at birth: did your hospital provide nappies?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 *Babylove*

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:23 AM

When your bub was born, did the hospital provide the nappies for you while you were there, or did you have to provide your own?

When ds was born we had to provide our own nappies, but we thought the hospital provided them so we hadn't packed any. They told df to go home and get some, but the weather was really bad and he phoned to say he couldn't possibly make it back until after work the next day. One nice nurse gave me some, but another nurse told me that was 'unacceptable' and she shouldn't have done that. I asked her what was I supposed to do, df couldn't make it back to the hospital, so was I supposed to keep ds in the same nappy for two days? She told me my df should come back no matter what, and she had half a mind to take those nappies from me.

Grrr, I don't know what was a happier day, the day ds was born or the day I got out of that retched hospital (really, I'm just kidding. The day ds was born wins hands down!)

#2 Littlegreenfrog

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:28 AM

Yes the hospital supplied all nappies for bub.
thats john hunter hospital in newcastle

-Trudie

#3 ~Veritas~

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:45 AM

Yep the hospital provided us with nappies for all the children when they were born. When DD was born at Tweed Heads years ago it was cloth squares, for the others it was disposables at Liverpool Hospital.

ETA:-Both are public hospitals.

Edited by ~Veritas~, 17 January 2007 - 07:51 AM.

#4 ilovecream

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:47 AM

yes flannelette ones ...

ETA : Public hospital

Edited by samie73, 17 January 2007 - 06:03 AM.

#5 Cirius

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:48 AM

I had both of my children at the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Hobart.  For my first, there was an unlimited supply of disposable nappies in his "trolley" (I know that's not te right word, but can't think what is).  For my second, I was supplied with one disposable nappy.  It's a public hospital, so I guess that's why they cut back.  I brought along my own nappies both times.  Didn't the hospital habe somewhere on the premises that you could have bought some from?  What a nasty nurse - it may have been "unacceptable" but you can't deprive a baby of a nappy.  You have to bend the rules sometimes.

Meagan

#6 jutila

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:12 AM

When I had DS in early 2002 the hospital (public) had just switched from providing cloth nappies (which patients paid the nappy service for) to providing no nappies. People just bring packets of disposables in for the hospital stay, though we took cloth as that's what we were going to use.

#7 Guest_cjmjsmum_*

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:20 AM

I had DS in 2003 and DD in 2005, both times we were supplied with flannette nappies. And both were born in public hospitals.

Mel

#8 ~JASB~

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:21 AM

Had to supply my own nappies all 3 times, but it's made very clear beforehand that this is the case.  It obviously wasn't made clear to you.  The way that nurse treated you was disgraceful  mad.gif

DS2 has been in hospital regularly since birth and at his children's hospital nappies are supplied.

Both are public hospitals, you'd think it would be standard in public hospitals wouldn't you?  They either do or they don't.  Doesn't seem to be the case.

#9 madmummy

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

All my children born in public hospital.  All supplied with disposables.

I have never heard of hospitals providing cloth, thats pretty good isn't it.

#10 LittleMissPink

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:01 AM

I packet of newborn sposies here, public hospital.

#11 Sunny003

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:20 AM

Flannie squares and snibs here for both boys!

Im pretty sure they just get washed by the linen service.

they do not however supply clothes anymore, and even a vase is hard to come by...people were flogging them  ohmy.gif

oh thats public btw.

Paulette

#12 --binda--

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:26 AM

Small packet of huggies nappies, and a packet of johnson and johnson wipes.

Public Hospital.

#13 jaccam

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:27 AM

(public Hospital)  for both boys we were provided with 1 small packet of newborn higgies ( I think it had about 10) and one small packet of johnson wipes.

However,  We were not given the nappies until the babies had passed their first wee, and once the packet of nappies was finished you had to either provide your own, or use their coth nappies.

#14 MJHBTH

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

yep disposables supplied both times here as well in the public system. DS1 they supplied wipes DS2 they wouldn't grrrrrrrrrr wish they had told us that  before we were settled in the room

Bec

#15 justanothermember

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:29 AM

No we had to bring our own nappies.

Although DS had to go into the special care nursery for 24 hours after he was born and they provided nappies in there.

Edited by ~sophiesmummy~, 17 January 2007 - 07:32 AM.

