at birth: did your hospital provide nappies?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 Lee~XOX

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:10 AM

Both the hospitals my girls were born at provided terry squares... if you wanted to use disposables you had to provide them yourself. I think that is perfectly reasonable

Bowral District (public) was the same when I had DS in August.  They didn't provide wipes or cream though.  

Lee

#27 renee_101

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:19 AM

I had DD in a public hospital, and everything was provided - terry squares, wipes, clothes, nappies.

The midwife told us that the terry squares just went in with the laundry. If we wanted disposables then we had to bring them, fair enough. we used cloth anyway

We were actually discouraged from bringing anything, as if it went in their laundry accidently they said we'd never see it ever again! So they said bring only a going home outfit.

Its really weird that all public hospitals are different, you would think that they would all be standard. Private i can understand being different everywhere.

#28 Guest_Kezlyn_*

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

DS had his own little pile of supplies next to his humidricrib - Huggies, wipes, saline, cotton wool, formula, etc. Each day someone came around and restocked the trolley - the staff told us if we didn't use what was there to take it home each night so it would be restocked again next day  ohmy.gif We didn't, but they still loaded us up when we went home.

Both hospitals he was in were private - the first one provided nappies in the room, replenished each day, but I'm not sure if the second one provided them for the regular rooms or if it was just for the SCN. And yes, they got the supplies free from the companies as a marketing tool, along with formula, baby wash, and massage oil. So you could try all that stuff and decide what you liked.

DS was provided with a single singlet in the first hospital which we were told needed to be given back. And also a large amount of hand knitted hats - keep in the NICU/SCN for the premmies. However, they let him wear the singlet in the ambulance when he was transferred so we ended up with it. We had to provide clothes for him in the second hospital.

#29 tracey77

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

My Hospital (public) will be providing a packet of disposables, and some small baby wash and lotions.  As I recall, they also did this when I had DS 5 years ago.  All I have to bring is any clothes that I want baby to wear home(they provide nighties and wraps and anything else you may need), a wrap to take baby home in and thats about it! Sure makes it a lot easier!

#30 violets

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

I had DS at a private hospital (JHC, Perth) and was provided with flannelette nappies and J&J wipes.  I didn't see a disposable the whole time I was in there.

#31 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:32 AM

Yes, but only cloth nappies. The hospital also provided wipes and clothing.

#32 muser

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

RPA in Sydney provides terry squares and snappys for the duration of stay in hospital. You have to arrange your own nappy for when you leave to go home.

#33 Ange

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:47 AM

We were supplied with nappies for DS, and also bunny rugs and bath stuff..

King Edward Memorial Hospital, Perth (Public)

#34 JuliaGulia

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

I've had 4 babies at 3 different hospitals (BC, public and private) and all have supplied cloth nappies.  Private hospital also provided wipes, creams, clothes and wraps for the duration, although I preferred to use my own clothes and wraps.

I thought that most hospitals discouraged new mums from using disposables because they want to monitor the wet nappies to make sure the milk is going through.

#35 K1

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

We were at Calvary Private in Canberra, and they supplied cloth nappies, cloth wipes, wraps, clothes. Great, as we were cloth nappying as well so DH never experienced the disposables (therefore pro-cloth brainwashing easier, hehehe  wink.gif )

#36 *Suzanne*

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

I cant believe that left your baby in the same nappy for two days!  That is so cruel....!  Rigardless of public or private hospital, they main goal is to help care for our precious new babies.

My baby was born at St Vincents Private in Melbourne and they provided cloth nappies.  I chose to use disposables and had to provide them myself.

#37 Smurtle the Turtle

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:17 AM

DS1, public, supplied everything including disposables

DS2, private, supplied everything including disposables

#38 shangobunni

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

I had Cooper at Calvary (public) in Canberra and as K1 said everything was provided, but if you wanted to use disposables you had to BYO.

#39 cookie*jar

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

Our hospital (public) supplied disposable nappies, wipes, creams and bath lotions, and clothes (though we brought our own clothes for bubs).

#40 maganda΅angels

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

When i had DS they gave us nappies. Did they say anything about having to take nappies in? Either way that's ridiculous and i'd complain!

#41 SKP1972

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

Given nappies for both bubs and in fact they insisted we take the remainder of the packet home with us, they also provided wipes and all linen for bubs, as well as any washes for bubs bath etc.

This was at Hurstville Community Hospital which is private.

