40 heidistar

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

30 babies OMG ohmy.gif ! that is alot of babies in one room... I have worked in a room with 15 babies (0-2yrs) & it got pretty hetic sometimes, even with 3 staff.

Personally i think a centre that only takes 5-10 babies (0-2yrs) is better. But then again it depends on the centre & the staff that work there.

#41 slummymummy

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

I agree with Heidistar. I would be asking about the baby to staff member ratio and I would also drop in unexpectedly to see they really keep to the ratio, but that's just me!

#42 lil'rachel080306

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

Heidistar / MollyMoosmum thanks for your comments. I thought it seemed like alot too! They said they have a ratio of 5:1 in that age group, currently they have 26 kids in the room.

I have two more centres to check out so hopefully they might be abit smaller. I'm really thankful I only need to send her to daycare for 2 days, I don't think I could handle the (my) stress otherwise!!!

#43 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

Hi,

Having nightmares again  sad.gif  i hope they stop once she starts CC.  I bought her a Dorothy the Dinosaur backpack for CC today.  I need to start getting things together now as Monday she will be there for a couple of hours so she can get to know the carers and the environment.  

Has anyone been asked to take sheets?  I have not been given a list at all so i am taking so far tin of formula, bottles with boiled water, dummies, change of clothes, nappies.  Is there anything else i need?

#44 heidistar

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

Hi,

atelier: I would call the centre & ask what you sould bring to day care as they are all diffrent & all require you to bring diffrent things original.gif

#45 raysofsunshine

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hi Atelier

Just wanted to post a quick one and let you know that I am thinking about you and your DD - good luck tomorrow with the trial day - I am sure everything will be perfect - let us know how you go!

BTW - have a look at my other topic which gives us all some positives to focus on!

I have orientation with Zac tomorrow but it is only an hour and Dh is coming too.

Hope everyone else is well!'

Leesa

#46 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

Well DD has been at creche for a few hours and i am about to pick her up soon.  She is refusing to have her naps for them which is what she does with me too, otherwise i think she is going ok, i have had my cries.

I got some housework done and should get the rest done tomorrow when she goes for a few hours again.  I need to get the house in order before i go back to work.

I really thought i would never feel this bad with her going to creche but after never leaving her anywhere before i feel horrible.

#47 heidistar

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:31 PM

atelier: Well done on your first day of creche!!! It will become easier for both you & your DD the more she goes.

#48 Guest_atelier_*

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

Well it went ok they got her to have a 30 min nap.  She had an accident but is fine only cried when it happened she dived on a toy and split the inside of her lip so now i know what the accident book looks like  sad.gif

#49 ~*jassy*~

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

Atelier  *sending hugs and tissues your way*  original.gif  wink.gif

I used to think the Mums that cried when they left their babies for the first time were getting a bit carried away...  BUT!!!!

Now that I'm a Mum myself - I know how it feels!!!  Your poor DD - but these things happen... Hope tomorrow is a better day for you, and your DD has a good day too.

Leesa Hope that Zac had a good day with his orientation - tissues here if you need them  wink.gif

#50 raysofsunshine

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

atelier - Oh what a first day! How is her little lip?  Guess we are starting on a whole new world of bumps and bruises  sad.gif  Is she there again today?  

Jassy - Thanks for asking about the orientation.  It was fine  mellow.gif Met the leaders, did a full tour, learnt what do to each day.  There are some real positives like they supply all the sheets, make all the food (even fresh fruit and vege mush), supply the bibs, they were very friendly and supportive.  I make it through the entire visit till I got to the carpark and disolved into a pool of tears....  I am such a sooky la la.  I am so dreading the next few weeks.

The only other thing that got under my skin was that they have had a price rise and "forgot" to tell us - another $7 per day! Bugger! there goes my money that I had allocated to getting a cleaner  mad.gif

Leesa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.