#16 ~FlowerTot~

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

Public Hospital, we had to pay $11 for either cloth or disposables with DS, and also got a small packet of wipes as well. This time we are just going to bring a small packet with us original.gif

#17 catnat

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:42 AM

We had flannelette nappies and snibs provided at both hospitals the boys were in- one Private and one public. When they were first born and in the humidicrib thingos they had disposables on provided by the hospital. Had to laugh at our local old school and very outdated public one as they had already folded nappies so 'The dads could help out'! Hmmmmmmm is it really that hard to learn how to fold a nappy and seriously it would be HIS baby so 'helping' isn't the right word!!! Anyway DH got bored one day so folded a pile of nappies for the pile- the nurses were very impressed when he folded his 'own' nappies to change the boys ohmy.gif

The Private hospital provided clothes but our public one 'claimed' to provide them only in the SCN as it was easier to know what was theirs when parents weren't there- however they had 3 wondersuits and a few nighties and that was it wacko.gif.  When I went in later to donate a pile of clothes I was told they don't accept them as they don't like using wondersuits etc. as they are too difficult- no idea what they expect the babies to wear! If we ever have to go back to there I would make a big sign 'These are all OUR clothes so please pop in bag provided' or something as I feel sorry for those with babies in the SCN who are told you HAVE to use their things so they don't mix them up.

Also I heard that Huggies provide a lot of the big hospitals with their nappies kind of like 'marketing' so I think that is why some provide them and others don't. TBH I don't understand why more hospitals aren't just cloth as hospitals already have huge amounts of linen so what is a few extra nappies?

OP- That sounds terrible what she said to you. However I had a nurse go right off at me a few hours after the boys were born as I didn't have the right 'net' knickers. After C/S they like you to have these disposable knickers made out of mesh that just stretch over. I hadn't seen them on the list (or known what they were) and at 2am leaving in a hurry hadn't been a big consideration on my mind and I had never really thought too much about having an emergency C/S. I had just taken a pile of cheap knickers planning to just throw them out but that just was NOT good enough! I ended up calling mum in tears to buy some on her way to the hospital- she then had a hell of a time even finding them!

#18 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

No. My hospital didn't proved anything for the baby other than a place for it to sleep. It's a very large major hospital here so I was a little surprised and an it's a pain talking everything with you.

I was given a record that had all my medical details recoded at each visit (I had to bring it) and on about page two they had a list of what I had to bring. So it was made very clear that there would be no nappies supplied although they did put one on dd in recovery.

#19 nellie22

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:47 AM

Back in 2004 we had to supply our own at a public hospital (RBWH Brisbane).  At the time all our friends who delivered at a private hospital laughed and scoffed at this saying that they didn't have to supply a thing at their private hospital.  

Three years later I am about to deliver No2 child and have decided to deliver at this private hospital all our friends raved about.  No freebies 3yrs later on ... Hospital now insists I have to supply our own nappies.  Oh well ....

#20 mindabell

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:48 AM

I had DD at Campbelltown Hospital & everything for her was supplied (nappies, clothes, wraps).  When I had DS at RWH (Brisbane), I had to bring everything.

During one of my appointments ast the Hospital, the midwife told  me that I would have to bring everything for baby as the funding had been cut for that area.  She then added "but for some reason we can provide you with a Baby Record Book" & rolled her eyes.

#21 ~Veritas~

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

TBH I don't understand why more hospitals aren't just cloth as hospitals already have huge amounts of linen so what is a few extra nappies?

Terry or flannelette nappies I could see the sense in providing, they are relatively cheap to buy and care for. Others though, would be too expensive. Especially at a major hospital.

#22 mum2brodie

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

DS was born in a Private Hospital - We were supplied with cloth nappies and a packet of disposable ones, which where replenished when we got low.

My GF had a baby in a public and she had to supply nappies the problem was that with 6 people in her room the kept being pinched.

#23 Etcetera

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:04 AM

Yes, Huggies and also wipes. We were there for a week so used more than one packet of each and they supplied more at no cost - even though we tried to replace them! original.gif

We were told that we had to bring everything ourselves but they provided everything, including cream.

#24 Guest_**Slappy**_*

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

Both the hospitals my girls were born at provided terry squares... if you wanted to use disposables you had to provide them yourself. I think that is perfectly reasonable original.gif

#25 Nieuw mij

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:06 AM

We went private so i dont know if it made  difference but we got packets upon packets of huggies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.