at birth: did your hospital provide nappies?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 J4CQUI

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:18 PM

I've had both my kids in a public hospital and they had cloth nappies supplied both times. These were washed by a nappy service that was paid for by the hospital (no charge to the patients).
They have since built a new maternity ward that I will have this baby at in March so I think I'd better check that they're still doing it the same way.... DD was born 3yrs ago so it might've changed.

#52 Meagan

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

#1 - cloth nappies, cant remember if there were wipes (it was 5.5 yrs ago)
#2 - packet of disposables & pack of wipes they forgot to give me til 3/4 through the 2nd day
#4 - dont know, will have to check.

#53 happyhearts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

2001 - Major public hospital, packet of 18 disposables and wipes provided.  Also J&J bath stuff and sudocream, wipes and cotton wool balls, clothes and blankets.  All I had to take was a going home outfit.

2003 - Same hospital, 19 months later nothing was supplied and they forgot to mention it to me and as it was my second I didn't seem to get the quantity of paperwork I got for the first so never saw anything that said what to bring etc.  Bit of shock but they did manage to scrounge up some nappies and wipes and clothes until DH could get back that afternoon with our stuff.

2005 - Smaller regional hospital, so much nicer - packet of 18 Huggies disposables and packet of 8 Huggies wipes.  We were told to bring all our own clothes, blankets and extra wipes and nappies.  There was a little J&J bath lotion provided and some flanelette wraps.

2007 - Must remember to check to see if anything has changed but I'm going to the same hospital as last time and so far nothing has been mentioned - must check at next Tuesday's appt so I can pack a bag.

#54 Eternal_Angel

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:55 PM

DS was born in a Private Hospital, everything was provided, we just had to supply the going home outfit. Even when I ran out of disposables they gave me another pack. They had cloth nappies there if we wanted to use them.
When we asked about it they told us they had done a 12 month study about what was better and about 90% of mums said disposables and they told us the cost and the environmental impact were virtually the same.
The only thing I didnt get was a bounty bag (we got something called a hello bebe bag which was similar) so I got it from the Chemist a couple of weeks later

#55 d&s

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:17 PM

I had DD at Redland Bay Mater 11 weeks ago and all I had to take in were clothes.
Nappies, Wipes J & J & hospital ones were supplied. As was bath wash and any creams and potions.
Also supplied was a never ending packet of pads for me and lots of iceblock thingy's for my pants (these are a godsend!!)
They also had a 24 hour kitchen where you could make toast etc and lots of vases (as well as single rooms!!)
This is a public hospital.

#56 wiggler

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

i got cloth nappies, clothes, wraps, lotions and potions, towels etc. if i wanted to use disposables i had to provide them myself. i also had to have my own pins or snappy happies.

we also had a 24 hr kitchen

my nurses where lovely. very unintrussive. helpful if i asked. took bubby so we could have a rest. even let chris and i go out for lunch one day and dinner before we took bubby home. we missed him terribly and rushed back. they laughed and said most parents do that.

#57 Shellby

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

With my 1st I was public, the hospital supplied cloth nappies and washers for wipes, however he was sick and we were then quickly rushed (once they listened to me) to the Mater, SCN supplied nappies and then he was moved to the children's hospital, where they supplied disp. nappies and wipes - they also had a box of clothes to dress you baby in while they were there - so it was kinda fun choosing outfits considering all our stuff was 200kms away, and here we were not knowing what was happening to our baby who was born healthy, and then got very sick very fast - to be honest to this day we still don't know what was wrong.

My 2nd was private - again they supplied cloth nappies and washers for wipes - but I have no idea how to fold them and use them so I had brought my own pack of huggies along. They also supplied these cute wondersuits for the babies to wear. One day the midwife changed Ben's nappy and she had never used a disp. nappy and started putting it on backwards, my friend and I had a giggle before showing her the right way - she thought it was funny considering she was the head nurse, but again she only uses cloth at the hospital and was in her 40-50s.

I hope next time the experince at hospital is much nicer for you.

#58 ~crackajac~

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

yep my hospital provided a packet of huggies newborn, if you ran out they gave you a new packet and you got to take the remainders home with you as they can't give them to anyone else

#59 CSF

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

Frances Perry House in Melbourne provided everything...

#60 Sparkles123

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:27 PM

We had all our nappies supplied...

#61 Smidgy's Mum

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

Yep the San did back in Oct 2005
I'll let you know if The Hills does mid next year (he he he well that's the plan - just got to let DH know)

Liz

#62 foofie

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

Had both of my children privately (Hills Private) and both times were provided with nappies.

DS (2003) it was cloth all the way along with wipes, cotton wool, wraps and clothes etc.

DD (2005) it was mostly disposable (you had to ask for cloth) as it was a budget strain or something like that rolleyes.gif but like DS, everything was provided.

#63 Kez75

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

I had to bring my own - both public and private.  The public actually had stock in bubs cot all ready for use and told me to take home whatever was left when discharged as they otherwise have to throw it out, even a full bag minus one nappy.  We used cloth too!  Esp. in the 1st 48 hrs.

Reminds me of the trouble I caused in private being told by one nurse to help myself to the "freezy pads" when I deeded them, another very grouchy and told me that I "should not be helping myself and that I was not allowed to have them past 48 hrs after birth"  OUCH!

#64 rosebudkt

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

I'm a bit confused...surely if you have your baby in a private hospital the nappies they provide aren't really free per se, because you've paid for health insurance? Therefore indirectly you've paid for your hospital stay and the accoutrements that go with it?

It seems to much of a muchness in my mind and really they are only 'free' if you attend a public hospital where you haven't paid any charges?

Just a thought...

#65 ~ Cez ~

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

Hi

With DD1 the hospital provided cloth nappies. For DD2 the hospital provided disposables.

#66 *Babylove*

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

not knowing what was happening to our baby who was born healthy, and then got very sick very fast

I'm so sorry that happened. How is he now?

#67 ~ZiggyStardust~

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:03 AM

HI ya

Gave birth at Newcastle Private Hospital in May last year and all nappies were provided - Huggies Newborn.

Chels

#68 Mishka101

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

Royal Hospital for women Sydney - public supplied cloth nappies. I am very suprised at all the other responses. I just assumed that was the go.

#69 missyisobel

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

Definately had to provide our own original.gif They told us at pre-natal classes so we were prepared.

#70 Obesa cantavit

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Two different private hospitals in inner Melbouren, One provided Huggies, the other cloth squares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.