Downlights?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 KimminyCricket

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hi

We're in the process of swapping over our "normal" globes to the enironmentally friendly ones, but what about down lights?

We have downlights in the lounge, kitchen and dining room so I'd like to find a friendlier option if there is one.

TIA

Kim

Edited by *Boosmum*, 02 April 2007 - 09:04 AM.

#2 JRA

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

PLEASE LET ME BE WRONG

We did some serious searching when the new law was discussed a month or two ago. As far as we could tell there was no equivalent for downlights. The only way to get rid of downlights at the moment is do complete rewiring of where the downlights are.

Given we have 76? downlights in this house, we have not changed over.

I am hoping in the future this will change

#3 KimminyCricket

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

That's a shame  sad.gif  I will keep searching.  We're certainly not going to rewire, but I hope they develop something soon.

#4 JRA

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

ETA - The rewiring is honestly no a huge hassel. They'll just get rid of all the excess wires and just run on set. Its the replastering that's the issue.

It may not be a hassle but it is a huge expense to rewire a house.

#5 melandned

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

there are 'greener' downlights available here
http://www.todae.com.au/comersus2/store/co...CFRBGGAodugZjkQ

bit exy of course but i'm sure if you do a google you could find some cheaper ones

cheers
mel

#6 ~Susan~

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

I thought when they had that recent thing on tv that they said then that you can buy energy efficient downlights now? to ask your lighting shop to order them in? We have them in 2 rooms and need to replace them.

#7 melandned

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

guys! see post 8

#8 melandned

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

no worries, it just seemed that it got missed

sorry pmt!  wub.gif

#9 JRA

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

Those are the normal halogen downlights, they are the ones that will illegal. ((as per post 8)

TheCrone, the flourescent downlight kits, last time I looked had a completely different connection etc, hence needing the rewiring. But will certainly check next time we are there.

The other problem of course is that they are not dimmable.

#10 ~Susan~

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

when they had the 'coolaid' show on channel ten a month or so ago, they showed downlights that were dimmable and said you need to ask your light shops/retailers to order them  in.

#11 JRA

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

susan, we will do some more chasing.

thanks

#12 ~Susan~

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

yep I'm going to do some chasing too, we have 2 rooms wiht them, one with dimmer one wihtout.

#13 JRA

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

We have every room grrrr

#14 Nephnie

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Very interesting topic... I always wondered if there was a down side to down lights! Pardon the pun... blush.gif

Thanks for the info girls! Will keep it in the back of my mind when it comes time to redo the kitchen!
Steph.

#15 JRA

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

Coley that sounds an easy process for a whole house.

#16 Binna

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:11 AM

Is this what you are looking for?.

I was just looking for Bokashi Bins and found them, not sure if they are appropriate.

#17 JRA

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

That is great, but it does require the rewiring as it is does not need the transformers, and the dimmers have to be removed.

If I was starting from scratch I would probably use them, but aren't prepared to spend the thousands yet to change. OK if I was really committed I would get the electrician in for 3+ days to do it, but I admit I am not that ready to fork out big $

#18 Indi

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

We're not doing anything until it becomes law.  A lot can change in technology in a few years.

Fluorescent lights in all the living areas - yuck.  Until they create ones that give ambience, forget it.

Again, like water, this issue does nothing to stop business wasting power.  Why isn't it compulsory for every office to have sensors installed so when you're not in a room the lights go off?

We're building at the moment and have solar hot water and solar panels to supplement our heating and electricity - that's my green contribution.  I'll be buggered if I'm going to sit under fluro lights in my lounge room until I have to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.