That nurse sounds like she was really horrible, policy or not there is no way she should have spoken to you like that.  I would definately say something to the hospital otherwise they wouldn't know it was happening.

#42 marvy

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:56 PM

When I had my eldest at Redcliffe Hospital in 93 they supplied cloth, my younger two born in 2000 and 2001 were given a packet of Huggies Newborn which had about 12 or 16 nappies in it?
Not sure if they still do this, but would be interested to know.
I am going to Northwest this time and have no idea of their policy so I suppose I better ask. lol.

#43 ~JASB~

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

Back in 2004 we had to supply our own at a public hospital (RBWH Brisbane). At the time all our friends who delivered at a private hospital laughed and scoffed at this saying that they didn't have to supply a thing at their private hospital.

I have to admit I had a giggle at that.  I'd be laughing and scoffing right back at them.  I'd rather pay for my nappies than the OOP expenses going private  wink.gif

#44 Aphrael1

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

I went to Mater Mothers in Brisbane for my DD and they supplied the nappies in special care and when she came to me I had to supply the nappy. She also came to me in a little hand made top (which I've still got) which she lived in for a few nights before being dressed in baby clothes (after my caesar I wasn't mobile for a few days, and DD had a bung in her arm for meds).

I didn't have anything prepared as she was born 3 weeks early and at the start the hosp gave me a single pack disp nappy to use. DH bought some nappies the next day tho so we were set original.gif

I have heard of hosp supplying cloth and I think its a great idea, would love to go to a hosp that does that original.gif

#45 Team Awesome

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

I had my two at NGH and they supplied the first nappy and nighties, singlets and wraps, cotton wool balls, cotton buds and washers, and lotions and creams bath stuff etc (also formula if its was required)... however wipes and the rest of the nappies were up to us...
It was made clear to us but I think that the way you were treated was atrocious... I've had some lovely middies/nurses after my kids but unfortunately one or two werent quite as nice and marred the experience a little for me... at least you now know and can pass the info on to anyone else you know who's going there. maybe contact the antenatal clinic and get the to ensure women know to bring them along in their bags!

mindabell- thats only cos they HAVE to supply the record book to you.

#46 nellie22

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

I am going to Northwest this time and have no idea of their policy so I suppose I better ask.

That's where I am going to have my bub next week!  

Not sure if you have received your "Ramsay Health Care, North West" Information booklets yet but on page 8 on the "Maternity Unit" book lists things to bring and they have put down "2 packets of Nappies", 1 Container of Baby wipes etc etc etc.

I will be able to confirm this for you in 2wks time I guess after I come home!

#47 mali

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

I am so surprised at all the different responses.  My son was  born at a private hospital here in Melbourne and even though I took disposable nappies, he was not allowed to wear them for several days and even then it was frowned upon.

They wanted to keep the babies in cloth to monitor their weeing.  All of that was provided and the hospital would have provided clothes as well I think if we'd asked.

#48 ByTheOcean

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

DD1 - private hosp - they provided cloth nappies and all lotions and potions.

DD2 - private hosp - they provided cloth nappies, disp nappies and all lotions and potions.

DD3 - yet to arrive - will be in a public hosp and I have no idea (even though I work there...lol)   I think I better go find out!

#49 Just Mel

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

I went to the same hospital with both of mine. With DD (#1) I was given cloths, wraps and clothes. No wipes, just cotton wool balls as "wipes are bad for baby's bottom".
With DS, I can't totally remember, I had a packet of nappies but think I came home with most of them, so I think they were provided also clothes and wraps and baby wash. Again no wipes but I bought my own and was also provided with pads as well.

They felt sorry for me 'cause I had a cathiter in and was allergic to it (Which we didn't know at the time) so had lots of swelling for 3 days and could get out of bed becuase of the way they had set the cathiter up. So all the nurses would spend extra time with me and helped out so much more than normal, it was fantastic as I actually got a rest!

#50 *Babylove*

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

I really think the way the nurse got on was uncalled for.

Another time a nurse was explaining how to hold ds and she said 'don't hold him like this' and instead of explaining how not to hold him, she actually held him that way and almost dropped him. DF immediately flew over and took him out of her arms. I never let that nurse hold him anymore.

I must say, I had a horrible time in the hospital after ds was born...especially since each nurse had their own way to do things with babies, and they would watch me to make sure I did it their way. Every time I had a different nurse, I was told a different thing to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.