Breastfeeding and Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bakerzinc

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

I love chocolate but have read in several forums that a lot of b/f mothers say to avoid eating it while breastfeeding.  Can someone tell me what the negative effects to a baby are?  Does it cause wind or upset tummies?  Thanks.

#2 C Maree

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

It can effect some babies but not others. I ate rich dark chocolate whilst BF and no problem! Apparently the antioxidants in dark choc are good for you. The caffeine (a stimulant)content is the problem (if you have lots). I avoided my coffee if I ate chocolate.

Edited by Tiffysmum, 11 January 2007 - 09:09 PM.

#3 Expat

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:57 AM

Apparently the theobromine in the chocolate can loosen up the sphincter at the top of their tummies, and make reflux/vomiting worse. But it  doesn't affect my child at all.

http://heartburn.about.com/cs/causes/a/heartburncauses.htm

#4 Etcetera

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:47 AM

It can also give them diarrhoea.

#5 Guest_Ameliabarrett_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

It doesn't seem to affect my bub! However, some mothers do notice that it affects their babies.
I would try eating small amounts, and see if there is any problem with bub afterwards - eg diarrhoea, farty windy problems, colic, difficult to settle, etc. If there is, and you stop chocolate and it goes away, then you are one of the unlucky ones!  biggrin.gif  If it doesn't affect bub, I wouldn't worry about it, just try not to eat truckloads.

#6 nayjay

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:29 AM

The midwives told me everything in moderation.  However, I soon found out that chocolate (and dairy) was a big fat no  sad.gif for our bubba.  He gets extremely unsettled, screams, vomits and has massive wind problems whenever I eat it.

#7 ~Simply*Blue~

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

I found that when I first started feeding for like the first 2 months or so I really had to watch what I ate, but now at 4 1/2 months I can pretty much eat whatever and he is fine with it.

I guess in the beginning when their digestive systems are still brand new you have to adjust what you eat to suit them, but over time it becomes more mature and can handle more.

#8 bakerzinc

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for all replies. I am using trial and error on everything I eat at the moment because I am having huge probs with DD2 being unsettled and lower abdominal pains.

Tiffysmum, I love your signature pic!

#9 Sassenach2

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

It is one of the breastfeeding myths, that you cannot eat chocolate, along with another myth that if you are fully breastfeeding you won't become pregnant. Maybe your bubs is not draining the first breast, because the breastmilk comes in two parts - the fore milk and the hind milk. The fore milk is a thirst quencher and has a lot more lactose in it than the hind milk, which is creamier and has less lactose, and sometimes little bubs who only drink a small amount from one side, are not draining your breast, so they are not getting to the creamier milk which settles tummies. so just check if you bubs is doing this, and if he/she is not draining the first breast, put him back there next time. But keep eating chocolate. bbaby.gif

#10 Prizzy

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

Some babies do have reactions to certain foods but the fact is breastmilk is affected only by what passes into your bloodstream, not what is in your stomach. There is no cross over between the two.
If you do find that your baby is reactive after eating chocolate, it may be the caffeine.
Just as an aside, fully breastfeeding mothers that aren't yet ovulating can't become pregnant.
Here is some info from Kellymom for you OP.
Exclusive breastfeeding has in fact been shown to be an excellent form of birth control, but there are certain criteria that must be met for breastfeeding to be used effectively.

Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy as long as all of the following conditions are met:

Your baby is less than six months old
Your menstrual periods have not yet returned
Baby is breastfeeding on cue (both day & night), and gets nothing but breastmilk or only token amounts of other foods.
Effectiveness of Birth Control Methods
Number of Pregnancies per 100 Women
Method Perfect Use Typical Use
LAM 0.5 2.0
Mirena® IUD 0.1 0.1
Depo-Provera® 0.3 3.0
The Pill / POPs 0.3 8.0
Male condom 2.0 15.0
Diaphragm 6.0 16.0
* Adapted from information at plannedparenthood.org.
See comparison of effectiveness for birth control methods for more information.

#11 Mamabug

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

I have a reflux bub who is one tomorrow (sob) and even now I cannot have more than a little chocolate or she is crying and unsettled. Especially at night.

It took trial and error to work this one out - but after having an ultra choc cornetto three nights in a row I eventually worked out what the problem was. I stopped eating them and she was fine. I had them again another couple of nights and she was carrying on again.

My theory is trial it and see if affects your babe!!!

#12 witchesforest

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

i think eating lots of chocolate is essential for my baby...and for me.  

as a responsible mum, that's what i've been doing since before she was born.  she is made largely out of chocolate and her BFing has been the way i've kept the kilos off since she was born, so i do see the two things as very closely related.

#13 Elaine Benes

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (witchesforest @ 23/11/2009, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think eating lots of chocolate is essential for my baby...and for me.  

as a responsible mum, that's what i've been doing since before she was born.  she is made largely out of chocolate and her BFing has been the way i've kept the kilos off since she was born, so i do see the two things as very closely related.

roll2.gif roll2.gif roll2.gif  

#14 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

Uh oh... <as she looks at the vast array of empty chocolate wrappers in front of her while remembering the breastfed baby's screaming that has gone on virtually all day>

I had no idea. I've been using chocolate medicinally to pacify myself when I'm holding a screaming baby all day. Perhaps a bad move. sad.gif

#15 niggles

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

Resulted in a green mucousy poo for DD so I avoided it for the first few months and then when I tried again, she seemed fine with it. Even one choc-chip biscuit had this effect within 12 hours or so. Something in it was obviously reacting in her newly developed gut.

#16 mmh

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

Same here - DD got a became more unsettled when I had chocolate (though i ate quite a bit a few days in a row when I first went grocery shopping after bub), and it happened when I ate a bit too much  biggrin.gif on other days. But now DD is nearly 6 months and I ate some yesterday (I raided DS's chocolate stash from his parties ) and she's fine.

#17 louise3now4

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

Never affected any of mine (but then nothing did), and sometimes I ate more chocolate in a day than any other form of calories. Boy I was happy on those days. But as pp's have said, all foods are trial and error and even if it affects bubs for a short time, you should always try to reintroduce as soon as you can because their tolerance can improve so quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.