Mastitis - How long till you feel better?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fuutardo

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hi Ladies,

My bub is just 3 weeks old and I managed to come down with mastitis last Thursday cry1.gif . Started antibiotics lunchtime on Friday and have now had 6.5 days of medication.

The red streaks have been very slow to fade and the pain is still pretty bad, in fact it's been feeling more sore the last 2 days. I'm also not 100% happy with how the breast is emptying at each feed.

So how long does it normally take before you start to see a marked improvement from the antibiotics? Could the increased pain just be engorgement ? (I'm expressing after most feeds and subsequetly my breasts are bursting every couple of hours (I'm feeding between 2-4 hourly depending on demand) or should I be going back to the doctor?

Suppose I've been surprised as to how slow my recovery has been.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Brooke with the sore (o)(o) ohmy.gif

#2 TheFruitcake

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

I had this when my dd was a week old  wacko.gif  Bloody awful isn't it? My red marks/streaks did take at least a week to go away, but the pain was clearing up well by about day 5 of the antib's. I would go back to your dr just to check, I would not be mucking around with it in case it is forming an abcess. HTH.

#3 rachelP

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

Hi there, Mastitis is a curse that is for certain. Terrible, terrible illness.
Can I ask why you are expressing between every feed? Could you maybe be over stimulating your supply? I know frequent feeding is recommended for mastitis, and emptying the breast frequently, but wondering if this is partially working against you. and also just thought... could it be your expressing that is causing it? sometimes a pump can do this.
Would you ring and chat to an ABA counsellor to talk through the whole situation? They are really helpful.
I have to say it does sound relatively slow for recovery with antibiotics to me (having had it too many times myself). I think I would be checking back in with your health professional.

#4 Lisa_S

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

had 6.5 days of medication.

See the doctor again. Most of the time that I ended up on antibiotics, they didnt work lol, the bacteria were resistant.

Mastitis for me lasts 24 hours. I've had it twice. I can tell when it starts to come on because my first symptom is always a temperature, headache, thirst, slight nausea (from the headache) and REALLY sore breasts.

Once I get that, I make up a big pot of echinacea and skullcap infusion and drink lots of it, about 8 cups spaced through out the day. I sleep a lot and breastfeed a lot and by the next morning I'm a lot better. I drink the infusion for another couple of days just to be sure.

You could try echinacea. It is really effective. Another REALLY effective treatment for mastitis is poke root!

#5 Boombox

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

I would second the PP and say go back to the GP. You should have had a lot of improvement after 24-36 hrs. You'll probably need a different AB- which one are you one now. And make sure it's at least a 10 day course (longer than usual)

I also used cabbage leaves. They smell gross and you feel a freak with a bra full of salad, but wow, did it work! There is some chemical in the cabbage that really reduces engorgement.

Also maybe change your bra- I had one that I quickly learned held my breast wrong and must have blocked a duct or something.

#6 Fuutardo

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was told by the ABA to express and empty the breast after every feed until the pain/ engorgement improved. The last couple of days I have only been expressing during the night and by early evening the pain is pretty bad. Expressing seems to relieve some of the soreness. I will call the ABA again and see what they say about expressing and adding to the problem.

I will definitely go back to the Doctor today. I can't stand the thought of this going on much longer.

#7 rachelP

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

Ah dear, that doesn't sound good.
A couple of other things:
Physiotherapists can do ultrasound and massage to assist with the blockage - ask your MCHN if there is a good female one in your area.
Homeopathics can work wonders. Also they wont go through your milk and get into your babies system.
Cabbage leaves work! Give them a go.
Rest is a huge factor with mastitis. Are you getting much of it? That is, getting your feet up type bed rest.
Vit. C can be really helpful when fighting off an infection.
Hope you are getting on top of it soon. original.gif
Rach

#8 JustSmileAndNod

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

Yep another ultrasound fan here, it sounds strange but it really works! I get blocked ducts and mastitis easily, and this worked a treat. My physio was a lady and you keep your nipples covered(!) they use a nice cooling gel and gently massage the ultrasound probe over the sore areas. I only needed one session to help.

I found had to stop wearing a bra to bed and at home, as it was restricting my ducts too much and made it reoccur. (Big boobs here and can't stand not wearing a bra!!)

Good luck it is horrible!

ETA paracetamol will help with the pain, and keeps your temperature down, perfectly safe while BF'ing.  biggrin.gif

Edited by melliepants, 23 March 2007 - 09:26 PM.

#9 koodle

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:38 AM

I agree.  def go back to doctor.  Check with ABA or your Early Childhood nurse the best antibiotic to go on - if you want to PM me I will let you know the one I went on - the first one that I went on did not work and I got put on the recommended one after (which I had to tell the doctor - both the AB and the dosage!!).

It is good that your supply is good - I have had probs with low supply ever swince I had mastitis.

And re cabbage leaves, my lactation consultant said that they are the same as using a cold face cloth.  I would put a warmed wheat bag on my boobs before feeding and then a face cloth that had been in the freezer after.  If you do use cabbage leaves, make sure you get an organic one as you don't want pesticides on it.  

The other thing I did was massage my boobs where lumps were - in a downward motion towards nipple - while feeding.  My husband would do it for me sometimes!  I have warded off three potential new infections this way.

All the best - PM me if you want anymore info, hope you feel better soon.

k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.